·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Clutch question ? Pls help me

G'day folks...
Just wondering.....

I own a MY00 STI Version VI,
I've bought a JUN Flywheel 5.4 Kg already, My question is do i need to change the clutch ? I guess that my original clutch would be a heavy duty one....

What do u think guys do i need to change the whole clutch, keep my original clutch, or modify the clutch (Change or modify the clutch cover springs, heavier pressure plate, new throwout bearing, put more weight on it ?)

My friend said i better use my original clutch if it's still in good condition,is it true ? Will it make any difference whether i change the clutch or not ? mine is already heavy duty...(not sure if sti clutch would be a heavy duty, otherwise it makes power more than standard wrx)

If u recommend me to buy one....Which brand of clutch should i buy ? , What kind of heavy duty clutch should i use (Single plate, kevlar, carbon etc, how many pucks should i use) ?
Perhaps u know the weight of standard sti clutch and standard sti flywheel ?

Pls help me..cos goin to change it urgently, otherwise it would be the same price for putting clutch and flywheel together isn't it ?
so i wanna make a right decision...

Actually my original clutch only done 20 k ....it's still good enough isn't it ? till now never been raced....but someday i will....hehehe...after i change the whole suspension.... : þ

I think i wanna modify it like putting more Kg on my clutch.....STI original Clutch Weight is around 120kg ......Wanna put more weight to 700 Kg...
Is that a right decision ? What do u think ? I wanna make it a good clutch, as you all know that WRX gearbox is very weak... So i wanna modify it without break the G'box if i use it harshly...hehe

All comments would be appreciated
Thanks guys...

[email protected]

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
try a post in the aussie forum for help. as far as the clutch, i'm not well schooled in the pre '02 wrx. we didn't get it out here till this year, and we're still waiting on the Sti.

when you say heavy duty, what do you mean? weight wise? material? i would say if you are upgrading to a Jun flywheel, why not use the rest of their clutch components? are you trying to save some cash?

dR

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
If you decide to use your old clutch, get a new throw-out bearing.

For new clutches, unless you're pumping out 500 bhp, you don't need a dual friction clutch.

If it's going to be driven on the street, make it it's sprung. Without the springs, like the race clutchs (full disc, pucks, etc), clutch engagement will be very harsh. It is also destroy your transmission rather quicker (compared to a more streetable sprung clutch).

ACT, Clutch Master, Centerforce, etc....makes good clutches. And make sure you you get a new throwout bearing.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
If your car has over 300HP and you are installing a lightened flywheel, do yourself a favor and upgrade to an aftermarket clutch, pressure plate, and a new throwout bearing. Think about the labor involved in changing the clutch. You are already doing 90% of the job by replacing the flywheel, do the clutch while you're undere there!

Just my $0.02.

-Jim

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
If you go to a shop, they will charge you a standard 6 hours of labor (by the "book"), maybe more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts