Subaru WRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am a first time owner of a 2018 WRX Limited and I have put approximately 28,000 miles on the car since I bought it. I have noticed a different feel to the clutch when releasing the clutch pedal. I feel an occasional slip when first driving it but then it will improve. I believe that the clutch is not completely worn out but it is getting there. I notice the burning clutch smell which usually is only when I make a mistake or I am just driving like crap but now I smell it every time I drive it. I want to replace the clutch but I am not sure if I should stick with the stock clutch setup or go with an aftermarket performance setup. I drive the car to work and on occasional long distance road trips. I don't do any type of racing with this car but I was thinking that a aftermarket performance clutch would give me longevity and durability. Sorry if I sound stupid but I would really like some help with this.

Should I buy a aftermarket clutch or stock, if aftermarket what brand and model would you recommend?

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
A true performance clutch sacrifices longevity for holding capabilities. They usually have heavier springs and a softer grippier friction material. They will still last a while though.

A quality brand will offer some good choices for oem replacement, or even a heavy duty version. Those are typically your best bet unless you are at the point of shopping because your clutch can't hold the torque.

Avoid puck clutches of any type.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A true performance clutch sacrifices longevity for holding capabilities. They usually have heavier springs and a softer grippier friction material. They will still last a while though.

A quality brand will offer some good choices for oem replacement, or even a heavy duty version. Those are typically your best bet unless you are at the point of shopping because your clutch can't hold the torque.

Avoid puck clutches of any type.
Hello,
I appreciate the time you took to reply to my post. I understand what you are saying about the performance clutch and it makes sense, a performance clutch might not be the right choice. I am more interested in increasing the longevity of the clutch over the performance. The stock clutch seems to handle the torque fine to the best of my knowledge. I think I will try and find something close to the OEM part specs. The stock clutch was good when I first got the car and with my gained experience maybe it will last longer. Do you know if there is a way to adjust the spring back force of the clutch pedal.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Driving technique is the only thing that will extend the life of the clutch. You've only got to slip it hard a few times to kill it. There isn't an aftermarket clutch I know of that lasts longer than oem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes understood, admittedly I have not been the best manual driver and I have had a few oopsy moments. I have also been in a lot of stop and go traffic which does not help. One particular traffic incident was up a steep hill and it was stop and go which was horrible towards the top. I found my driving technique a little too late I think. I think the clutch will last a little bit longer as it does not slip when accelerating first through sixth gear. I only experience brief slipping when doing first gear take-offs when engine is still warming up and consistent burnt clutch smell. Is the friction plate adjustable to compensate for wear?

·
Super Moderator
10,919 Posts
Not exactly but yes. That's what the springs do.

·
BooSTIng
2,253 Posts
Are you planning on modding your car at all? If you intend to push more power/torque then upgrading to a stronger clutch wouldn't be a bad idea. If you are keeping it stock, or close to it, I would get something a bit stronger clutch.

I prefer ACT clutches.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts