ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry if this has already been covered. i did a search, but couldn't find anything.

what's the best turbo for rallying. i obviously want something with more power, but i want the power to be in the low end of the RPMs. Void warranty? ball bearing or not? and ideas?
any help is appreciated
thanks

·
Registered
3,707 Posts
scoobyrally said:
sorry if this has already been covered. i did a search, but couldn't find anything.

what's the best turbo for rallying. i obviously want something with more power, but i want the power to be in the low end of the RPMs. Void warranty? ball bearing or not? and ideas?
any help is appreciated
thanks
I THINK the vf35

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
VF35 would be a good choice. But if you want to save some money, there are plenty of used VF39s off of STis going for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. i'll look into the vf39 and vf35 more. what do you think about the vf34? or vf30?

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,985 Posts
Don't look at anything.

Find out what turbo is homologated by your sanctioning body, whoever they may be. Regardless of how suitable it is for your application, that is the turbo you will use.

If your organization says "use anything" then use the smallest turbo you can get your hands on with the best oiling/cooling system, and the lowest price. By asking, I assume you're setting out, and your expenses will be astronomical so $ and practicality are important issues.

How many turbos are you buying at once? Availability will be another issue, and more turbos mean more money. For a single car and a full season (with your fingers crossed), I'd assume 2 or 3 at a time?

EDIT: Incidentally, "rallying" and "warranty" don't coexist. One or the other...

Do have fun though!

·
Registered
393 Posts
<QUOTE>"Don't look at anything.

Find out what turbo is homologated by your sanctioning body, whoever they may be. Regardless of how suitable it is for your application, that is the turbo you will use.

If your organization says "use anything" then use the smallest turbo you can get your hands on with the best oiling/cooling system, and the lowest price. By asking, I assume you're setting out, and your expenses will be astronomical so $ and practicality are important issues.

How many turbos are you buying at once? Availability will be another issue, and more turbos mean more money. For a single car and a full season (with your fingers crossed), I'd assume 2 or 3 at a time?

EDIT: Incidentally, "rallying" and "warranty" don't coexist. One or the other...

Do have fun though!<QUOTE>

Hate to say it, but I don't think that was quite what he was looking for. From the feeling of the question, it didn't seem to me that he was really looking to start a world traveling, professional, million dollar car, rally team. Last I checked, there were plenty of people doing it once or twice a year for fun.
As such, I have no idea what turbo would be good, but I think I have felt a general trend towards the VF 35 or 39 for the rally types. I would concur since they seem to get boost quick, which is good with the speed variance you'll be dealing with in Rally.

·
Super Moderator (Actually a SuperSpy)
28,985 Posts
If (s)he is participating in a rally, even once a year in the US, there will be specific rules regarding the motor, so (s)he need no worry about which turbo is right unless the class rules permit a different turbo than the car comes with to begin with.

If the rules do permit a different turbo -- they might -- and given that the poster is asking the question they're asking, the money might be better spent in spares etc., but that's another story.

In general though, most "what under-the-hood-part-is-best-for-competing" question cannot be answered here, it's already been answered by whatever body is organizing the event(s).

My personal preference is a completely unaltered motor or even a N/A motor and emphasis on the chassis, but that's just me.

In any case, the sanctioning body will have the correct answer to the question. Even if turbos are "free" there might be intake, fueling, and/or other restrictions that won't permit the supporting mods for some of the turbos that would otherwise fit the car etc. It's really a case-by-case thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts