ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just bought myself a 04 wrx today, and it came with a accessport. When I turn it on it shows a 02-03 wrx and then when I go to the AccessPort Info under vehicle it say usdm 2002-2003 wrx. Does this mean this accessport is for a 02-03 wrx? Please help guys it would be great, still a major noob at this.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yes, it means it's for an '02-'03 WRX and shouldn't be on an '04 WRX... It must be the older version, the newer version wouldn't let it work on a different year or model. Not necessarily a problem, as some of the older versions could/were switched over to the right/proper for that year firmware, but who knows... Is it a black box? Or a silver device?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Its a silver one look like anyother cobbs. It is married to my car now but, if it is for a 02-03 can I load the stock map and unmarry it. Becuase I got a buddy who might want to buy it since he has a 03 subaru.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
What is the build date of the car? I'm curious if the car is a early 04 with a 03 build date. In that case, then the ecu would technically fit with the 02-03 vehicles.

Best way to tell would be to contact Cobb and ask them.

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
Guys... You're both giving some poor advice.

There is the Accessport Sub001 Sub002, and Sub003.

The Sub001 is for 02-05 WRXs with the 16bit ECU and Drive by Cable throttle body.
Sub 002 is for 32bit ECUs with DBW and OBDII. Applies to 04-07 STi, and 06/07 WRX
Sub 003 is for 32bit ECUs with DBW and CANBus. Applies to all 08+ WRXs

The only difference is how you have to upload to the ECU (with the pin jumpers).

John, make sure to unmarry the accessport. Get online, and update the accessport with the correct vehicle definitions. After you get the correct vehicle definitions installed, you should be gravy.

Shawn, the ECUs are very strictly model specific. There is no crossing over at "early" or "late" build dates like some other components.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds good! Ill unmarry my cobb and then try to correct my vehicle definitions online see how it goes. Becuase when I try to download a map for a 04 wrx it said my cobb vehical specification did not match because it said it was a 02-03 wrx so hopefully this works. Thanks for the hep SINISTER.

·
The Fruit
4,728 Posts
Uhm.. how is mentioning curiosity giving out advice? I never gave any direction(s)

I "advised" to contact the manufacturer of said device.

I'd think they'd be the best authority on what to do. They designed and produced it, they will know best how to remedy this situation.

CALL/EMAIL COBB.

how was that bad advice? Subaru would be very rare as far as mfr's go to limit component "bleed" from year to year. Its a good thing they do this but they're one of few.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so I found out that I am running a 02-03 wrx ecu that is why my Cobb is picking it up as a 02-03 wrx. How do I tell if the motor is a 02-03 or a 04-05 or does it even make a difference. Because I do have a 04 wrx ecu sitting around and I was wondering if I can plug it up to my car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts