Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got my nameless turboback installed and went cobb stage 2 on my 17 sti I been monitoring feedback knock, fine knock and DAM as well and while fine knock is minimal I been seeing feedback knock occasionally go to -1.4 and my DAM has been at .562 I only have been running this tune for a couple days and have been told it could correct itself and it might just be the gas I used (91 oct) has anyone ran into this issue or have suggestions to correct it/ am I worried about nothing

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
A dam of .562 is bad. What time are you using? There are several stage 2 tunes. One for 93, 91 and 91acn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Are you overboosting? Do you use acn fuel or the 91 the rest of us get?

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
If you don't live in Arizona, California, or Nevada then I would think something is leaking. When you changed the down pipe did you change anything else, or take anything out and replace it?

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
Check all of those connections for a leak. Also check around the turbo inlet and anything post maf sensor.

·
Super Moderator
11,417 Posts
If you can swing it I would avoid driving until you get it ironed out. I know it's not always a reality, but if you can avoid it. Verify in the map notes the boost targets and that you are not blowing them as well. Normal is non specific. From several threads I've seen here and posts I've seen elsewhere it's normal for the fa20 to spike to 20+psi but it's not good.

Im no tuning pro, but in my reading on the newer sti it is more limited with fuel, which is why there isn't a tune available from cobb for an intake and turbo back, and if you have a leak there is the possibility it can't compensate at all. That's a long shot though.

I would suspect a leak somewhere though.

·
Registered
386 Posts
FYI I have/had the same issue. I did a ton of data log with COBB support, but they didn't help and said all was normal :shakehead:. Here in NV we get the crappy hippyland gas. So fix I found was to make 93 octane with 3 gallons of 100 octane and 11/12 gallons of 91 octane. This adds $21 to a fill up, but my DAM hasn't moved from 1 ever since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you can swing it I would avoid driving until you get it ironed out. I know it's not always a reality, but if you can avoid it. Verify in the map notes the boost targets and that you are not blowing them as well. Normal is non specific. From several threads I've seen here and posts I've seen elsewhere it's normal for the fa20 to spike to 20+psi but it's not good.

Im no tuning pro, but in my reading on the newer sti it is more limited with fuel, which is why there isn't a tune available from cobb for an intake and turbo back, and if you have a leak there is the possibility it can't compensate at all. That's a long shot though.

I would suspect a leak somewhere though.

XJman is on the right track. The 17's fuel system requires an upgrade before tuning to stage 2+. This would include the fuel pump, injectors, and regulator. I spoke to COBB last Friday about this exact issue. It's why they haven't released any stage 2+ maps yet. If you combine an intake and a TBE, you will need to do the fuel system upgrade. Your issues will go away with those upgrades and a ProTune. You won't find a Protuner that will work on your car at stage 2 or 2+ without the fuel system to support the tune. I have a 17 STI, as well, and they mentioned that they're testing will be done in a month or two. I've been waiting for the FlexFuel kit, myself, but I stopped at 1+ and have been concentrating on suspension and drivetrain components until then.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
XJman is on the right track. The 17's fuel system requires an upgrade before tuning to stage 2+. This would include the fuel pump, injectors, and regulator. I spoke to COBB last Friday about this exact issue. It's why they haven't released any stage 2+ maps yet. If you combine an intake and a TBE, you will need to do the fuel system upgrade. Your issues will go away with those upgrades and a ProTune. You won't find a Protuner that will work on your car at stage 2 or 2+ without the fuel system to support the tune. I have a 17 STI, as well, and they mentioned that they're testing will be done in a month or two. I've been waiting for the FlexFuel kit, myself, but I stopped at 1+ and have been concentrating on suspension and drivetrain components until then.
Right, but OP isn't trying to run a stage 2+. Cobb doesn't even offer a stage 2+. OP is running a stage 2 tune and, from what is assumed, appropriate stage 2 parts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree.

Maybe, I'm making the assumption he has an intake on his car. If not, then you're right.

If that's the case, the COBB Stage 2 tune isn't for a Nameless DP. Before going too much further, get the car ProTuned. The COBB tunes are only for COBB parts.

Thanks for reply, McBill.

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
I agree.

Maybe, I'm making the assumption he has an intake on his car. If not, then you're right.

If that's the case, the COBB Stage 2 tune isn't for a Nameless DP. Before going too much further, get the car ProTuned. The COBB tunes are only for COBB parts.

Thanks for reply, McBill.
Cobb stage 2 tune states that it can be used with any 3 inch high flow catted downpipe. Nameless is compatible.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do have the cobb intake I was planning on getting a protune next month after installing my fmic I just don't want my car to blow up before then

·
Village Idiot
2,450 Posts
I do have the cobb intake I was planning on getting a protune next month after installing my fmic I just don't want my car to blow up before then
This is your problem. Stage 2 is explicitly ONLY for a 3 inch turbo back exhaust with a high flow catted DP. Moreover, as stated before, the 2015+ STi's fueling systems do not allow for anything more than a turbo back exhaust to be added without needing upgrades to the fueling system. See this article: https://www.cobbtuning.com/2015-sti-development-staged-power-package-evaluation/

Remove the Cobb intake and install the stock intake. This should fix your problem.

·
For External Use Only
2,488 Posts
You're running an intake on a car that's not tuned for it and you wonder why you're having issues? lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts