ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a bit worried because I've been getting alot of negative feedback of running untuned short ram intake with cobb stage 2 on a car that im about to purchase. If the compression/leakdown test comes out clean, is that untuned intake still doing significant amount of damage to the car? How big of a deal is this because I might be getting misinformed.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I am getting a bit worried because I've been getting alot of negative feedback of running untuned short ram intake with cobb stage 2 on a car that im about to purchase. If the compression/leakdown test comes out clean, is that untuned intake still doing significant amount of damage to the car? How big of a deal is this because I might be getting misinformed.
What kinda intake is it?? What modds are on the car. Just downpipe and intake??

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mods are perrin down pipe/ up-pipe, Inviadia G200 catback, Cobb stage2, short ram intake, Perrin F/R sway bar, Cusco F/R strut bar, OEM turbo boost gauge, Momo shift knob, Kartboy short shifter, JDM side skirt, Tint 35%, debadge trunk, Rota D2, Rays blue Lugs nuts, hid kit, tanabe lowering spring , DNA 4000 series slotted rotor with new hawk pad.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
I'm guessing I freaked you out in your other post? :rolleyes: You could have just asked me there...

Let me clarify: It's unlikely the car will explode, BUT, it's almost certainly using a map with parts the map was not designed for. As far as damage, it is possible, but if the compression and leakdown test come back positive, and the car has a clean bill of health otherwise, I wouldn't be terribly concerned. I would budget for a protune at some point, but a solid checkup now would be enough to ally any reservatations I had.

Also check out this thread. It's extremely detailed, I realize, but the information is excellent.

EDIT: Also this thread

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha.. kind of and i've been looking into it because not just you but others have mentioned it of being careful of a nontuned intake. But thank you I am looking into the thread as we speak. Also, I was thinking of converting back into stock or replacing it with another intake; any suggestions? Replace it with stock/another intake or just go protune it?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Haha.. kind of and i've been looking into it because not just you but others have mentioned it of being careful of a nontuned intake. But thank you I am looking into the thread as we speak. Also, I was thinking of converting back into stock or replacing it with another intake; any suggestions? Replace it with stock/another intake or just go protune it?
Going back to stock would be most effective. The stock intake easily provides far more airflow than the stock turbo can handle, so that would be easiest and cheapest. You could probably make a few bucks off the one that's in there, and scanning the classifieds should land you a stock airbox and ram scoop for around $40. I'm not sure if the current owner removed it or not, but the intake silencer located in the driver's right side fender can be removed with the stock intake to get a pleasant induction noise (sounds like a cold air intake) with zero risk of damage. Search around here for "Intake Silencer Delete" or "Snorkus Delete". You can see if it's still installed by looking at the fender holes near the intake and seeing if there is still a plastic pipe-looking thing in there.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I'm guessing I freaked you out in your other post? :rolleyes: You could have just asked me there...

Let me clarify: It's unlikely the car will explode, BUT, it's almost certainly using a map with parts the map was not designed for. As far as damage, it is possible, but if the compression and leakdown test come back positive, and the car has a clean bill of health otherwise, I wouldn't be terribly concerned. I would budget for a protune at some point, but a solid checkup now would be enough to ally any reservatations I had.

Also check out this thread. It's extremely detailed, I realize, but the information is excellent.

EDIT: Also this thread
+1
Good info for OP

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you guys for the quick and accurate response. Also for hid kit thats at 12k is there a way to just lower it to 6k or would you have to remove it and reinstall it again?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Thank you guys for the quick and accurate response. Also for hid kit thats at 12k is there a way to just lower it to 6k or would you have to remove it and reinstall it again?
Pics of said kit? If this is one of those ebay kits that just come with bulbs and some ballasts, and the sticks into a standard halogen lamp, technically you could just put in different bulbs, but "HID kits" are dangerous for several factors. See HERE for excellent resources on the topic.

"Retrofits" on the other hand will use OEM projector components installed into your factory lights to provide a safe and legal beam pattern, and will actually provide more usable light. Companies like LightWerkz will do this for you, or you can source parts from companies like TheRetroFitSource.com

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
If this was an older model, which I recall it being...if it's a "good" intake, you won't have a problem really per se, especially if it's on a Cobb Stage 2 map. Intakes weren't as much of an issue on the GDB models as they are with the 3Gens are now. If it's an SPT, Cobb, APS, or K&N Typhoon, you're probably fine.

·
Master Baiter
22,115 Posts
Use the Cobb AP to pull the learned fuel trims. That will give you an idea of how "safe" the intake is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts