ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i know this has been discussed before, but i was thinking about getting the accessECU upgrade. for 400 bucks it seems great. there has been a lot of talk about the power on the auto, but i was wondering if anyone has a stage one 4EAT, and noticed a good difference. comparing this to other upgrades, are there any other power upgrades that will give me better power for the money? thanks a lot for your help, later

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
It depends. The stage 1 will help, but you wont start to see a major difference until you start to clear out the exhaust. Is it worth the 400 dollars? not when you can go catless by gutting the stocker and getting an HKS downpipe for 200 bucks.

My suggestion? Go catless and do the install work yourself ( if you can). Once you do that, then ship off your ECU for the Stage II reflash. From what I'm told, it's like driving a different car.

·
Registered
157 Posts
i'm running the cobb stage 2 with a scoobysport dp, sti uppipe, perrin ic hoses and hyperground wires. Big difference from stock, i get better low end and mid range pull, better spool, im happy. Next on my list is a scoobysport axle back, then prodrive springs and 17's.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
any other opinions, im still kind of leaning towards stage 1, because i dont know if i will mod it later, and i want to keep it legal. thanks

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Basically, if you just want a little more power, responsivness and smoothless, then the stage 1 isn't a bad upgrade. However, it still fails to address the most the most insidious of the WRX's traits: Turbo lag. Also, there is only so much you can do with the factory 3 catalytic converters in place, so don't expect to be overly thrilled by it.

I highly suggest you think about at least adding an uppipe. I recently had my stocker gutted and it spools 500 RPM sooner which has helped driveability immensely. A new uppipe+ stage 1 probably wouldn't be a bad combo.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Drive a 5-spd, but to comment on Stg1 vs Stg2, cats, keep it 'legal',etc.

Did the following mods with 40K miles already on car. Drove mine for 2 months on Cobb Stg1 (Accessport) and a Prodrive muffler: much smoother, marginally faster pickup, was pleased overall.

Now have Scoobysport up/down installed and have reflashed to Stg2 map: WOW! Really can't believe the difference. 1st is by in a flash, 2nd yeilds serious acceleration, 3rd is awesome, 4th now feels like 3rd on the highway and 5th feels like 4th. I can actually pass using my right foot instead of my right hand!

I tell you this to encourage you to DO IT. Like you, I was worried about what it would do for me, was it worth the $$, would it make my daily driver less reliable, am I cheating the smog beaters, etc. All I know now is that after 40,000 miles on the clock, it's like driving a whole new beast. Car is not LOUD, sound is just mean enough (just a hint of turbo whistle now...).

DO IT:cool:

·
Registered
423 Posts
bmms8 said:
thanks for all the replies, does anyone know if a up/dp combo would yield more power than a stage 1 on an auto? thanks
up/down combo would be a better place to start since ALL big power setups call for the removal of those 2 cats...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Agreed, but you will throw CEL's if you A)don't get a reflash to take care of the CEL, or B)install the 'manual' CEL fixes (2.2 resistor for uppipe and MIL Eliminator[from Pony Express] to fix downpipe-to name a few).

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yes, I would go with up/downpipe combo instead of the stage 1 reflash. I believe some downpipes won't throw a cell (I think one's with a high-flow cat won't, which is what you should get if you live in California).

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hey i got a manual but after i flashed my ecu i noticed a whole lot of more power through all gears which does helps drivability, its like night and day with it. Yes the turbo lag is still there but the car feels stronger and gets up to boosting speed faster which means less downshifts. Advantages are: won't throw any cels, don't have to worry about leaks, no one knows you had anything done to your car( warranty worries), will pass inspection. I also got the AP for extra 200 which is great becasue i can erase codes and do other stuff like reflash it to stage 2 when i am at that point in time. :D Just my .02$

Cheers

·
Registered
174 Posts
MODS & 4EAT

I ran stg. 1 w/ Accessport & gutted stk. UP and it was very nice.
Turbo lag is minimal. I then put on a Daddy's high flow metalic substrate segragated catted DP and his 3CE 3rd cat eliminator section, w/ O2 bung, left the resonator section, and added a Stromung 2-1/2" twin tip axle-back. I ran this combo for a few days @ stg. 1 / 93, and it had more pep, also did not throw a CEL.
That was with no CEL eliminators in place. I then re- flashed to stg.2 / 93 and WOW what a difference! No turbo lag, and boost runs in the low 15's as long as your on it.
I also have an STI scoop w/ splitter removed, and a Hyperflow TMIC. The car sounds great, not loud unless you boot it. Then it has a throaty growl.
Oh, the 4eat shifts now better than it ever did before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts