ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I got a Cobb AP 3.0 for a 2011 WRX Sedan. I reflashed the ECU to Stage 1, 91 Octane. There is a definite power increase and it's noticeable.

1.) I got it from the dealer's performance section - do you think there are concerns about warranty? I know that if it is because of the ref lash, I'm screwed.
2.) If I put the ECU back to the stock configuration, if the dealer looks at the ECU, can they see that I had the stage 1 on there before the stock config?
3.) Damage --> Running stage 1... do you think the odds of hurting the engine, turbo, etc... are likely? I know that if you race your ass off all the time it is likely. It's for the moments I want to have fun, go up to Vail, CO, etc... Stock does the job but well - why not more? ;-) I am just wondering what the odds are and if anyone has had any issues over the years? Pistons melting? Anything

Forgive the stupid questions but I'd rather ask a stupid question instead of ruining my car.

Thanks for the input and answers,
-RB

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoot. Do you know the stock PSI/boost? What the max is? I have seen rumors of 25 max but never would I go above 17.5...

Any other answers?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I can't tell you about the AP with the WRX, but I can tell you i've had an Evo X with an AP and a MS3 with it as well. I never had an issue with either. Cobb's maps are quite conservative. I suppose that someone could always be off with a map or something, but I wouldn't worry.

Your warranty will be voided IF they find out. I have always heard from others and from Cobb that if the AP is unmarried from the car it's not likely to ever be picked up by Subaru. Someone on here said the ECU would have to be sent back to Japan to even be checked for it, which if true, I doubt they would do that per the cost.

Anyway, like I said, my experience is not from WRX's, but as far as Cobb goes, I think you would be pretty safe.

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
Here is the deal. Believe me or don't, fact of the matter is that it depends 100% on the dealer. I can tell you for a fact that you will have to fight for anything to be warrantied on the car with most Subaru dealers. That isn't because it's modified that's because for some stupid ****ing reason they hate warranty claims.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, I do appreciate the input. I have heard a few horror stories of guys doing 350hp at the wheels and the tranny blew up. I know that the WRX isn't as "solid" in the tranny area as the STi (hence the $10k price difference on the STi).

The AP said I was doing 351.21hp and 437.4tq @ 4217 rpm in 4th gear. Today I was on the highway and did a few tests. I didn't see the boost go over 14.6 when I floored it and then I did that in gears 1-5. I know the map says it is a PSI of 17 and tapers to 13 - I am in Denver so the boost will be lower because of the altitude (~5300 feet).

I think that I am being cautious and sorry to trouble you guys... I just wanted to get people's experience with this. The best dealer is Flatirons here in Colorado and they just replaced all four struts for free because it's only been a year and they were leaking a bit. Never really had issues with warranty claims with them but when it comes to the ECU, just wanted to make sure that my car wouldn't be f***** up from it and make sure that the damage wouldn't happen (Thanks methodical4u -- so you think that I am fine with the setup I have and won't hurt the engine?)

Thanks guys - picture is attached of the results I got in 4th. 1st was 305.6hp and 324.9 tq.

·
Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers?
785 Posts
Hello Everyone,

1.) I got it from the dealer's performance section - do you think there are concerns about warranty? I know that if it is because of the ref lash, I'm screwed.
2.) If I put the ECU back to the stock configuration, if the dealer looks at the ECU, can they see that I had the stage 1 on there before the stock config?
3.) Damage --> Running stage 1... do you think the odds of hurting the engine, turbo, etc... are likely? I know that if you race your ass off all the time it is likely. It's for the moments I want to have fun, go up to Vail, CO, etc... Stock does the job but well - why not more? ;-) I am just wondering what the odds are and if anyone has had any issues over the years? Pistons melting? Anything
1. As was said, it always depends on the nature of the dealer you use. If they decide the reflash was the cause they can try to deny a specific claim. It does not void your warranty. If you have a problem with the suspension or brakes, etc. they can not be related and so you are covered. If the turbo goes, they may deny the warranty claim - but then again they may not. Did you say you bought it from your dealer? If so, you may have a very mod-friendly dealer, and that may work in your favor.
2. The dealer can see that it was changed, but if it has been returned to stock they can not tell what you flashed it with. It can be sent out for a more detailed analysis, but that is the rarest of all cases.
3. The Cobb tunes are very mild and I have never heard of anyone being damaged by them. Properly maintained these cars can handle plenty, and the sort of mild changes you have made will not have a significant impact. No melting pistons, or the like. Stage 1 tunes, AP, pro, etc, are not particularly stressful on these motors.

Also - don't trust the numbers the AP gives you about HP and torque. Boost is more accurate but the other numbers are very inaccurate.

Have fun!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BigDaddyRex -->> Thank you! Yes, I did get it from my dealer. Flatirons Subaru in Colorado (flatironstuning.com) --> Colorado is a Subie state. haha

Your input is great and right now I am running about 14.6PSI and I did a 0-60mph in 4.49seconds. Some of the other numbers may be inaccurate based on the boost and I am going to go to a real dyno place in about a week so we shall see. Based on those numbers, I am thinking anywhere between 280-315hp?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
BigDaddyRex -->> Thank you! Yes, I did get it from my dealer. Flatirons Subaru in Colorado (flatironstuning.com) --> Colorado is a Subie state. haha

Your input is great and right now I am running about 14.6PSI and I did a 0-60mph in 4.49seconds. Some of the other numbers may be inaccurate based on the boost and I am going to go to a real dyno place in about a week so we shall see. Based on those numbers, I am thinking anywhere between 280-315hp?

Thanks!!
280-315 hp with cobb stage 1 w/ no other mods? maybe at the crank.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I don't know anything about the 3.0, but assume it will log as well or better than the 2.0. That means you can see exactly how your car is responding to the map and how safe it really is running.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Like others said, it's completely up to the dealer if they want to deny your warranty claims or not. Dealerships I've dealt with would warranty an engine with a turbo swap if it was still within the warranty period. They can tell that the ECU has been flashed, but in my experience most won't even go to the trouble.

As far as damage concerns, I would guess that the stage one tune is probably a little safer than the stock tune. Subaru went through a period of time where the factory tunes were geared toward lowering emissions and improving fuel economy at the sacrifice of power and reliability. I don't know if this is still the case, but the guys at Cobb are going to be sure that people aren't going to ruin their engines with their tunes because that's their company reputation at stake.

As far as your virtual dyno readings through the AP, they are completely unrealistic. I have never seen one that was even close to being accurate. If you want real word readings use Airboy, or better yet, weigh your car, then take it to the track and see what your trap speed is.. that's probably the most accurate way to calculate your WHP.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys - I have the dyno readings and I'll post them later. I appreciate it so much. I was driving on the highway and in 5th gear, it's about 3100 RPM @ 80mph-83mph. I stepped on the gas about 1/4" and heard a weird buzzing sound for a second and it went away. Lasted for about 10 minutes or so on and off. On the way home never heard the sound again (this is when I plugged in the AP to log all the data) and even a few days after I haven't heard anything.... Oh well.... Sorry to be stupid but thanks for helping me learn :)

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Thanks guys - I have the dyno readings and I'll post them later. I appreciate it so much. I was driving on the highway and in 5th gear, it's about 3100 RPM @ 80mph-83mph. I stepped on the gas about 1/4" and heard a weird buzzing sound for a second and it went away. Lasted for about 10 minutes or so on and off. On the way home never heard the sound again (this is when I plugged in the AP to log all the data) and even a few days after I haven't heard anything.... Oh well.... Sorry to be stupid but thanks for helping me learn :)
Probably wastegate flutter. The RPM and throttle position sound perfect for it. When I first heard it I thought I had a knock. I heard it (annoyingly) even stock.

I actually wrote this explanation on Wiki (they had it as just a myth), but someone has tried to add a little bit and doesn't have good grammar skills.

"Actual wastegate flutter occurs instead under partial boost conditions such as partial throttle near the boost threshold. It sounds like FftFftFft not ShuShuShu and is caused by the rapid opening and closing of the wastegate at boost levels near the spring pressure. It is commonly heard more clearly and may be more prominent on cars with modified intake silencers, up-pipes, downpipes,an Oversized wastegate incorrectly matched to that specific engine, also vehicles using on/off soleniods to control boost can do this under certain conditions but it is not harmful to the engine...."

Wastegate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Going back to fix it now....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just got the Cobb Access Port, 3/16/12, at Cobb-Plano,TX. On an '11 WRX ltd. flashed the ECU to Stage 1/93. Smoother idle was immediate, eliminated the "bogging down" on clutch release and I don't have to "blip" the throttle before I engage the clutch. Have not yet checked the gas mileage nor have I had the chance to spank anyone while checking out the hp/torque increase. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
You guys all better log your cars. There could be other factors of course, which we are trying to eliminate, but right now this 91 octane map is causing enough knock to learn a 5 degree correction at high RPM WOT. It is way too early to tell if this isn't just a bad tank of gas, but if it were me I would log my car ASAP.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys all better log your cars. There could be other factors of course, which we are trying to eliminate, but right now this 91 octane map is causing enough knock to learn a 5 degree correction at high RPM WOT. It is way too early to tell if this isn't just a bad tank of gas, but if it were me I would log my car ASAP.
Hey Everyone - I talked with mycologist and I have a 2011 WRX in Denver (elev. ~5100-5500 ft), Stock Panel filter vs. K&N, SPT Stock Exhaust... I have had a tone of issues with the high RPM WOT and knock issues. Again, log it!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts