Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else notice that their clutch engages almost 100% in the first 1/4 of pedal travel up from the floor? How hard is that to adjust? I'll admit, I haven't even looked at it yet (but I did try a search :p and found zilch)

I've heard about pedals being adjusted for gals wearing high heels; I look bad in heels :D --so I don't mean that drastic.. ..but casual shifting would be easier if I had a bit more "active zone". For drag races maybe it's better the way it is--or maybe it's possible that my foot will re-train after a few more months..

..it's like the first half of the travel (pushing down) is wasted. Comments?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, as the clutch wears the friction point will move "up" the path of travel. Most sticks I've driven follow that. That was one of the hardest things to get used to on my WRX. I was used to a car with the clutch worn out, so the friction point was much higher in the travel of the pedal.

·
Registered
679 Posts
klancek said:
..it's like the first half of the travel (pushing down) is wasted. Comments?
nope, most people find it's the other way around. It doens't fully let go until you're 95% off of the pedal. There are tons of posts about that. This is what I had to get used to.

Maybe your fluid is low or you have air in your lines. :confused:

·
2,210 Posts
Yeah, a new clutch should disengage almost as soon as you touch the pedal. Conversely, this means it won't re-engage until you are almost all the way off the pedal.

If you are seeing otherwise, you may have a problem as TypeC suggested.

-Pace

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would love it if I could take a 1/4 off the total clutch movement off. It only engages near the middle to top of mine so it's like the first half near floor is just waste.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm reviving this old thread because it's new to me!

:D

Anyway,

I felt that the clutch engagement of my new WRX was way too high. I mean, the pedal goes up, up, up, up and right at the end it's when it would engage. It was making my shifting very jerky.

Maybe it's because my previous car had a high performance aftermarket clutch that had a completely opposite engagement (just a little bit off the floor), but I HAD to adjust it.

So I adjusted the rod that goes from the pedal assembly to the master cylinder a few turns and the clutch engages now more towards the center of the travel. It feels sooo much better now.
The pedal effort also seems a bit less, like there's less tension on the "return spring".

Now my shifting is back to being seamless.

Is it your experience that most WRX's come like that (high engagement) from the factory? Any particular reason for this?

Has anyone else done this?

I guess the only concern would be that going too low would have the clutch be partially engaged even with the pedal to the floor. There's only so much adjustement on that rod, so I don't even think that you can go to that extreme.
You could possibly go to the other extreme, where you release the pedal all the way and the clutch is still not completely engaged.

Anyway, any comments or suggestions from anyone?

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
mine grabs right at the floor. how many miles were on your REX when you got it? sounds like it might have been used excessively before you got it.

dR

·
980 Posts
my clutch pedal is sweaking when i engage and disengage it. anyone else see this about 4-5K miles into the car?

-c

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
fengshui said:
my clutch pedal is sweaking when i engage and disengage it. anyone else see this about 4-5K miles into the car?

-c
my gas pedal does to. i plan to oil it this weekend. should do the trick.

dR

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I dont have the car yet but the WRX has a hydraulic clutch? I thought that clutches were manual. correct me if im wrong

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow.. old thread--revived. :D

Polaris: guessing on the convention from steering vs. power steering, "manual" means that there's no vacuum boost. So it can still be hydraulic and be "manual". ..unless you're talking about manual vs. automatic transmission.. which is a whole different can of beans. :)

enduro: thanks for the tip on the rod; I've sorta become used to it, but maybe I'll try tweaking a bit

fengshui: YES! Ack! I've been tempted to whine a little about it next time it's serviced.. but ya know if that's the only problem I've got I'm doing pretty good. :)

Now I gotta find a way to fix the screeching windows ..yes, I know, I'll search. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
dark_rex said:
mine grabs right at the floor. how many miles were on your REX when you got it? sounds like it might have been used excessively before you got it.

dR
19 miles.

So, let me get this straight:

A clutch that engages right at the end when your foot is almost out of the pedal is a "new" or an "worn" clutch?

I've had new clutches that engage right when the pedal starts lifting from the floor and have had new clutches that engage at the very end when the pedal is almost all the way out. I use "engage" as in when already changed gears and are lifting your leg from the pedal to "engage" the gear.

:confused:

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I have ~500 miles on my wrx. When I first got it, it was engaging about 25-35% from the floor. Already after 500 miles I feel that either it moved up a bit (maybe 45% now) or I got used to it. Either way, this business of it engaging almost at the top of it's travel is totally not the way my car is.... I don't think anything is wrong tho...

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
i thought they were manually operated and there was no fluid involved. guess i was wrong but I learn something everyday

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
okay, let me field a few of these...

the wrx has a hydrolic clutch. almost all japanese cars do now. subaru is no exception. i don't know any that AREN'T, but i do know most are.

a clutch that grabs right away (at the floor) is generally newer than a clutch that grabs higher off the floor. some cars come with the clutch grab at different points. for example, A4's traditionally grab right in the middle. with use or wear, the clutch will grab further from the floor. (b/c proper use barely wears a clutch, a clutch with proper driving should outlast the car)

i prefer it to grab right away (like new) for faster launches.

as far as i know, there hasn't been a good fix for the window squeak. there are some informative searches on it. i think the conclusion is that it's a function of the frameless window, and doors that are fastened too tight by subaru.

dR

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
What do you call "outlasting the car"? I've just never seen a clutch go 200k miles without replacement. I thought the 125k I currently have on my CRX's clutch was some sort of record!

·
Registered
20 Posts
There is a rod that goes from the master cylinder, through the firewall and connects to the clutch pedal assembly (at the RIGHT side of the gas pedal). That rod is threaded into the clutch pedal assembly and has a locking nut. Loosen up the locking nut and thread or unthread the rod a few turns and lock the nut again.

--
Ony

·
Registered
878 Posts
What about a clutchstop, would that help?? could eliminate some of the unneeded lower end pedal travel. I know they use them on BMW's a lot, havent seen one for the WRX yet though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts