ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed an odd issue lately that has be wondering. I do not think it is really hurting anything, but figured I would ask for opinions and if anyone else has notices this.

The car:
2011 WRX Cobb DP, Nameless CB, OTS Cobb stage 2 tune.

I always do the normal 'responsible' driving till the engine is in normal operating temp range.

Once warmed up, if I take it all the way to read line slowly (not full load or WOT) and shift, then again to red and shift, the clutch pedal presses in nice and smooth, no vibrations or anything, like butter. Then, if I WOT a bit (through the gears and what not) I notice that the clutch press is still smooth traveling, but that the pedal vibrates a bit and tickles my toes a bit. Is this normal?

After the WOT pulls mentioned above, when I go back to 'sane' driving, the vibrations are there for a short time but to a less degree. Once I have driven 1-2 minutes 'sane', the vibrations are completely gone again till the next WOT pulls.

Also I have noticed that when I drive spiritedly, the throttle response, and steering seem to 'tighten up' and become slightly more sharp.... I would love to think that this is by design, the way the car is meant to react to spirited driving, but wonder if it is just a placebo effect of turbo intoxication:drive:

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'm wondering if you're slightly glazing your clutch with these WOT pulls. Can you describe in detail exactly how you shift in terms of how closely you rev match and let out the clutch?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im pretty sure you are describing what I feel too when I drive "spirited." When driven normal no problem but once I get on it the clutch pedal feels as though there is a vibration or some sort of pressure on it and it feels like this for a while when pressing down on it. I realized that if i keep pressing down numerous times it will go away but it does come back when I drive "spirited" again. I was suspecting it might have something to do with the throwout bearing but i was told take it to the dealership and im still working on that.... btw i have a 2011 rex stock. Let me know what you find out about this.

·
Lando Calrissian
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think this would really be glazing.... there is not 'clutch smell' like you would get from riding the clutch or a launch, and it shows up when you press the clutch in, not on the way out.

Honestly, the rev matching is better when not driving spirited.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I was thinking about this some more and seem to recall a lot of posts like this about the 2011, but I don't recall every seeing a solution or source to the problem. I've heard you can pump your clutch about 5 times while in neutral and it'll make it go away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts