ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well went drag racing last night and burnt the clutch twice. I figure it's not far off now. wanted to know how hard of a job this is to do on my own. I havd done fwd clutch but this is a different can of worms completly. so I am looking at ACT street clutch just to get where I wont have to look at it for sometime. Also looking a light flywheel. not the ultra light as I know about the problems. so with this in mind how hard is this job. I fugure removal of the intercooler and some exhaust but not sure to what extent or other parts needing removal. Also what service books if I need them should I order before doing this?
thanx much

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
for someone who knows what they're doing its about 6 hours' work. its a HUGE pain in the ass...involves draining the coolant, removing the radiator, taking off the headers (at least on one side) unbolting the motor and moving it out of the way or dropping the tranny out. think of it as uppipe and about twice as much MORE work on top of it.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
any idea what the cost is of having it done? if my guess is correct 6 hours at shop rates say $90hr = 540 labor only. does that sound about right? if that much of a pain might be worth the cost. that sound really hard 6hrs I'd bet 12hrs for first time never done it before. oh note to self and others there was a write up in compact sports car with details via project STI. I think I might read that tonight.

another question how heavy is the trans and does it require a jack for the trans? also what about the fluid when the drive shafts are removed. does it drain like honda's. where is the throw out bearing installed, in the trans?

thanx

·
Registered
10,357 Posts
yes, oil leaks out when you pull the drive shaft...I think you pretty much have to drain the oil (as well as the coolant) before you start so its messy. I'm not sure where the throw bearing is, but it IS part of the clutch package...so where ever it is, it gets replaced.

As for cost, I've been calling around because I'm about to get mine done too. I got 2 dealer quotes, one was "About $1100" and one was "about $1200", less if the flywheel was ok. I also called a local independant Subaru shop (lucky to have one nearby). They quoted me $800, but I don't know if they skimp on parts....for example, to do it "right", the passanger-side headder seals should be replaced with new ones when they're re-installed. This isn't strictly-speaking neccesary, but that's what SOA says you should do....there might be some other corner cutting regarding actual clutch components that should get replaced....i don't know. As far as I can tell the local shop charges the same per-hour rate as the dealer, so maybe the local shop was quoting me a price without a flywheel.

by the way, the dealer charges $65/hr....not $90.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts