ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth the money? And my wrx idle seems a lil rough.... or is that normal for a wrx? will the tuner smooth it out? Have 2012 WRX Hatch

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Its worth getting for a simple tuning device and get more power out of car with a simple plug in and simple modifications as well.

Rough idle could be anything but what you're calling rough may not be rough in reality...this your first Subaru?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I came from a 07' si sedan too. Congrats on the new ride. I just picked up a 12' hatch as well. Waiting for my cable to come in so I can flash the car. Stock tune sucks, I highly recommend you flash. And i doubt it's idling rough, they just run like that. The car runs a little rougher than the si but then again it's a lot more power. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you guys....yeah...helps alot... speacialy being as i have nooooo idea how a turbo car is suppose to act let alone a boxer.... again...thank you i appriciate it :)

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
What you're experiencing is most likely just typical boxer quirks so I wouldn't be concerned about it at all. But, since you're new to Subaru, I would highly recommend getting the AP as your first engine mod. Yes it costs some money, but you can also recoup some of the cost later on by selling it when/if you decide to buy a new car.

It won't smooth your idle per say, but acceleration will be much smoother through the entire power band. OEM tune is designed around emissions and leans out fuel delivery. The AP will take care of that and give you a good bump in HP, even without any aftermarket parts. Overall I just think it takes all the guess work out of tuning and you end up with a reliable tune that suits the engine much better than stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
kk ty.... was looking at stuff and alot of reviews for the AP sayin it was the stuff...but.... always good to hear from real ppl to see.....ty all of you....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check rallysportdirect usually good prices on everything make sure to get the intake and air box as well makes a big diff ... I went Cobb intake and air box combo with the Cobb AP got shipped for 811 the best 800 I ever spent lol and all the maos are free from Cobb run stage 1+ maps and save up for dp or a truboback like I am then u got stage 2

·
Registered
902 Posts
Yes the Cobb is a nice improvement but don't pay retail from Rallysportdirect and the intake is mostly just added sound on these cars.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Yes the Cobb is a nice improvement but don't pay retail from Rallysportdirect
Agreed 100%....KronosPerformance is a great shop and always have good prices +1 for them!

and the intake is mostly just added sound on these cars.
Not exactly 100% true. There have been proven power gains with an intake and proper tune on the 08+ wrx/sti platforms. It's not HUGE power gains, but it does add more than just sound.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Agreed 100%....KronosPerformance is a great shop and always have good prices +1 for them!

Not exactly 100% true. There have been proven power gains with an intake and proper tune on the 08+ wrx/sti platforms. It's not HUGE power gains, but it does add more than just sound.
Totally Agree on Kronos! I just installed the Cobb SRI last week. I havent had time to do some Logs or anything yet but Besides the sound. I do seem to feel soem gain. couldnt just be me, I wont know till I get a chance for some pulls where I did all the other ones to keep the conditiosn the same.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
the exact reason why I haven't gotten an intake yet is the noise.Not a big fan of the wooshing sound.My stock intake already makes that sound.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I have the AEM and it's just the right sound. If you drive the car normal it's barely noticeable if at all. I have an Invidia Q300 turbo back and the exhaust is still louder than the intake under full throttle. From what I read the Cobb is much louder being a short ram.

As for power increase, Cobb's dyno shows around 10whp gain on the top end but I can't really notice it. My car ran very well with the stock box and tbe. In fact, I managed a 12.80 @ 107 1/4 mile pass without the intake.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check rallysportdirect usually good prices on everything make sure to get the intake and air box as well makes a big diff ... I went Cobb intake and air box combo with the Cobb AP got shipped for 811 the best 800 I ever spent lol and all the maos are free from Cobb run stage 1+ maps and save up for dp or a truboback like I am then u got stage 2
Yeah i planed on ordering the invidia q300 catback and the cobb ap.... to start.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased my Cobb AP the other day and I'm anxiously waiting for it to show up. I really just hope it's as talked up to be! But aside from that I was wondering for stage 1 and 2 is it absolutely necessary to use Cobb accessories or can you go with another brand aftermarket intake and turboback? Cause sometimes companies make it seem like its absolutely necessary to stay with their brand for sales purposes, as it seems Cobb is doing....

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
i just got a cobb ap in and im excited to be able to tune the car, cant wait to see how stage 2 is

1 - 20 of 65 Posts