ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey goes today ny clutch started to go out. Rpms launched but my wrx was taking forever to get going. So its time for a clutch. The car is all stock its the 07 wrx. I was interested in getting a better clutch to. I want to push the car to 300 hp at crank at some point so what would you guys reccomend? I would like a clutch that can take a beating :p

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
Yep. For 300 at the crank, anything beyond stock would be overkill and unnecessary leg work.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
Anything more than stock...then it's your transmission that will take a beating per your words. Would you rather replace a clutch every 20k miles or a transmission every 20k miles?

Stock is where it's at. I believe you need a flywheel as well...stock WRX flywheels aren't resurfaceable from what I understand (this could be determined during teardown by whomever does it)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright thanks a lot for all the information. I am going to stick with OEM, Will be getting a new flywheel, I had considered that prior thank you for confirming that for me though^_^. I was wondering what I all need, Im at SubaruGenuineparts.com and I am looking at the OEM area. I need the Disc and the flywheel, but what else? Pilot Bearing? Pressure Plate? Release Bearing? Release fork?

·
Gold Member
2,175 Posts
You're venturing outside of my area of expertise in the clutch area....EJ257?

I'm confused. Are you having braking issues, too? You can install a master cylinder brace, but I'm not clear why your current one is "bad"..

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am not having brake issues, Just clutch problems here let me type out of what he said. "just because its burning doesn't mean anything and its delayed because you may have a bad master cylinder check your clutch fluid you may need a proper bleeding so your lines have no air bubbles" thats what he had said.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
If the clutch is slipping when fully engaged, it isn't the hydraulic system. If you were having trouble with getting the clutch to disengage, pedal feel problems, engagement too low, pedal soft, etc... then you would consider the hydraulic system being at fault.

When you're moving, get into 4th gear at lower RPM's and floor it. If the RPM's shoot up and you go nowhere, your clutch is done. And to echo others in this thread, OEM replacement for sure.

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Kk. I don't know if you've ordered it already or not, but I'd recommend going with an "aftermarket" Exedy OEM replacement kit. It comes with everything you need, except the flywheel, and will be cheaper than going through Subaru (for the most part) while providing the same part. I've seen some killer deals on those clutch kits lately.

·
Pro Manscaper
21,455 Posts
^^^Good call. Anything is cheaper than going directly through the stealership for parts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts