ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first subaru wrx about a month ago and my mods include catless down and uppipe with a 3in catless exhaust. I just ordered a cobb accessport and i was really just wanting to get some personal opinions on how much of a noticeable gain in performance you guys have seen. I know what the average % hp increases are for each stage, i was just looking for some opinions on what people have noticed with these things.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congrats on the new buy. What year/color did you get? I have a 11 WRX and I would say the power gain is small, but it really smooths out the power band!

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
^^ What he said^^
I also have a 2011 WRX and I went stage 1 with the Cobb AP. It definitely smoothed out the car throughout the whole RPM range. The power increase was noticeable at stage 1. I'm going to install an Invidia catless downpipe next week and go to stage 2.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a silver 2002 with only 48k miles..which is really why i bought it. Yea, im probably gonna run stage 2. I just put on a coilover suspension and i have never had more fun driving a car on winding roads. I live in WV, so theyre not hard to find. Probably going to keep this for a few years and save up enough for a down payment on a new sti. I think im a subaru man now.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
My opinion.. the AP isn't much more than a glorified paper weight, but not everyone shares the same opinion, obviously.

·
Cheeky Bastage!
2,731 Posts
Its a silver 2002 with only 48k miles...
holy crap! was that a barn find or are you swindling old ladies that like the cheap thrills of a turbocharged flat-4!?!?! haha

·
Premium Member
25,496 Posts
LOL I had an 03 with 23,xxx miles on it (in 2009) It had been fully repainted, definitely showed signs of being repaired underneath and was a clean title, no records found on car fax lol..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One of my dads friends bought it from the dealership in 03. He drives a company vehicle mostly so it didnt get many miles, and about a month ago he decided he was buying a new vette and asked me if i wanted the subie for $5k and i said F*%# yea!!!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Ha, Ha. It took my '02 WRX 4EAT from a stock [email protected] MPH to a stage 2 [email protected] I would say it's a little better than a glorified paper weight. :p

But you could do much more for less money. If you own a laptop (or know someone who does) you could have got a better tune for the cost of a Tactrix cable ($140). And if you knew someone that already owns one (like me), you could have got the same tune for free. ;)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
But you could do much more for less money. If you own a laptop (or know someone who does) you could have got a better tune for the cost of a Tactrix cable ($140). And if you knew someone that already owns one (like me), you could have got the same tune for free. ;)
That's true, but... Lets say I don't own a laptop but do what you suggest and get a good 93 octane tune for less $ than the AP. What happens when I can only buy 91 or even 87? With the AP I can change maps for the 91 or use the econo map to keep boost down, or an anti-theft map when I leave my car at the airport or a valet map for when I let the kids drive my car? Bla bla bla...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an 06 Wrx Wagon and I'm wondering how i should go about upgrading the engine?? I want to purchase the Cobb AP but should i do this before buying any other parts? I already have a full Greddy exhaust system installed from the previous owner.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
That's true, but... Lets say I don't own a laptop but do what you suggest and get a good 93 octane tune for less $ than the AP. What happens when I can only buy 91 or even 87? With the AP I can change maps for the 91 or use the econo map to keep boost down, or an anti-theft map when I leave my car at the airport or a valet map for when I let the kids drive my car? Bla bla bla...

Well, for less than the cost of the AP you could have bought a laptop ;). I would say laptops are also more functional. Then you could still change maps, etc.

What if you wanted to run e85? What if your car was like mine and there are no off the shelf maps? Financially the AP just makes no sense. I talked to Cobb about tuning my car and I was quoted $1000. Instead I paid $350 for much more functionality. With WiFi tether from my phone my laptop has high speed internet practically anywhere I go, not to mention PhotoShop, MS Office, games, movies, music, etc. AP costs more and does none of those things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
What works for one person, doesnt for another. In a few weeks, when i get my AP installed, ill let everyone know if it was worth the $535. I would have a professional tuner tune my car, but i havent found one within 150 miles of where i live, so thats why im going with the ap. If the estimated gains do come through, then i think its worth the money for +26% hp and +31% tq.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, for less than the cost of the AP you could have bought a laptop ;). I would say laptops are also more functional. Then you could still change maps, etc.

What if you wanted to run e85? What if your car was like mine and there are no off the shelf maps? Financially the AP just makes no sense. I talked to Cobb about tuning my car and I was quoted $1000. Instead I paid $350 for much more functionality. With WiFi tether from my phone my laptop has high speed internet practically anywhere I go, not to mention PhotoShop, MS Office, games, movies, music, etc. AP costs more and does none of those things.

Question for you. I am glad you posted this because I am now going to save money by getting a cable and using my laptop if this will work. I have the cobb stage 1 OTS map ( I like the safety of the map) downloaded with the AP manager on my laptop. When I get the cable, will I be able to just send over the map from my laptop with the AP manager? Or what software will I need to use to move over the Cobb stage 1 map to my ECU. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
10,943 Posts
Question for you. I am glad you posted this because I am now going to save money by getting a cable and using my laptop if this will work. I have the cobb stage 1 OTS map ( I like the safety of the map) downloaded with the AP manager on my laptop. When I get the cable, will I be able to just send over the map from my laptop with the AP manager? Or what software will I need to use to move over the Cobb stage 1 map to my ECU. Thanks for the info.

You won't be able to use the Cobb map without an AP as far as I know. The program used to read from and write to the ECU is called ECUFlash. As far as I know Cobb makes their maps where they can only be used with the AP (although I may be wrong). I've never heard of someone running a Cobb map with opensource.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
You won't be able to use the Cobb map without an AP as far as I know. The program used to read from and write to the ECU is called ECUFlash. As far as I know Cobb makes their maps where they can only be used with the AP (although I may be wrong). I've never heard of someone running a Cobb map with opensource.
That's correct, maybe if someone cracked the Cobb files, they could get it to work with OpenSource, but I seriously doubt it would be worth the effort, and you'd be pirating from Cobb, which IMO is a company I want to keep in business...

You can change maps on the fly with an AP, by the way. I'm not saying an AP is necessarily better (mine was just used to upload the map, and has since sat on a shelf for the last year), but Cobb did pack quite a bit of functionality into that little thing.

I think the perfect hybrid would be something like an iPad or Android interface for the tuning software. More portable than even a laptop, yet a nice large screen and lots of features. Having closed proprietary hardware helps protect Cobb's IP though.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
I had an old AP and sold it (just in time) to switch to opensource. Never looked back.

I think Cobb locks out the ECU now, so you will have to completely uninstall it IIRC and you definitely should not try to use their map (other better maps are available cheaply or free).

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
5,808 Posts
Are there opensource maps for Launch Control and flat foot shifting? It's something Cobb released a few months ago, and you adjust all the RPM parameters from the AP on the fly, which is pretty neat.

I don't personally need or seriously intend to use either of those features, but for those that do want them, it might be worth comparing the AP and opensource. Just an FYI.

·
Premium Member
15,697 Posts
Might be worth shopping for a transmission then too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts