ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i'm going to be picking up an 05 WRX here in the next 4 months and have just been doing tons of research for mods, tuning options, etc.

I've come across the Cobb AccessPort and i like the fact that they have preprogrammed maps etc for different upgrade paths. Basically i found that they also have a Street Tuner option which is something i would like to invest in down the road. Regardless, my question lies in the fact that i live in colorado springs which is about 6500 ish ft elevation.

Will it still be safe to use the pre-programmed maps on the accessport at this altitude? I know they're based out of Utah so they should be tuned at a fairly high altitude already. I'm just not sure.

Basically my concern is this will be my vehicle for at least the next 4 years, daily driver etc. Which is why i don't want to go too extreme with it. But on the same token i would like to mod it and make it a more responsive faster vehicle. So i don't want to explode my engine or cause detonation etc.

Anyways, thanks for your guys time i look forward to responses ;-)

·
Registered
986 Posts
being higher in elevation than cobb at SLC (~4500) the map should be even safer. if you were lower you may have reason for concern.

i have an accesport on my sti and love it so far. i too am thinking about getting the tuner, after i upgrade my turbo.

·
Registered
986 Posts
btw there is a farmcrest on 30th and centennial that sells 93 octane unleaded. it is .10 a gallon more than standard premium. it is the only one that has unleaded 93, some other farmcrests have 93 leaded.

run that and you will have added security against detonation, and your wrx will love it!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Someone else to consider is Vishnu. They've got high-altitude maps for all of their reflashes, and they seem to make some of the most (dyno-proven) power among the different tuners.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The Accessport is good. I am in the Springs and I have used mine for about three weeks without any problems. The only drawback is that the Tuner isn't out yet so we can't tune our cars for any additional mods placed on the cars.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Excellent. As long as the tuner is out by the time i get my FMIC i'll be happy. Otherwise im getting wheels/tires and probably an Eibach Prokit as my first wave o' mods. After that i'll pick up Greddy EVO II, looking at a Perrin DP and UP + Accessport. After that will be injectors and VF34. Then if tuner is out by then i'll get a walbro 255lph fuel pump and a FMIC of some sort. All down the road of course ;-).

I eventually want to be about 280-290 WHP and then ill probably just stay there and worry about other mods, coilovers, etc.

·
Registered
986 Posts
you will never get 280-290 whp out of a vf-34 at this elevation. you won't get it from any vf turbo for that matter, you should start looking at the 18 or 20 g for that HP goal.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, well i want something with decent spool characteristics, the VF34 seemed like a good choice heh.

Are there any bolt up garret hybrid ball bearings that would fit the bill in that respect?

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
the stock ECU compensates for altitude. It controls boost via data tables that relate boost pressure to ambient pressure. The AP uses these same data tables, therefore it compensates for altitude in the same way as the stock ECU (lower boost).

·
Registered
805 Posts
Rancid said:
the stock ECU compensates for altitude. It controls boost via data tables that relate boost pressure to ambient pressure. The AP uses these same data tables, therefore it compensates for altitude in the same way as the stock ECU (lower boost).
Yah but it compensates in the wrong direction unfortunately ;). We need turbos that can effeciently run MORE boost than sea level to compensate for the lower atmospheric pressure that results in going up in altitude.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Chris G said:
Keep in mind Mad has a 2.5 as well, not the stock 2.0, so I'm assuming his spools/flows just like an STI would
MAD WRX's 18g used to be mine originally :). I ran it on my 02 WRX (2.0L) and it spooled just as fast and maybe a hair faster than my wastegate springed (15psi) VF22 did.

I ran a [email protected] with the 18G @ 19psi at redline (21psi peak - pump gas tune) which depending on which dyno you run on equated to roughly ~300whp on TXS dyno. I found a guy that ran a 106mph trap with similar 1/4 numbers as me that dynoed at 300Whp on TXS dyno. Louis ran a 111mph trap speed with the same 18G on a race gas tune but that was with his 2.5L shortblock as well.

If you want more than that 20G or Green will do it at the expense of extra lag however. BB turbos are nice but the sleeve bearing Mitsu turbos (16,18,20G) seem to do JUST fine or better than the VF series turbos IMHO.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
davidm_sh said:
than my wastegate springed (15psi) Louis ran a 111mph trap speed with the same 18G on a race gas tune but that was with his 2.5L shortblock as well.

Louis will have to confirm for all of us but I thought he ran that 111 trap on the 2.0.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
davidm_sh said:
Yah but it compensates in the wrong direction unfortunately ;). We need turbos that can effeciently run MORE boost than sea level to compensate for the lower atmospheric pressure that results in going up in altitude.
This is true. Stupid safety features...

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Maybe you were thinking of me. I ran a 111 mph trap on a vf30 and a 50 shot of nitrous. (86 according to the Blitz Powermeter). The VF30 is identical to the vf34 except for the lack of ball bearings. It seems to spool slightly later than the 34. I am currently running the even larger vf22 on the 2.5 block and I see later spool up rpms than louis does with the 18g on his 2.5, as well as much less power.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Im in the Springs and Ive had the stage 1 AP on for about a month and loved it with no problems...reading posts on here makes you worry every once in a while but you really shouldnt...i just went stage 2 and its like night and day....it was awesome the first time i went WOT. I found out about the 93 octane on centenial a couple days ago and flashed the 93 Stage 2 map. Since i havent been stage 2 that long not sure if it made a difference but i measured boost via AP and am measuring the gas milage. After i finish this tank im gonna switch back to 91 and see if there was a difference. It is running good right now though ill tell you that much. If you wanna check it out sometime let me know.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts