ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth getting and re-mapping before any mods? or shall I wait until I do the up pipe and such?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,224 Posts
Don't do the up pipe.

Since you won't be doing that, it leaves you with the choices:

1. Do nothing.
2. Get an AP, use it and do nothing else.
3. Get an AP, get parts specifically supported by the AP, install the parts, use the correct AP map.
4. Get a third-party tune +/- additional parts (but again, no up pipe).

My choices would be 1, 4 without additional parts, 4 with additional parts, 2, 3 in order of preference.

Parts without CARB exemption make the car illegal on public roads in CA. Removing any emissions parts makes the car illegal anywhere in the US.

Happy shopping.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so is it beneficial to just use the AP or is it basically useless without supporting mods?

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
An uppipe on the 2.5L Impreza is unnecessary and wasted without a custom tune. Even with a custom tune, I wouldn't bother with an aftermarket unit unless you were going EWG or swapping turbos, since the PITA install doesn't justify the minor spool/power gains you'd see.

With no other modifications, a reflash is worth the effort. Whether you go the route of the Cobb AP or OpenECU, it will give you more power everywhere and a better overall driving experience.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks EJ just didnt want to jump the gun on getting a AP, and thanks for the info on the up pipe.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,224 Posts
Thanks so is it beneficial to just use the AP or is it basically useless without supporting mods?
I agree with EJ257.

The AP will be beneficial without further mods, but note that it should only be used as-is, or with specifically supported mods as listed by the maker. Contact them for more info.

So either don't get it, or get it and use it with the car as is, or get it plus only what it says it'll work with and use that all together -- or go open source.

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts