ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting an AP, but everyone says that the access port will void your warranty. I have also heard that you can reset the settings to the normal settings. Can't you just reset the settings when you take your car in? Or is there some way for them to tell that you have done something to the car?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
29,222 Posts
Search for discussions on checksums. The consensus seems to be that they can tell.

There are those that will tell you "nothing" can void your warranty; however, that's semantics, and those people won't fix your car. Neither will the dealer if you give them reason not to.

Happy shopping.

·
SPT for the win!
60 Posts
with a COBB access port the AP saves the stock settings for your car SO when you need to visit Dr dealer for a routine whatever just switch the settings back to stock and they cant tell. I have heard the same thing that they can but i have A buddy that works in my local Subaru garage and he has told me that the computer only shoots out current settings and errors. not what they were. so just dont forget to change them back!

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Who is "everyone?" In order to deny a warranty claim, the dealer needs to prove your mods caused the warranty issue. As previously stated, the dealer can only tell your ECU was changed via checksums but if you put the original map back, they can't tell what was changed.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I have a really good family friend that has been the head service manager of different high end car companies (Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti) and he said they don't even need to prove it. If they can see you did something to the ECM then they can pretty much tell you to have a nice day and get out of their shop...

·
29,222 Posts
This is generally my point. They don't need to prove anything. They can say no and you'll be left with a broken car, standing there muttering about Magnusson Moss and the Magna Carta and SEMA while they move on to the next customer. Then you can argue and/or get a lawyer or wait until a regional rep comes by to also say no etc.

If you do get a lawyer prefer one that's mechanically skilled because while all the excitement will be going on, the car will still need repairs by someone.

·
and the Funky Bunch
6,124 Posts
I would suggest developing a relationship with the shop manager and asking them what their stance on mods are. Some shops are totally cool with them, some are not. If you know which type you are dealing with, then you have the information you need to decide if you want to go forward with the AP while still under warranty.

·
SPT for the win!
60 Posts
Companies have to be able to prove you did something to alter the car that then directly damaged your car. even something as simple as an air intake can make enough for them to void a warranty. BUT with a Cobb AP they cant tell as long as you remember to change the settings back to your stock settings. anything else you do is running the risk of warranty void

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
I have a really good family friend that has been the head service manager of different high end car companies (Lexus, Mercedes, Infiniti) and he said they don't even need to prove it. If they can see you did something to the ECM then they can pretty much tell you to have a nice day and get out of their shop...
^ this.. it not that they're "voiding" your warranty.. its that they're denying the claim at their dealer. Every dealer has the right to reserve this option. Only way to fight it is to go through SOA and plead and grovel with them. In the end, it really is safer to just wait until the warranty is up before you mod if you're concerned about it. Modding is a breach of contract between buyer and oem.. you changed their design that they are backing, they are no longer responsible for your change creating damage. See where I went with that? ;)

If not, load the ap and have a blast.. but do so knowing that IF anything should happen to the powertrain its likely to come out of your pocket.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I don't agree with the posters above that say you're entirely at the mercy of the dealer on warranty claims and you're screwed if they say no to something. In addition, it's in the best interest of dealers to do warranty work because it's basically easy money for them. In general they're going to be on your side and you're not going to have to fight to get things covered if you're modded.

I would suggest developing a relationship with the shop manager and asking them what their stance on mods are. Some shops are totally cool with them, some are not. If you know which type you are dealing with, then you have the information you need to decide if you want to go forward with the AP while still under warranty.
This is great advice. It also helps to get work done at the dealer where you bought the car. They appreciate the business from you buying the car and want to maintain a good relationship with you, so they're more likely to be on your side and be really helpful than a dealer where you didn't purchase the car. But that being said, I've still had great luck with dealers I didn't buy from covering warranty work on modded cars.

Personally I've had a couple of warranty issues on my STI and I haven't had any issues with the dealer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
^ this.. it not that they're "voiding" your warranty.. its that they're denying the claim at their dealer. Every dealer has the right to reserve this option. Only way to fight it is to go through SOA and plead and grovel with them. In the end, it really is safer to just wait until the warranty is up before you mod if you're concerned about it. Modding is a breach of contract between buyer and oem.. you changed their design that they are backing, they are no longer responsible for your change creating damage. See where I went with that? ;)

If not, load the ap and have a blast.. but do so knowing that IF anything should happen to the powertrain its likely to come out of your pocket.
I didn't write anything about voiding the warranty... The word void or warranty aren't even in my response... I know that's what the OP asked, but you really can't void a warranty, you can void parts of it depending on what you did to the car, but saying that the entire warranty gets voided because you do something to the engine is dumb. I was just saying that they can leave you out on the doorstep if they want. A lot of people think they have to "prove" that your addition to the car is what broke it and this isn't true at all.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I was thinking about doing the same thing, but what would worry me is that they'd go back on what they told you or what happens if a new manager gets hired? I'd have to have it in writing personally, dealerships aren't usually known for their high moral standards. Don't get me wrong, not all of them are bad, but they're kind of like lawyers and get a bad reputation.

·
Master Baiter
22,114 Posts
teflon_jones said:
I don't agree with the posters above that say you're entirely at the mercy of the dealer on warranty claims and you're screwed if they say no to something. In addition, it's in the best interest of dealers to do warranty work because it's basically easy money for them. In general they're going to be on your side and you're not going to have to fight to get things covered if you're modded.
There are times where claims are out of the dealership service managers hands. Motor replacements, for example.

teflon_jones said:
This is great advice. It also helps to get work done at the dealer where you bought the car. They appreciate the business from you buying the car and want to maintain a good relationship with you, so they're more likely to be on your side and be really helpful than a dealer where you didn't purchase the car. But that being said, I've still had great luck with dealers I didn't buy from covering warranty work on modded cars.

Personally I've had a couple of warranty issues on my STI and I haven't had any issues with the dealer.
Minor warranty issues can be overlooked. Anything severe will often require a regional rep to come in and approve the warranty work. However lenient your SM is, you may be SOL if they get their approval double-checked.

·
SPT for the win!
60 Posts
One thought to try is only use SPT parts. iv been told that since there Subaru official parts they cant void warranties? SPT parts are even offered by the Subaru parts and service Dept. if you really want to add some mod to the Subaru maybe look into SPT parts. they have intakes,exhausts,breaks ETC.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
There are times where claims are out of the dealership service managers hands. Motor replacements, for example.

Minor warranty issues can be overlooked. Anything severe will often require a regional rep to come in and approve the warranty work. However lenient your SM is, you may be SOL if they get their approval double-checked.
Yes definitely. I didn't get into those because they're pretty rare, but if you happen to be the poor soul that blows your engine and you've got stage 2 mods you're going to have a hard time getting any warranty claim honored. Even if you put it back to stock, that regional rep will see the DP bolts have been touched. And even if you're stage one they'll see the checksum is different. But it would be up to them to prove you had modded the stock map. I can guess you'd probably have to get a lawyer involved and they'd lose since they wouldn't be able to prove you had a different map on there, but by the time you pay the lawyer it's going to probably cost more than a new engine would cost you.

·
29,222 Posts
One thought to try is only use SPT parts. iv been told that since there Subaru official parts they cant void warranties? SPT parts are even offered by the Subaru parts and service Dept. if you really want to add some mod to the Subaru maybe look into SPT parts. they have intakes,exhausts,breaks ETC.
Anything told is meaningless. Only what's written matters.

What's written is available at any SPT dealer: SPT parts do void the warranty. They carry their own, different warranty instead.

Do not believe what I or anyone else says. Go read the warranty. If its posted online or told to you or you hear from someone etc., it's worthless. Printed warranties only. Save money time and worries.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
What's written is available at any SPT dealer: SPT parts do void the warranty. They carry their own, different warranty instead.
What's the deal with SPT parts, warranty wise? If it's anything like Nissan's NISMO parts you should just say no to the extremely high prices that will still screw you over even though it was sold to you by the Nissan dealer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts