ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright this is the first time owning a subie sti .. so heres the problem

on the right passenger side when i roll down the passenger window at 2 rpms i can hear a grinding sound (kinda metal sound) only at 2 rpms* if i keep the rev at 2 rpms you can hear it it wont go away... also when i accelerate hard on the pedal say in 3rd or 4th gear at 2rpms to 2.5 it makes a little rattling noise .... ive gotten alot of people telling me diffrent stuff in person someone sed that it could be my stock clutch burning out because of the things i have done to the car running on stock ( 3in downpipe , stage 2 ecu, exhaust , intake, ) or also a engine problem.. i hope not but idk can everyone please give me a few ideas of what this can be before i have to bring it to a mechanic and get screwd over for them just looking at my car..... its a 2010 sti thanks!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely your passenger front window bearings. Keep that window rolled up.

its not my window.... i mean it sounds like its coming from either underneath the car on the right side.. or underneath the hood on the right side

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
So it doesn't increase in frequency with engine or tire speed? If not it's probably just a heat shield rattle or something. If it were something that went along with engine or tire speed, then you could be worried.

Also, when your clutch is burning, it's not something you typically hear, more smell, unless the throw out bearing is going out. Whoever told you that is someone you probably shouldn't consult for future automotive issues.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks it does smell though when I dropped the clutch once last week I've been babyn it ever since cause I'm nervous of what it is

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Did this start after you did the clutch drop?

These cars aren't designed to do that.

You can always throw your stock parts back on and take it in for warranty service.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It was making a little noise like a month ago but when I dropped the clutch it smelled bad nd the sound got louder for a little I mean it still drives perfect its just the noises at 2rpms 2.5 to 3 are killin me after I go past 3 Rpms it dosnt make any noise

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
its not my window.... i mean it sounds like its coming from either underneath the car on the right side.. or underneath the hood on the right side
He was joking. He's got a penchant for smartassery, and he's damned good at it.

Sounds like the turbo heatshield rattling to me too. What heatshield did you get when you replaced your downpipe?

·
Premium Member
17,655 Posts
down at the bottom passenger side, there is a small 10mm bolt that connects the heatshield to the uppipe bracket. It's a giant pain in the ass to get connected correctly. My cobb heatshield actually broke right there and started vibrating.

That'd be the first place I'd look. There are a lot of vibrations between 1.5k and 3k. It'd make sense.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts