ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed my Cobb SF Intake and Stage 1 map (normal) with the AP. Noticed immediately that the rpm's like to stay around 1500 rpms at idle for about 5 minutes and then go back to normal. Thought that was weird. However, what bothered me more is that throttle sensitvity was alot lower. Meaning I had to press on the gas more to actually move the throttle body and raise the rpms. Very annoying. Most aftermarket tunes increase sensitivity, not lower it. Anyone else notice this?

I even monitied the TPS with the AP and confirmed I could move the pedal about a 1/4 of an inch before a voltage change was recorded. When stock, Even the slightest movement of the pedal increased rpms.

·
Registered
71 Posts
if you pump the gas once the rpms should go back to normal.

·
Registered
759 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
im def. not an expert but i think its to warm up the car faster.

·
Registered
759 Posts
im def. not an expert but i think its to warm up the car faster.
Yeah, for sure, while the car is warming up. But OP: are you talking about after the car has warmed up fully?

·
I Drink & I Know Things
2,497 Posts
Mine does pretty much the same exact thing...SPT CBE and AEM CAI...with a pro/dyno tune. I've been driving it like that for 3 years and have accepted it as normal. I haven't had any issues and it drives great. Although I've never checked the TPS on my AP against what is considered normal.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Are you talking about at start up? most if not all cars do that as part of the cold start cycle. The car also runs richer so that the motor does not heat up too fast and result in a cracked block.

As for throttle sensitivity you have a throttle by wire car? Try to flash back to stock and record your TPS with the AP and compare it, it could be possible that it is placebo. Other TBW cars I have driven have a bit of a delay or dead zone at the top of the pedal stroke.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I noticed the throttle sensitivity was decreased like you when I went stage 1 with the AP as well. Stalled it a few times because I wasn't used to it lol. It seems to get better after a while once the car learns your driving.
And I went get my windows tinted yesterday so I put the car in valet mode with the AP and the throttle sensitivity was bad again. But after driving around it got better, and when I went back to the normal Stage 1 it was fine again.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The idle issue was when cold. Noticed it only did this after the Stage 1 tune. I know enough about cars that they usually run rich at initial start up but only for a minute or so, then fall back to normal idle rpms. On cold start after Stage 1, the idle will hang at 1500 rpms for a good 5 minutes. Once i start driving it acts normally. I'm goint to continue to monitor.

I did try the trick with key on (engine not started) and push the pedal to the floor and full release. This seemed to help but it is no where near where it was stock. I did check with Cobb and they said they make no changes to the TPS sensor table. I'll give it some time and see if the car adjusts on its own.

·
Registered
759 Posts
The idle issue was when cold. Noticed it only did this after the Stage 1 tune. I know enough about cars that they usually run rich at initial start up but only for a minute or so, then fall back to normal idle rpms. On cold start after Stage 1, the idle will hang at 1500 rpms for a good 5 minutes. Once i start driving it acts normally. I'm goint to continue to monitor.

I did try the trick with key on (engine not started) and push the pedal to the floor and full release. This seemed to help but it is no where near where it was stock. I did check with Cobb and they said they make no changes to the TPS sensor table. I'll give it some time and see if the car adjusts on its own.
Dude this sounds exactly like the choke. (Do cars still have a choke? Is that what it's called? lol) My car does it - bone stock. I'm honestly willing to bet it's just something you didn't notice until you were being scrupulous about analyzing what your car did after the Stage1 flash.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The car will remain in cold start enrichment until the ecu has determined the oil/water, not sure specifically, so it could vary from start to start I suppose.

I had a particularly cold day in steamboat last year when the temp was -20F in town without the windchill. I didn't have anywhere to plug my block heater so I had to start it cold. It idled around 1500rpm for 5-10 minutes until I started driving and still stayed like that for a little into the drive.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Mine usually sleeps in the garage. It's at least 50 gegrees there, but for the engine that's to be considered cold. After starting it runs at about 15oo rpms for several minutes, usually longer than I'm waiting for to start driving. If I blip the throttle it'll drop to normal rpms and then creep back up. I consider it normal...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts