Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, greeting from Kansas everyone. So I bought a 2016 STI the other day and the guy before me had a Cobb SF intake, ETS extreme cat back and a Cobb accessport currently running 91 Stage two. My question, is it safe to run a stage two like that with no fuel upgrades and with a stock down pipe? Or should I just run that 91+SF? I would rather not mess up my car. Any advice is very much appreciated.
Paul

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
Read Cobb's map notes. They will answer all your questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing though, I've talked to two different people from Cobb, one over email and one on the phone. One guy told me you can't run the stage two with a stock down pipe and the other guy told me as long as you have a stock down pipe + Cobb Intake or vice versa, you will be fine. I just want to know if anyone has done this without and complications.

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
That's the thing though, I've talked to two different people from Cobb, one over email and one on the phone. One guy told me you can't run the stage two with a stock down pipe and the other guy told me as long as you have a stock down pipe + Cobb Intake or vice versa, you will be fine. I just want to know if anyone has done this without and complications.
No one from Cobb ever told you that you could run a Stage II tune on the stock downpipe, I promise you that.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
Follow the map notes strictly. The stage 2 + SF map notes explicitly state the use of a high flow 3" catted downpipe and a Cobb intake as being required. The Stage 1 + sf map notes state the use of a stock downpipe and a Cobb intake only. Have you confirmed the downpipe is indeed stock?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohhhhhh a promise? Don't ever break that. Bill- Yeah it's stock. I'm just going to end up switching it back to 1+sf to avoid any damage.

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
Good plan.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
If it's been run with a stock downpipe and a stage 2 tune for any amount of time you should probably do a compression test.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
There was likely a miscommunication involved. S2 requires an aftermarket turboback exhaust, per the map notes; some people have gotten away with running just an aftermarket downpipe, but if you have issues, Cobb can always simply say you didn't follow the map notes, and that's why you're having problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I put it on the 91+SF and it seems fine besides my peak boost hit 19 and they say that the target should be 17.5. Is that number huge and I should be worried? Should I try running the LWG version?

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
littleredcrate said:
Thanks for the info guys. I put it on the 91+SF and it seems fine besides my peak boost hit 19 and they say that the target should be 17.5. Is that number huge and I should be worried? Should I try running the LWG version?
Not intimately familiar with Cobb mapping for your car, but they generally are [TARGET] +/- 1 PSI. If you're hitting 1.5PSI above target, it might be worthwhile for you to consider the LWG mapping. Read the map notes, though, and see if that variance level is accounted for.

Again, I'm not familiar with how Cobb maps out their tables, but overboosting could put you into load cells that aren't tuned for, and could pose an issue. I would assume that with their canned mappings you should be all set, as they would account for that (especially with S1 mapping), but I would still look to have your car performing as intended. You want your car within the map notes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll look into it more. Granted, that was just off the dash and not actually on my accessport. Tomorrow I'm going to mount it and save some logs.

·
Master Baiter
12,651 Posts
littleredcrate said:
I'll look into it more. Granted, that was just off the dash and not actually on my accessport. Tomorrow I'm going to mount it and save some logs.
The info will be the same. The dash pod is reading the ECU like the Cobb AP would.

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
That is absolutely not a stock downpipe. Aftermarket, unsure of brand.

·
Æternum
15,855 Posts
Not stock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
BooSTIng
2,288 Posts
So I believe your car is properly tuned for the mods you have. Cobbs map notes for the Stage 2 +SF 91 oct tune are a downpipe (catted), and their SF intake. No fueling upgrades are required to run this map with your mods. You have an aftermarket downpipe that is catted, a catback, and cobbs SF intake. Which meets the criteria to run that stage 2 map you currently have installed. All is good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the reply and the info. I just have a question and I am absolutely not trying to insult your intelligence, but do you mean the stage1 +sf? I can't find a stage 2+sf for a 2016.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the reply and the info. I just have a question and I am absolutely not trying to insult your intelligence, but do you mean the stage1 +sf? I can't find a stage 2+sf for a 2016.
this should be it assuming your car is a US Manual

https://www.cobbtuning.com/maps/2016-subaru-wrx-mt-usdm-stage-2-bigsf-map

Related Modifications
Engine Management: COBB Accessport
Intake: COBB Big SF Intake
Turbo-Back: Aftermarket Turbo-Back , COBB TurboBack Exhaust

1 - 20 of 41 Posts