ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently my 2011 WRX is completely stock and I am looking improve or fix a issue that I have during normal driving . First my idea of normal driving might be considered to slow or grandpa like . I accelerate easy and usually shift around 2500 , and 90% of all my driving is done around 2500 ish rpm (60mph) . What I am getting a feels like a hesitation/skip/hiccup/blurble/sputter , this is on acceleration and cruising along at 55-60mph . It is not consistent and doesn't have any relation to were I get my gas or what time of year it is . I have taken it to the dealer several times they say nothing is wrong , not that I expected a miracles . Also it is not just my car , my brother has a 2012 WRX and it does the same thing .

So , I know that the AP with a stage 1 , 91 or 93oct tune will add more performance , everyone talks about that , but does it clean up the issues that I am getting during normal/easy driving ?
Or does a Torqued Performance stage 1 tune help this ??

While most people buy the AP for power which will be nice , I am actually hoping that it will fix my day to day driving .
Just want to know what to expect for my $600

Thanks in advance for your feedback .

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I don't like the way the one car I saw logs for was taking to the Cobb stage I.

Are you sure it isn't your AC compressor kicking on (happens with defrost too) - it can be pretty noticeable.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Though not as good as a protune (of course), the Cobb OTS Stage 1 map will definitely smoothen out the power curve for you. Simply put, the Subaru tune is crap.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Car I saw was making more power and less knock on the stock map. I'd log it for sure.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't like the way the one car I saw logs for was taking to the Cobb stage I.

Are you sure it isn't your AC compressor kicking on (happens with defrost too) - it can be pretty noticeable.
Yea , the AC was my first thought , but have ruled that out . But they do feel similar .

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Though not as good as a protune (of course), the Cobb OTS Stage 1 map will definitely smoothen out the power curve for you. Simply put, the Subaru tune is crap.
This is a denver car, stock air filter, supposedly reset then driven 30min. on each map before logging. I think the elevation was the same, who knows though (i.e. there could be a bunch of factors in this). The user claims there is no way they could have gotten mixed up, and the high end knock is consistant in previous stage I logs. Conclusion - not what is shown in the graph at all. YMMV, but log it for sure. I cannot recommend it as a generally safe OTS map though.

Stage I - see the high RPM knock and low boost and high boost error.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0AnWB10OYObDgdFVQUmFFTXQwTE5NM0Y2ZXdGbFVjcWc&sort=name&layout=list&pid=0B3WB10OYObDgMjFhTm9XZUNTek9CQ1EtcGdXTGhNdw&cindex=2

Stock - higher boost, more load, less knock.

https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0AnWB10OYObDgdENocjhmVDhHbVBLdjhfb0VPc1hSdUE&sort=name&layout=list&pid=0B3WB10OYObDgZkpEOXFSeDJUSTZydC1hOV81ZkxIUQ&cindex=1

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I was fine on Cobb's Stage 1 map, but later experieneced some pretty significant knock on the Cobb Stage 2+ map. OP, have you considered just spending ~$500 for a quality protune. I usually don't recommend this for a stock car for those seeking ever-increasing power mods down the road. But for you, this could be the one-and-done solution you need. Myco, agree?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was fine on Cobb's Stage 1 map, but later experieneced some pretty significant knock on the Cobb Stage 2+ map. OP, have you considered just spending ~$500 for a quality protune. I usually don't recommend this for a stock car for those seeking ever-increasing power mods down the road. But for you, this could be the one-and-done solution you need. Myco, agree?
Yes I have thought about that , I am only 90 minutes from innovative tuning in buff. . Only problem is I don't know if I have the will power to stop with only a stage1 tune . It is a slippery slope .

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
Rowlem said:
Yes I have thought about that , I am only 90 minutes from innovative tuning in buff. . Only problem is I don't know if I have the will power to stop with only a stage1 tune . It is a slippery slope .
Mike will get your car running solid. He's a tuner that will have you go out on the road after the dyno to do any necessary cleanup.

If you're going to flash the car, you may as well throw a downpipe on there, since any warranty claim will be denied, downpipe or not.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2202595

That graph was taken when stock STIs put down under 200whp. It's since been adjusted, so your numbers will be "higher".

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I've ridden in and driven a few 3G cars with TP maps.. they run well, I wasn't too excited to see what they did with the actuall mapping..but the end result and logs were decent.

I didn't have any severe problems on my 2010 with the cobb stageII93 map though I did find that the throttle response wasn't all that hot. Better than factory but not as torquey as it should be. I found it to be useful as a good base map to make changes on.

I still had that same odd stumble mentioned in both my factory map AND the cobb maps. While goofing around with ATR (cobbs tuning software) I found a odd hole in the acceleration and cruise avcs maps (cam advance timing) right around 2500rpm at light load. I smoothed that out and poof.. stumble gone. Why its there I dunno but its in the factory map as well and drove me nuts. Like you I spend a lot of time in that rpm range, as well as gently accelerating in traffic. It would get worse as the weather got warmer too. With ac on it was really noticeable. ** Word of warning, cam advance changes directly impact how the engine breathes and special attention need to be paid to fuel/timing and logs after any avcs changes. **
So be careful and if you're confused its probably better to have a pro tune it. TP and Phatboti are excellent sources for E-tuning.

The hole and related throttle response issue could possibly have something to do with emissions but there's no telling without chatting up a subaru em engineer to find out why they did it.

I also added a touch more fuel delivery in the lower load ranges across the low/mid rpm and extended the dynamic advance a little lower in the rpm range from where Cobb had it. I have some super smooth throttle response now and surprisingly enough my fuel mileage has increased on average 4mpg both city and highway.

I second the notion that the factory tune is junk. Its not there to please the buyer, its there to please the laws they need to meet in order to keep the car ulev compliant.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
One way or another, a Stage 1 tune definitely should smooth things out for you. That seems to be the common experience amongst people who have made that change. Whether you go AP or pro-tune it should improve your situation.

FWIW - My Stage 1 is the Cobb OTS version and it has been problem free for a year. Not an issue to be had in the logs. Frankly, I have almost never heard of issues with the Stage 1 map.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
^ on the later cars its less common, but there are earlier years that had some pretty serious issues.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
FWIW - My buddy's '11 WRX was recently experiencing heat soak from a TP Stage 1 tune. I told him months before this that, though it felt great, the tune seemed pretty damn aggressive for Stage 1 (~19psi).

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I'm not saying you should generally expect bad results with Cobb stg. I, just that they are possible. Log it.

19psi?? That is a lot of EGT to be sending through two stock cats.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
19psi?? That is a lot of EGT to be sending through two stock cats.
Exactly. ....Eric turned it down.

Oh, and quick hijack while I have your expertise/attention :): EBCS setup. Vent back into inlet (per instructions)? Or plug line back into inlet and let EBCS (port 3) vent into engine bay?

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
FWIW - My buddy's '11 WRX was recently experiencing heat soak from a TP Stage 1 tune. I told him months before this that, though it felt great, the tune seemed pretty damn aggressive for Stage 1 (~19psi).
Agree'd, that's a lot of boost for stageI. I have a local buddy with a '10 sedan running thier stage I and it does feel strong.. but I wonder at what cost?
I didn't like how they worked the ign timing and avcs maps. I'm sure they have thier reasons for doing what they did. They made the cruise and acceleration maps identical for ign timing and avcs too. Cruise and acceleration are different for a reason.. though I'm not a pro, I've been tuning gasoline engines for years and if one thing I've learned its that oem engineers dont go to the lengths they do for nothing.

The logs look ok, but I have my reservations about needing that much boost to make solid power.

Mikey over at Phatboti has done a really awesome job on a few of the local guys tunes and I've yet to hear anything bad about his work or his customer support. If I were to go pro-tuned.. he'd be the guy I'd talk to first.

·
Registered
759 Posts
May I tangent a little?

Mine is going to be primarily a daily driver for about 3hrs/day average. What gas mileage do you usually get driving like "a grandpa?" And how many miles between fillups?

(I'm trying to prepare my pocketbook for when mine shows up in a week or two) :)

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I was only on Cobb's Stage 2+ for a short time (and I was lazy), so no logs. Hill at Agile pointed out the knock to me when he tuned it for the PW TMIC and EBCS a couple months later. The first question he asked was, "Where did you get your last tank of gas?"

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Exactly. ....Eric turned it down.

Oh, and quick hijack while I have your expertise/attention :): EBCS setup. Vent back into inlet (per instructions)? Or plug line back into inlet and let EBCS (port 3) vent into engine bay?
I never got around to installing mine due to some crazy stuff that was going on in my personal life and eventually sold it to buy some other toys.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts