ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for the thread jacking in the for sale forum, i'm a newb, i'll figure this thing out.
Okay, so i installed an AP v2 on my 05 Rex Wagon. I have skunk2 cat back, AEM cold air, and Greddy BOV. I flashed it with stage 2 and it is running great. My main concern in that I am damaging the engine. I know stage two requires a down pipe that i do not have, but why did so many people recommend that I take off my Cold Air, I can understand taking off the BOV cause its kinda stupid, but won't my AEM cold air work just as well as the Cobb or the Stock? I threw the stock out anyway, oops! Well for now I will take the advice I got and flash back to stage 1 untill I get a downpipe, leavin intake on for now. When I flash back to stage 1 will it cause problems because I have the above aftermarket parts, do i have to be bone stock to run stage 1, please help!!?? Thanks guys,

cheers

·
Registered
609 Posts
I've got an injen cai and if I ran stage 2, I'd need a custom map on the ap. Of course, if I was going to run stage 2 I'd ditch my cai immediately. The Cobb ap doesn't come with preloaded maps for your setup....take off that bov asap.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
boobaru6161 said:
Sorry for the thread jacking in the for sale forum, i'm a newb, i'll figure this thing out.
Okay, so i installed an AP v2 on my 05 Rex Wagon. I have skunk2 cat back, AEM cold air, and Greddy BOV. I flashed it with stage 2 and it is running great. My main concern in that I am damaging the engine. I know stage two requires a down pipe that i do not have, but why did so many people recommend that I take off my Cold Air, I can understand taking off the BOV cause its kinda stupid, but won't my AEM cold air work just as well as the Cobb or the Stock? I threw the stock out anyway, oops! Well for now I will take the advice I got and flash back to stage 1 untill I get a downpipe, leavin intake on for now. When I flash back to stage 1 will it cause problems because I have the above aftermarket parts, do i have to be bone stock to run stage 1, please help!!?? Thanks guys,

cheers
You have 2 cats in your stock DP, and the ECU is programmed to be pushing out enough air for one high-flow or no cats (the backpressure of the 2 normal cats is not good for your engine with a StageII flash). The intakes are because only a few of them are designed to work well with the MAF for the Subaru (e.g., Cobb, SPT, K&N). I believe those are the only three (and I'm not positive about the K&N) that work with the OTS Cobb maps.

Flash the stock/StageI map ASAP. No offense, but if you want the performance of the StageII map, spend the $200 or so for a DP (you can probably get one cheaper used).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do guys, I remember reading somewhere that the only reason that they recommmend the cobb intake is taht it smooths out the air flow into the engine, does the AEM not do this? It was like a 300 dollar intake and would be a shame to ditch it. I am more concerned about the BOV, I will rip that sucker off in no time! It would seem crazy for Cobb to make a map for every am part out there, so I figure the stage tunes are made for general air flow specs not specific intakes, I will keep the AEM on there for now. What DP do you guys recommend? The Cobb one is like 600!?!? Thanks for all your help, ya'll kick ass.

If i'm being a retard, please just tell me so, I'm new to this and I am just trying to learn as much about my suby as possible.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
boobaru6161 said:
Will do guys, I remember reading somewhere that the only reason that they recommmend the cobb intake is taht it smooths out the air flow into the engine, does the AEM not do this? It was like a 300 dollar intake and would be a shame to ditch it. I am more concerned about the BOV, I will rip that sucker off in no time! It would seem crazy for Cobb to make a map for every am part out there, so I figure the stage tunes are made for general air flow specs not specific intakes, I will keep the AEM on there for now. What DP do you guys recommend? The Cobb one is like 600!?!? Thanks for all your help, ya'll kick ass.

If i'm being a retard, please just tell me so, I'm new to this and I am just trying to learn as much about my suby as possible.
As I said, some intakes give the MAF trouble in our cars.

As for DPs, if you can keep the stock exhaust, I'd say go catless, and save yourself some $$. ERZ ("eBay special") products are pretty popular, and you can get an DP for ~$150 shipped on eBay (~$200 off their site). If you want a more "name brand" DP, I'd say go with the Invidia. Pretty much, you can go with most any 3" bellmouth DP on the market (I believe the skunk2 is a 3" CBE) - they're all pretty similar (with the exception of their diameters/taper). When it gets close to inspection (about a week beforehand), replace the stock DP, flash the stock map, and get inspected, then put the catless back on and enjoy StageII goodness.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts