ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently running the Cobb 2.5 with fuel pump.

I know it is making the car run a little rich.

Should I remove it, the cobb map says no fuel pump.

Or should I keep it and wait for stage 3 as I've heard a fuel pump is required on Cobb's upcomming stage 3.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well I have stage 2 and before I sent my ecu they were aware of me having my fuel pump and they said as long as I have the factory fuel pressure regulator that the ecu would be fine. As far as stage 3 I really don't know what it will require. Hope this helps. If anything give them a call, there really help you when you have questions.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Bump. I want to know that answer for the same.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It will run fine either way. Assuming the pump can handle demand, the FPR will control pressure and the ECU will control flow. Having a high-flow pump will not make you run rich since the flash controls the AF ratio. Seems like Cobb Stage 2.5 users are pretty evenly split on pump vs. no pump. I bought the pump but did not install it and everything is running fine. Many have installed the pump and are running fine as well. It will need to be done for Stage III, so I'd recommend leaving it installed so you don't have to do it again.

Jimbo

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just got of the phone with cobb and they told me stage 3 will consist of a vf34/30 turbo,Full turboback,UP,Injectors and Fuel Pump, Bigger TMIC. They said this will allow the fuel system to run at its peak and allow the turbo to also work at its peak. The major part is the TMIC which would lower the temp and allow for better tuning.

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
I GOT cobbstage 2.5 with a perrin fmic i floor it and my EGT stays a 61/2 celsius all the time ............but i dont go on it a lot, im getting tuned in 2 weeks im just waiting

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alex0180 said:
I just got of the phone with cobb and they told me stage 3 will consist of a vf34/30 turbo,Full turboback,UP,Injectors and Fuel Pump, Bigger TMIC. They said this will allow the fuel system to run at its peak and allow the turbo to also work at its peak. The major part is the TMIC which would lower the temp and allow for better tuning.
Did they give any dates as to when the stage 3 or intercooler will be released?

·
Registered
773 Posts
<------prays intercooler will be a reasonable price. I dont feel like spending a grand on it. I already have the rest of the stuff.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Cobb recommends their own turboback exhaust with their Stage II package. Do you need to use Cobb's turboback? Nope. Just good marketing by Cobb.

Do I think you'll have to use Cobb's I/C with their Stage III package? Not if you can find one with similar core dimensions and surface area.

I will comment that it would be nice if Cobb would offer a tune for FMIC since I have heard from many tuners that timing can be advanced another 5-10 degrees with FMIC. Free power when you consider that a good FMIC is not much more expensive.

Jimbo

·
Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Admin
48,699 Posts
Yep, I'm another guy running the Cobb VF34 flash with no pump upgrade. I wouldn't think putting the pump on would matter one way or the other. You either have enough pressure, or you don't. As said, the ECU and pressure regulator should take care of correctly feeding the injectors. Your richness is no doubt due to Cobb's tuning. For the record, Cobb doesn't stipulate that you have the stock pump, they just don't REQUIRE an aftermarket pump.

I wish Trey would go "on tour", or something, to a place fairly local to me, so I could get a dyno tune for my setup. That, or release AccessTuner sometime this decade. :)

·
Registered
773 Posts
The pump is suppose to allow more fuel. It has a higher flow rate. Not needed with cobb flashes as of yet. Maybe for stage 3 yes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts