Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Who here lives in the Northern winter climate with -40 -50 weather that owns the COBB AP with the SFintake and COBB downpipe tune?

I use my WRX as a daily drive.. i was thinking about tuning to COBB stage 2 intake and downpipe...

How are your engines doing after all the cold freezing winters with the modifications on?

did you guys take your COBB stage 1 stage 2 mods off the WRX before winter came? or did you guys leave the mods on?

i was hearing about overboosting and knocks can occur if mods left on..

what should i do? is this true?

thanks a bunch!
K.K.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've been stage 2 in winters up in Alaska with 0 issues in -50 at one point. It shouldn't affect it unless you don't plug it when its that cold and keep "cold starting" your car. There are some 500 hp stis that drive year round so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It also depends if you park in a garage at night or not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I get overboost in the winter being in Vermont, That being said my tuner told me that switching to the stock airbox during the winter months. Last year I just kept it on all winter and didn't stomp on it and i was fine. The few times I did WOT I did in fact overboost.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I get overboost in the winter being in Vermont, That being said my tuner told me that switching to the stock airbox during the winter months. Last year I just kept it on all winter and didn't stomp on it and i was fine. The few times I did WOT I did in fact overboost.
Thanks for the info bud! and exactly how much did you stomp on it for that overboosting to occur? at 40mph? 50 60?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been stage 2 in winters up in Alaska with 0 issues in -50 at one point. It shouldn't affect it unless you don't plug it when its that cold and keep "cold starting" your car. There are some 500 hp stis that drive year round so I wouldn't worry too much about it. It also depends if you park in a garage at night or not.
Thanks bud, Alaska is a pretty cold place. If your car can handle it then i guess i should stop worrying. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't know how north you are talking. I'm up in Fairbanks, Alaska and the only thing you can get from a pump is 91 here. You can buy drums from sourdough fuel of 100 and mix it but that's about the best you can do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
North Dakota, i just thought you guys were aggressive tuners that bring barrels of E85. but good to know ya'll 91oct too. i just thought you guys were doing something extra special on your wrx to withstand the winter cold

·
Registered
103 Posts
Would you guys have that problem if you had 3 port EBCS? Jw cause I live in Minnesota and this'll be my first winter with my tuned bugeye. I got it tuned in march while living in KY, so it didn't see cold temps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts