Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm selling a brand new v3 cobb access port and weather techs for a 2015 Subaru wrx. I got rear ended and the car is totalled so I have no need for the parts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking 500 for the Cobb but I don’t have it unmarried so it’s a 50 dollar fee to send it into Cobb. I would sell the combo for 450 because of that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It says Cobb will charge 70% of list to re-license the AP if it's still married to a different vehicle. That's about $470. Can't you get access to the car for 10 minutes to plug in and un-marry it?

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
I was thinking 500 for the Cobb but I don’t have it unmarried so it’s a 50 dollar fee to send it into Cobb. I would sell the combo for 450 because of that.
Buyer be aware -- you WILL want to fact-check this with Cobb. This claim may be poorly researched and grossly dishonest. According to this Cobb Blog post (2 years out of date):

THE POTENTIAL COSTS OF PURCHASING USED
COBB is able to change the part number of your Accessport. This service is $150 plus any positive difference in the cost of the part number you’re changing to. This isn’t the only cost to consider when buying used.

If an Accessport was never uninstalled from a previous vehicle, it can be re-licensed, or set to an uninstalled state. The Accessport is essentially 2 parts: the hardware to flash the vehicle and the tuning license that is installed on the car. Therefore, in cases like this when the tuning license is still being used on another vehicle, COBB can re-license the Accessport for 70% of the price of a brand new Accessport of that part number.

Let’s take a look at a couple of examples of purchasing used Accessports:

Situation 1 – John owns a 2015 Subaru WRX (needs Accessport part number AP3-SUB-004 $675) but buys an uninstalled Accessport (AP3-NIS-005) from a Nissan GT-R (total cost new is $950). Since the cost for the GT-R Accessport is greater, the total cost in this situation is only $150. Since it is uninstalled, no re-license is required.

Situation 2 – Mark owns a 2010 Mazdaspeed3 (needs Accessport part number AP3-MAZ-002 $650) but buys an installed Accessport from a Mitsubishi EvoX (AP3-MIT-002 $500). Since the Accessport is still installed to the Evo, Mark would have the cost of the re-license (in this case $350) AND the cost of changing the part number ($150). If he bought this used Accessport for anything over $150, he could have had a brand new one for cheaper. He may be out even more if the required OBD2 cable is not included or faulty.

What the Accessport comes with, its part number, and whether or not it was uninstalled from the previous vehicle should all be considered when buying a used Accessport. Not all is lost if you purchase a used Accessport that is installed to another vehicle or the wrong part number. However, paying for these remedies can quickly outweigh the savings for buying used in the first place. Hopefully this guide can save you making an overly costly purchase.

·
Æternum
15,576 Posts
OP -- Cobb's primary concern is to protect a single AP license from being flashed to multiple ECUs.

If you contact Cobb and are able to demonstrate some proof that the car has been totaled and that car's ECU was married to your AP, they MAY (no guarantees) reduce the rate to "unmarry" your AP. That's entirely up to Cobb and how you handle the situation.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts