ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I did some searching on this subject and found some answers but wanted to get some personal experiences from anyone who had a Cobb stage 2 car. Thank you in advance for any insight you can give me. Recently I went to Cobb Plano and got there CAI w/out box and an Accessport. After installation I seemed to notice a difference in performance on the 93 tune especially. Since I did not want to run 93 daily because of the cost I switched to the 91 w/ SF map. I raced my brother's Mazdaspeed 3 from a roll starting at 20 with 91 map (which we had previously done with my car being stock and I was able to pull to 1/2 a car and then would crawl every so lightly when he had to shift more often, his car is a 6 speed). After the CAI and AP and with the 91 tune we raced again, I didn't fair any better at all it seemed. So that got me thinking if I did something wrong. I checked to see if the map was installed, etc. I haven't been able to get back to the drag strip because of rain but feel that I will be dis-appointed there probably as well. Does anyone have any insight on this?

This lead me to start thinking about getting the Cobb down pipe and installing the stage 2 maps. But i have a few reservations before I do so. I don't mind the warranty issues, but was wondering from people who have this done if there are reliability problems (This is my biggest fear by far)? Does this drastically increase the sound of the car (better/worse)? How much louder would it be with just the downpipe and a stock catback? Overall, was the performance increase worth changing the car? I wanted to see high 12's out of the stage 2 but feel that a 13.1 or so is probably the best that I could hope for considering the performance of Stage 1. I guess I just wanted to hear some stories from people who have done this, even if it's not from Cobb just to see how it all went. I wouldn't say I drive the car hard. I visit the track once after installing a mod to get a new time, the rare race with a friend and then just driving spirited a few times a week. This is my daily driver and I wouldn't want it breaking down on me with on 13,000 miles.

Again, sorry if this has been asked a 1000 times and thanks for the help! The car is a 2011, I made a typo and now can not change it.

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
I have been stage 2 for over 50K miles. The car hasn't missed a beat.

I'll leave my preaching to this: Please don't race on the streets. Take it to the track if you want to race.

Likely the MS3 walked on you due to half the driveline mass, not the 6spd.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been stage 2 for over 50K miles. The car hasn't missed a beat.

I'll leave my preaching to this: Please don't race on the streets. Take it to the track if you want to race.

Likely the MS3 walked on you due to half the driveline mass, not the 6spd.

Your WRX is a 2003 model? My brother's MS3 was never able to walk on me but the disappointment was the fact that with the CAI and AP my WRX didn't hardly do any better.

Rogan, Thank you for the title fix.

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
Your WRX is a 2003 model? My brother's MS3 was never able to walk on me but the disappointment was the fact that with the CAI and AP my WRX didn't hardly do any better.
Yep. Bugeye. About to go "Stage 4" :D

To be honest, you won't see too much of an improvement in the performance from an OTS Stage 1 tune. If you were pro-tuned, that's a different story. Furthermore, the "CAI w/o box" is actually a SRI or "Hot air intake" and will likely decrease performance. The stock intake pulls cool air from the periphery of the engine bay. Without the airbox, you're ingesting hotter air than previously.

Also, suck it up and run 93 octane. High-pressure Turbo'd cars aren't designed to run low-octane fuel. The MS3 may have better luck on the 91 octane thanks to direct injection, but you won't. I won't bore you with the details, but run 93 octane.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
How many cents are you saving per fillup by using 91 octane vs 93?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How many cents are you saving per fillup by using 91 octane vs 93?
In Oklahoma 91 is $3.35 ish a gallon, while 93 is over low $4.00 range. Using it every day is not going to be an option.

I've never heard someone say 91 is a low octane option.

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
In Oklahoma 91 is $3.35 ish a gallon, while 93 is over low $4.00 range. Using it every day is not going to be an option.

I've never heard someone say 91 is a low octane option.
Well, if you are using AP, datalog the DAM field. If it is less than 16, your car is pulling timing to correct for the fuel octane. You may also wish to look at the FLKC.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well, if you are using AP, datalog the DAM field. If it is less than 16, your car is pulling timing to correct for the fuel octane. You may also wish to look at the FLKC.
DAM on 08+ max is 1.0 anything less than that is a problem. Doesn't go up to 16 like the older cars.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
DAM on 08+ max is 1.0 anything less than that is a problem. Doesn't go up to 16 like the older cars.
Different values but still uses the same theory

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Did you let the ECU "learn" the new tune after putting it on there?

Either ditch the hot air intake or get the airbox.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i run aem "hot intake" with cobb stg 2 catless dp .... give madza run for the money. Same with crotch rockets, muscle car .... but i push 93 oct though.

Im in dallas texas. Shell gas station or sams but always 93 oct.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I use both non-ethanol 93 and 91 which I'm sure adds some to the expense. Most stations here have 87 with ethanol and consider 91/93 premium and usually dont have it with ethanol.

I put about 250 miles on the 91 tune before I did anything with it. What's the normal time frame?

I spoke with the techs at Cobb and they told me the box would not affect it much unless it was hot out > 90 degrees I believe was mentioned. They also said if i rode it real hard for an extended period that would affect it. I ran my Perrin intake with no box and ran a better time with it even after multiple passes at the track. I'm not of the opinion that a box won't help it, I was just under the impression that one was not needed if it was ample temperatures.

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
Well that's good to know!

I'm glad to see Cobb finally adopted a reasonable notation. It always confused the living bajeesus out of people that IAM (Ignition Advance Multiplier) and DAM (Dynamic Advance Multiplier) were indeed the same ECU definition, but had different values. Glad to see that Cobb decided to go with the same value as the rest of the market ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will be sure to check these indicators when I get back to my car.

Can anyone report on if they've had a 2011+ model at stage 2 for a while? Do you like it? Is reliability good?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
i run aem "hot intake" with cobb stg 2 catless dp .... give madza run for the money. Same with crotch rockets, muscle car .... but i push 93 oct though.

Im in dallas texas. Shell gas station or sams but always 93 oct.
What do you mean an AEM hot intake? Their normal intake goes in the fender well and has a heat shield.

There's no way a stage 2 WRX is keeping up with a crotch rocket...

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I use both non-ethanol 93 and 91 which I'm sure adds some to the expense. Most stations here have 87 with ethanol and consider 91/93 premium and usually dont have it with ethanol.
I'm confused. Are you sometimes running 91 and sometimes 93? And you're using the same map? You have to stick to one octane fuel all the time and run the map for that octane. If you're switching octanes, your ECU has no clue what's going on and is constantly trying to adjust.

I put about 250 miles on the 91 tune before I did anything with it. What's the normal time frame?
250 miles of mixed driving is plenty of time for the ECU to learn. 250 miles of cruise control on the highway probably isn't.

I spoke with the techs at Cobb and they told me the box would not affect it much unless it was hot out > 90 degrees I believe was mentioned. They also said if i rode it real hard for an extended period that would affect it. I ran my Perrin intake with no box and ran a better time with it even after multiple passes at the track. I'm not of the opinion that a box won't help it, I was just under the impression that one was not needed if it was ample temperatures.
I don't agree with that at all. It's more about your speed because that's what flushes the hot engine compartment air out and replaces it with cool air. So in city traffic the airbox makes a big difference, but not necessarily for highway driving. For times at the drag strip, unless you're doing thousands of runs there's no statistically conclusive results that can be drawn from your experience. The ambient air temperature is important yes, but saying 90 degrees is somehow the cutoff is ridiculous. It's a linear (or possibly exponential) relationship from air temps to under hood temps (i.e. intake temps).

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
zax said:
I'm glad to see Cobb finally adopted a reasonable notation. It always confused the living bajeesus out of people that IAM (Ignition Advance Multiplier) and DAM (Dynamic Advance Multiplier) were indeed the same ECU definition, but had different values. Glad to see that Cobb decided to go with the same value as the rest of the market ;)
It's based on the ECU, not Cobb. If I read your IAM @ 14 with my Tactrix, and you were to plug in your AP, you'd have a DAM of 14.

·
Æternum
20,599 Posts
It's based on the ECU, not Cobb. If I read your IAM @ 14 with my Tactrix, and you were to plug in your AP, you'd have a DAM of 14.
My buddy's 2005 reads an IAM of 1 and my DAM is 16... I'd be surprised if the ECU definitions changed...

·
Registered
45 Posts
hot intake is another word for people who mention short ram intake take only in hot air from then engine thus .. hot intake.

as far as stg 2, i didnt have a stg 2 when i street race with a crotch rocket on freeway, it was stock tuned, running supper lean !!!! yet, i was still able to keep up, if anything pushes harder if i were to downshift. :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts