Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After some ridiculous clutch slippage, I took in my car and they said the clutch was absolutely gone. Then the guy said they would replace the clutch, flywheel, and throttle something or another.

He also said they had to call the district manager or representative about it. But he did guarantee they would cover it "this time" and also cover the rental car (a saturn). He said the concern was that it only had 14,000 miles on it, he was trying not to say it but they were wondering whether or not it had been abused. I assume because I am not the typical WRX-abusing-looking-guy (Big Black male, well dressed, w/ wedding ring, I appear to be about 30, but only I'm 21, all this probably helped) I was cut some slack. I also talked to them like, "yeah I hear a lot of people abuse these cars- I just don't get it" The guy said they looked for shavings in the transmission fluid and saw nothing, that indicated any abuse, but they would look closer after getting everything apart

Anyway can they legally say, "Whoa this is too early for this to go wrong- we won't honor your warranty on this issue"? I didn't buy a car and the extended warranty to be second guessed, :mad: but to have some added protection in an unfortunate case like this. I understand this isn't a Taurus and that a great deal of the buyers of WRXs really drive their cars, and Subaru has to look out for its bottom line. But it just seems like an excuse to not pay for it. What do you guys think?

Oh yeah my one mod is an AEM Cold Air Intake. They didn't say anything about it.
AJ

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
In short, yes. If they find probably clues for abuse, it's enough to void a warranty.

A statement regarding to warranty and abuse should be in the warranty portion of the owner's manuals.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
i wouldn't worry about it dude. if they're taking the thing apart, (8hr book job if i remember correctly) they're not charging you shi+ without an estimate of charges.

"abuse" is very subjective in most cases. unless you shredded most of the teeth off first gear, and the clutch was glazed over with burn spots, you should be fine.

dR

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It just seems to be standard proceedure. The clutch is a wear item. They usually don't cover wear items under warranty. That's why they have to contact SOA, to get approval to replace a wear item under warranty. But 14,000 miles is really early for it to wear out even if you did abuse it, so they're assuming its defective and replacing it. I bet if it was 28,000 they'd be less accommodating.

Remember too that "abuse" doesn't necessarily mean willful. We get plenty of posts here along the lines of "This is my first manual. I try to slip the clutch a lot to protect the tranny. Why does it stink so bad evertime I take off from a stop?". Not saying that this is you, just that dealerships see plenty of cases like that. They're not accusing you of anything. "This time" just means that if you bring it back in another 14,000 miles with it worn out again, you're probably doing something wrong.

You might want to check the terms of that extended warranty just so you aren't surprised later. They often specifically exclude wear items like the clutch.

Chris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Clutch is only covered for 12,000/1yr, whichever comes first. That might be why. I'm not sure if the extended warranty modifies this, since it is a wear item.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, that's what it was on my 2.5 and I'm assuming they haven't changed it in a year.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Clutch covered under warranty to 36k miles, per my dealer, as are the brake rotors. I followed that up with a call to a buddy who is having the clutch disc, plate and flywheel replaced, under warranty...at 33k miles.

Check with your dealer on clutch issues. If they give you the run-around, check with SOA.

Peace,

Curtis

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yep, your "extended warranty" is still useless because starting in 2001 Subaru cars, clutch is covered for 3yr/36k miles. I wouldn't mention anything about the CAI since your dealer probably neglected to mention that to SOA. If SOA knew this, they would deny your warranty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sherb said:
Yep, your "extended warranty" is still useless because starting in 2001 Subaru cars, clutch is covered for 3yr/36k miles. I wouldn't mention anything about the CAI since your dealer probably neglected to mention that to SOA. If SOA knew this, they would deny your warranty.
Are you sure about that starting in 2001? My 2.5 was a 2001, and I was having the clutch stutter problem and checked into the warranty for the clutch, and it was 1 year, even with the extended warranty. So maybe they extended it starting with the 2002my?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sherb said:
Having the cai wouldn't automatically deny the warrenty claim on a clutch. I think that they would be hard pressed to draw a connection showing the intake was directly responsible for the clutch wear.

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
its my first manual, tryin to be as easy on it as possible, but still scared i might ware it down early, but we shall see if i get it covered by warrenty. how long should a clutch last?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Although this is my first manual I had some good practice on my friends other cars. All of them old junkers except for my friends AMC Spirit (too much damned torque!). The WRX is a bit tougher to drive than any of the other cars I tried out and I was a bit surprised at how the take off and 2nd gear hookup was a hit or miss kinda thing. I was very careful with gear shifts until I got the hang of it, but even to this day I'm suspicious of the clutch wear due to the slippage I have to do in the mornings and on take off (no dead clutch smell).

A bit of a note for first time manual drivers: have a buddy that does not drive a honda, sit with you and go through the gear shifts on a road trip.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The more I think about it the more I think this clutch may have been defective. I have a friend with an 02 and it has very little tension in the clutch when its disengaged. I kinda think it just a difference but I am wondering whose is closer to normal.

Eli
Good to see you with your car. How do you feel now? How many miles have you got on it? About how much did those headlights run?
It looks good. Have fun.

AJ

·
Registered
8,886 Posts
Twanz02WRX said:

Good to see you with your car. How do you feel now? How many miles have you got on it? About how much did those headlights run?
It looks good. Have fun.

AJ
im doin alright, got about 500 miles on it now. the morettes cost me about 600

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a heads up to those having early clutch problems.

My dealership has told me that Subaru is aware that the clutch disc, pressure plate and slave cylinder have flaws.

I was told that a recall on 02 WRX clutches is in the making. If you are having severe problems or failures, the dealers have been instructed to replace the whole assembly with an advanced part that will solve the problems being experienced.

Those include, chatter, intermitent slipping, hard or sticky engagement, mushy pedal, no pedal. Of course if you have abused the clutch you are probably out of luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think my clutch is "chattering". when the car is cold and i slip the clutch out at low rpms (1.5-2k) the car shakes kinda violently...after she gets warm its perfectly fine though. It did it this morning in the snow..I think it was around 30ºF

WHat is causing this? Do I need a new clutch?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just a heads up (see thread after this one in this forum).

Clutch chatter that is occuring sporatically is due to a faulty clutch.

Subaru is replacing them on any car which is brought in multiple times with the same complaint. There may be a recall soon, but don't wait to start the process with your dealer. Eventually the clutch will fail altogether (severe slipping or sticking).

This is happening right now on 02 WRX models. The 03 models already have the new clutch which Subaru is using to replace bad 02 clutches. 03's should not be experiencing these problems.

The dealer should replace the pressure plate, clutch disc and either resurface the flywheel or replace it. You should not settle for anything less. On some cars they are also replacing the slave cylinder (those that have severe chatter or slipage).

Time to failure of the 02 clutches depends on your driving habits. Hard use = early failure and easy use = later failure.

There are many symptoms of this problem so you should not ignore anything that seems unusual or different for ANY manual transmission.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I wouldn't chance it unless you're sure they won't.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
blackshadow said:
If i bring my car in in its current state will they deny me the repair?
I would take out the stealthback and the profec b at least. Depending on how well you know the dealer. It would be a pain to take out the uppipe to, but if you know they will give you **** then you might have to. I think before I do my power mods this summer I will take it in to have the clutch shudder fixed, better to get it done before so I don't have to take it all out later, even though I know my dealer and he would be cool with it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I'll check with Mastro... Though i doubt that they're in the mood since i didn't buy the car through them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts