ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
driving conditions: normal, daily commute
problem: while driving, EVERY gear is giving trouble. shifting into gear is hard and VERY notchy (sometimes i have to force it in). when i was driving the other day, while stationary (anytime i stop i place the car in neutral until i take off) i was trying to get back into 1st gear and it would not go, then i tried to go into 2nd gear and it would not go. any gear i tried it would not go.

well i turned off the car, then shifted into gear and it shifted in fine. left it in gear turned it back on and drove to the closest location i could park the car to have subaru roadside come pick it up and take it to the dealer. well the dealer calls me back today and states that my clutch is on its last leg and pretty much gone and the the cost to fix this is about $1500. that is OUTRAGEOUS to me and i already know that clutch is not warranty work. they gave me this diagnostic without cracking anything open.

my question to you WRX guru's is: what is it? the tranny? the clutch? the synchros?

i think this guy is trying screw me (me and him have history about my previous tranny problem)

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
doubt it's the clutch. Only reason it would be the clutch is if when you pushed in the pedal the clutch wasn't disengaging. If you could push in the clutch and rev the engine independently from the tranny then that's not the case. Sounds to me like they are trying to dick you over. Change out the tranny fluid to a 50/50 mixture of Redline MT90 and GM Synchromesh and see if that fixes your problem. It did mine.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Sounds like the fluid is messed up. How many miles on that tranny fluid? change it out.

If the clutch really is almost done, find one for a good price and get it installed for non-rapist prices. I wouldn't change it if it's not slipping.

Perhaps try a different dealer that may investigate the tranny issue?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I actually had something similar happened to me and it was the clutch. If I depressed the clutch pedal allt eh way, I couldn't shift, it was as if the clutch was still engaged, but if I only pressed it in half-way it worked perfectly. Turned out a couple of the springs (or something similar) in the clutch let go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
quick way to tell is jump in it and see if it changes geers easy when you pump the clutch. if its grinding even after pumping the clutch then its prolly the geers/synch's

but i agree with scoob, check the fluid in that bad boy and swap it out regardless. drain it into an open container and see how much debris is in there. if you got large chunks of metal then its your gears, if its clean then more likly clutch.

brings me to a question, is the drain plug for the tranny have a magnet on it to hold the debris?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts