ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a 2012 WRX 5 Door was looking into ordering a Cobb AP. Was wondering if anyone could tell me wether or not this would void the warranty by installing a stage 1 or Economy map during driving and before service if i installed the stock map would my warranty be voided and can the service techs tell that any other maps have been previously installed?

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
Yes,they can tell that the ECU has been tampered with if they want to look for it.

Yes,they can deny warranty claims if they look & find that the ECU has been tampered with.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks... any idea what the difference in economy map and stock map is for mpg's for a 2012 WRX? all highway driving under 3krps

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
What's a warranty?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

·
Registered
902 Posts
I can't see the point in buying a WRX and wanting to run an economy tune. Just use the stage 1 93 octane tune if you have access to it. The car will run much better and smooth out the power.

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
im starting to forget about my warranty, gonna run stage 2 soon

·
Registered
902 Posts
im starting to forget about my warranty, gonna run stage 2 soon
People make such a big deal about your warranty with just a tbe and tune but to be honest your chances of running into warranty issues at that level are slim if you properly maintain your car and drive it reasonable. Now, if you beat the crap out of the car it's going to break eventually even if your stock.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmmm i was just curious as ive heard i can average as low as 19mpg or 24mpgs... Being I drive about 40miles highway and about 3miles city one way to work what a economy map could do fuel wise if i was just planning on using the eco map to and from work, eventhough i doubt i would hardly use it. although if i would happen to get better mileage out of the eco map it would be nice to know i would have to option to do so...

·
Premium Member
1,829 Posts
hmmm i was just curious as ive heard i can average as low as 19mpg or 24mpgs... Being I drive about 40miles highway and about 3miles city one way to work what a economy map could do fuel wise if i was just planning on using the eco map to and from work, eventhough i doubt i would hardly use it. although if i would happen to get better mileage out of the eco map it would be nice to know i would have to option to do so...
If a stage 2 map will give more power and better gas mileage, doesn't seem to matter to me what an eco map can do

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
nice to know... if the other maps are getting better mileage whats the point in cobb even offering the eco map?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've had my WRX for a few months and I've been getting 18.9 MPG on Stage 1 93 now. At first it was at 19.5 and then 19.8.

Before the tune, the car felt weird and jerky every time I put it into 2nd. Now everything's really smooth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey OP, fellow Marylander. I picked up my 2012 PBP WRX 4-door from Heritage 3 weeks ago... A tech specificially told me that Subaru can only see the ecu updates if they send it back to Japan, not at a dealer level. He said just unmarry the car before bringing it in for service... Although this has been rehashed over and over. I just installed AP Stage 1 yesterday... I'm coming from an AP Stage 2 Mazdaspeed so I'm trying to figure out what to datalog on this completely different platform. Found your post while trying to find a basic thread about what to datalog for.

Anyway, I've noticed better fuel economy with AP when crusing around, but it seems to drop quicker if you start getting into it. Hopefully that'll change as the ecu learns everything...

·
Premium Member
10,822 Posts
A tech specificially told me that Subaru can only see the ecu updates if they send it back to Japan, not at a dealer level. He said just unmarry the car before bringing it in for service...
What a great idea.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Im not saying anyone here is wrong... or right for that matter... but I have never heard of one instance where someone uninstalled their ap and was caught tampering with the ecu.

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
In my case and many others, this is all irrelevant. Any Subaru dealer that pops my damn hood will know that I flashed the ECU. If I were a Subaru dealer and I saw an aftermarket intake, I would want to see that you DID flash the ECU for it. I would try to deny you coverage if you didn't! LOL

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Im not saying anyone here is wrong... or right for that matter... but I have never heard of one instance where someone uninstalled their ap and was caught tampering with the ecu.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here; thinking out loud again. All they'd have to do to know you flashed it is hook up their diagnostics and see that your fine knock learning started about 10 minutes ago.

·
Not Asian
1,069 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here; thinking out loud again. All they'd have to do to know you flashed it is hook up their diagnostics and see that your fine knock learning started about 10 minutes ago.
Wouldn't pulling the battery do the same thing?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts