Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
clutch question

what's up guys (and girls, i guess)? great forum! i've been lurking in the shadows for a while now, but finally decided to register so i could throw a few questions at you. last night i was pulling out of a really steep parking lot and this giant ford f-250 almost backed into me. i sort of freaked out, and ended up racing the engine to about 5000 rpm or so and riding the clutch really badly. this was followed by the car filling with the distinct smell of something burning, and the clutch (or something) slipping whenever 1st or 2nd gear was engeged for the remainder of the drive home. today it seems to be shifting ok. i even took it by the dealership on my way to work this morning, and they said the clutch seemed to working fine. so what gives? can a clutch just overheat and operate poorly until it cools back down? and again, great forum. glad to be here.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
You glazed your clutch. I am not sure of the specifics but I think you will be alright and did only minor damage. Try a search for glazed clutch and see what you come up with, I remember reading a few threads that spoke about glazing the clutch and I am sure they will give you the information that you need. Other than that, welcome and enjoy.

-joe

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Thanks Josh, I'm lazy :)

-joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow, that search tool is really handy, huh? :)
i found a couple of additional threads that talk about both clutch shudder and glazed clutch:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7951&highlight=glazed+AND+clutch

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11436&highlight=glazed+AND+clutch

what i experienced last night was definitely not clutch shudder, although i have that also, but only on the first couple of starts in the morning... just like what everybody else is describing.

what happened to me last night sounds more like what you guys are calling a glazed clutch. there was definitely the distinct smell of burned clutch, coupled with high revs without much forward movement. sounds like a good many of the board members have done this, and most seem to say that it straightens out after driving the car for a while. only a few say that they have had to replace the clutch, and it's nice to hear that it is covered under warranty.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've smelled burning plenty of times, especially the other night when I was practicing starting from being parked on a hill, lol, I'm learning pretty quick though. Hopefully I don't murder my clutch :rolleyes:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Glazing your clutch occurs when you hold the clutch down to longwhen leaving the line under hard accelleration. I do it every once in a while and it really effects performance.
If you over heat you clutch leaving the line it will glaze over causing it to continue slipping even though your foot is off the clutch. It can keep slipping all the way down the track is some instances. It usually does it in 1st in 2nd gear after a bad launch.

I did it at the track last night. In stead of just dumping the clutch instantly I slowly slipped out the clutch. Didn't mean to do it. It just happened and my car would pull right throuth 1st gear into second. This cost me several tenths in the 1/8 mile. The next run I dumped the clutch, got good wheel spin, and ran several tenths faster.

I try not to slip the clutch off the line when racing. Even though many will say thats the best method for saving the tranny. All I know is slipping the clutch slows my WRX down and causes the clutch to glaze over. esecially now that I'm making a lot more HP than stock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts