ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just noticed you need to cut the heat shield or replace it which i was unaware of so im thinking a new heatsheild is in order.

BUT the big question i had was after swapping out the downpipes. does the system need a tune. this is the only engine mod so far and i will be looking at getting the SPT cat-back in like 6 months.

thank you,

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
We need to know what kind of car you have before we can answer that. And look into the grimmspeed heat shield

edit: looked at your profile and it looks like your in an 08 STI. YES a tune is REQUIRED

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Yes,you need a tune.

You can either cut the stock heatshield or get an aftermarket one.

Like suggested above,I got the Grimmspeed heatshield.Bolts right on to the stock mounting points.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
As others have said, you'll need a tune. To add to that, if you get an Accessport intending to use Cobb's off the shelf maps, you'll need to add Cobb's catback exhaust as well. Alternatively, you could get an opensource tune for much cheaper without buying additional parts.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
As others have said, you'll need a tune. To add to that, if you get an Accessport intending to use Cobb's off the shelf maps, you'll need to add Cobb's catback exhaust as well. Alternatively, you could get an opensource tune for much cheaper without buying additional parts.
You do NOT need Cobb's catback to use their stage 2 tune.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Sorry, let me rephrase: According to Cobb, you need a turboback exhaust (not necessarily Cobb's) to use any of their OTS Stage II maps. The SPT catback you're thinking about with your Cobb downpipe would probably qualify as such, but you need a tune for the downpipe regardless.

Source cited: Cobb OTS map notes. *Link is to PDF*.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the quick replies. i will most likely end up with that grimmspeed heat shield after taking a look and ill make sure to hold off on putting the DP until i find a place to get a tune or get a cat back

thank you,

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
I just put in a Cobb downpipe with stock midpipe & aftermarket axleback.

You can run the Cobb stage 2 map with any catted downpipe & stock catback.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
I just put in a Cobb downpipe with stock midpipe & aftermarket axleback.

You can run the Cobb stage 2 map with any catted downpipe & stock catback.
^ This. I used the Cobb ots stage 2 map with the Cobb DP and stock catback for over 3000 miles.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts