Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i started getting occasional "shuddering" when I start moving before the clutch pedal is out all the way...started about 2k miles ago and I got 21k on the car now...can't figure out if its the clutch slipping or the one of the differentials...anyone else get this or know what it is? I'm about to bring my car in to have all the gear oils replaced and was wondering if there's anything else I need to have done...if it IS the clutch, I might have them put in a lighter flywheel while they're in there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are a few threads that seem to indicate that this isn't unusual. Do a search for chatter or shudder and you should see them. Mine does it to, but I have decided to not worry about it.

Bill

·
Registered
298 Posts
clutch chatter...gotta love it...it used to be a feared ailment back in the day but it's popping up like mad in these cars according to the message boards....

·
895 Posts
blarg said:
i started getting occasional "shuddering" when I start moving before the clutch pedal is out all the way...started about 2k miles ago and I got 21k on the car now...can't figure out if its the clutch slipping or the one of the differentials...anyone else get this or know what it is? I'm about to bring my car in to have all the gear oils replaced and was wondering if there's anything else I need to have done...if it IS the clutch, I might have them put in a lighter flywheel while they're in there.
if your car was an earlier model (and i'm guessing it is b/c of the 21k miles) then you'll get a free clutch replacement from the dealership. SOA documented the clutch shudder a certain range of VIN numbers, the newer models have the redesigned clutch in it - supposedly gets rid of that cold-start clutch shudder. i've felt it (havnt driven it though), and the newer clutch has a lighter throw to it than the older one. so maybe its worth replacing... but i don't mind the clutch prob too much so i'm sticking with what works ;)

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bought mine on Dec. 1st....I put about 200 miles a day on it.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
What a coincidence! Mine did it this AM for the first time! Also, last night I did a 5.5K launch, for the first time! I had done some really quick accelerations from 1st, but nothing that would nearly qualify as a luanch.

We tune the bejuzus out of these cars putting 30% or more HP and torque into them and perform little or no transmission or clutch work.

I seldom did high RPM launches in cars I owned before (and had NOT tuned) because it IS abusive, With AWD, sticky tires, and increased power, high RPM launces go beyond regular abuse. Something's got to give. I was at the dealership last week and there sat a rex with 1st gear in little pieces.

The dealer's service rep went so far as to say it's Subaru's fault. He thinks they should have known a car like the rex would get hammered and built the tranny stronger.

Go figure. :eek:

·
895 Posts
russ said:

The dealer's service rep went so far as to say it's Subaru's fault. He thinks they should have known a car like the rex would get hammered and built the tranny stronger.

Go figure. :eek:
thats theres a good dealer ^

at least hes not blaming the weak tranny on US, the customers!

it's insane how they give you a 1 year scca membership w/ the wrx and THEN they tell you they won't warrenty 1st/2nd gear malfunctions because those problems are assumed to be caused by RACING!? how interesting:rolleyes: ...Good job, SOA! ;)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Heh, I used to be embarassed when I would take off and the car would shudder, but learned to just cuss at it and give more gas. The problem is that the other day it was shuddering even though the rpms were increasing from 1k-2k.. it used to only do this if I held it at 1.2k and lifted the clutch slightly above the initial catch point.

Now it is getting quite violent so I am preparing my self to be extra nice to the dealer when I go in next week.

·
895 Posts
it is a documented problem that SOA WILL fix for you....as long as you fall within a certain range of VIN numbers (because only certain cars have the faulty clutch)

its still worth checking out at least

·
Registered
21 Posts
Penguinking said:
it is a documented problem that SOA WILL fix for you....as long as you fall within a certain range of VIN numbers (because only certain cars have the faulty clutch)
I did a search and couldn't find the answer, so could someone tell me what the range of VIN numbers for clutch fix are?

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
430 Posts
I saw the vin numbers and mine does not fall within them, so it seems that mine is probably a defect.. I just hope that the dealer doesn't take the stand that if it isn't an admitted SOA defect then it must be normal. Pfft..

Well I'm off to home depot to do the grounding mod.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Good luck on the grounding mod, make sure you post pics afterwards, Im thinking about doing the same thing, no sense in wasting $200 for an HKS earthing kit when I can go to home depot/radio shack and have the same results.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if I DO have to get my clutch replaced could I ask them to put in a lighter flywheel while they got the whole thing opened? or does a different flywheel also require a different clutch? just wondering if I can get SOA to pick up the tab for the clutch and I can just pay for the flywheel.

·
Registered
298 Posts
blarg said:
if I DO have to get my clutch replaced could I ask them to put in a lighter flywheel while they got the whole thing opened? or does a different flywheel also require a different clutch? just wondering if I can get SOA to pick up the tab for the clutch and I can just pay for the flywheel.
it's my understanding that a part of the problem lies in the fact that the early models already have a light flywheel, and when the clutch gets replaced that one of the parts for correcting the problem is adding a new, and heavier flywheel. there's been lots of talk on i-club about this, i don't know this to be a fact from experience but it has been posted over there by several people that had the replacement. someone should be able to confirm that for you over there though if noone pipes up here

·
895 Posts
i suppose they would do it for you, but i wouldn't be asking your service rep for any more favors anytime soon. you're basically getting them to do the labor for some aftermarket install you want, and you'd be getting it for free, so they might feel you were cheating SOA somehow. also...i don't know if the ppl doing the install would get paid for installing a flywheel thats not subaru. but if you can get them to do it, all the more power to you

·
Registered
7 Posts
SOA says no clutch service bulletins for WRX

I wrote SOA to ask about any WRX clutch shudder service bulletins; their reply:

"Thank you for visiting the Subaru Web site and for taking the time to e-mail us with your concerns. There is not service program or recall regarding the clutch in your car. If your dealer can duplicate a problem with your car, then it can be repaired under warranty."

Hmmmm. Anybody have a direct pipeline to SOA so we can all quit guessing about this stuff????

·
Registered
785 Posts
SOA won't officially say anything that's going to look like a recall. They are aware of the problem and it will be fixed under warranty. Mine goes in on the 20th and I'm trying to pay for a lighter flywheel also since it's one of the pieces that will be replaced anyway, it's not any extra labor. I only want to pay the difference in the price between the two flywheels, so I'll let you guys know how it pans out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
When I called to see about an appointment, I asked if I could supply an aftermarket clutch instead of the stock one since the one that came in my car was apparently pretty ****ty. They said they could only replace Subaru parts. I have now read the threads that say the clutch design has been changed, so I'm less concerned, but I wanted to respond to your aftermarket part wish. I'll be really interested to hear that a dealer agreed to install something other than Subaru.

One interesting thing; they mentioned something about checking to see if my flywheel was cracked at the same time. Anybody ever heard of this problem?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts