ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if it would matter or not... If I get the Cobb Intake, but don't have their AP, is it going to matter? Also, if/when I get the Cobb AP, will I need to get the engine tuned or does the AP do all that for you? Sorry, completely new to turbo's, all of my other cars have been N/A

·
Registered
209 Posts
don't put the intake on until you get your AP. You'll be able to get OTS maps (off the shelf) right from the AP. Go to cobbs website they'll have maps for you there. happy modding!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Do not install the intake without tuning for it with either a opensource tune or an accessport.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I misunderstood what an accessport does... If I buy an AP, do I need to get the car tuned still from a shop or does the AP do everything for you?

·
Registered
902 Posts
I guess I misunderstood what an accessport does... If I buy an AP, do I need to get the car tuned still from a shop or does the AP do everything for you?
The AP supports up to an intake and turboback exhaust (stage 2). After that the car would need to be tuned by a professional tuner. Some places require an AP while other tuners will tune your car open source.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, cool. I was actually planned on getting the SPT Exhaust with the car. Do you know if Cobb has any mappings for their intake and the SPT exhaust together? Or does it not really matter? I understand the SPT exhaust isn't a full turboback, but I'm not planning on getting anything else really for the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
It doesn't matter which exhaust you get.A tune is needed if you add an intake or downpipe.The exhaust doesnt need a tune.

For the price of a new SPT there are better options out there.

·
Æternum
20,597 Posts
You'd be fine with a Cobb SF intake on the stock tune. The Cobb intake is specifically designed to mimic the same flow as the stock airbox (air velocity and flow). The bigger question is why would you spend your money on the SF intake without a tune?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
What car do you have? Cobb probably makes specific maps for the '08+ models for a reason...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesn't matter which exhaust you get.A tune is needed if you add an intake or downpipe.The exhaust doesnt need a tune.

For the price of a new SPT there are better options out there.
I think you're right, I made the mistake before of buying an exhaust from the dealer on my last car. Maybe I'll stick to the stock exhaust for a little bit, listen to some exhaust sound clips, and shop around. Cobb AP with the intake will be my first purchase, I just love that sound you get with them, and then I'll have to suffer while I wait to hit 1000 miles to install them. I really want tints and the car dropped too, but maybe that will come a little later.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
I think you're right, I made the mistake before of buying an exhaust from the dealer on my last car. Maybe I'll stick to the stock exhaust for a little bit, listen to some exhaust sound clips, and shop around. Cobb AP with the intake will be my first purchase, I just love that sound you get with them, and then I'll have to suffer while I wait to hit 1000 miles to install them. I really want tints and the car dropped too, but maybe that will come a little later.
You dont have to wait to install

·
Registered
902 Posts
You dont have to wait to install
Yep, the sooner you get rid of the stock tune the better. I personally wouldn't bother with an intake until you have a downpipe installed.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
break-in should be completed before installing aftermarket goodies. proceed otherwise at your own risk.

DO NOT change the intake or downpipe without the ability to flash the correct map for the new goodies. Again, no one is stopping you but proceed at own risk. As mentioned, the cobb intake *can* be installed without a tune however why go that route and not get the added power that a tune would provide? Even one of the OTS tunes that come with the AP will give you decent gains over factory. A protune will yield you even more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts