Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
Most tranny shops will tell you 60,000 to 100,000 miles for a clutch.

My last car got 200,000 miles on the OE clutch (Camry V6).

My co-worker has over 350,000 on his clutch (84 Rabbit Diesel).

·
1,377 Posts
My civic had 132,000 on it (technically 131,999 when I traded it in). And still original clutch. I'm not easy on clutches either... But there was some highway miles on it too... so I'd say easily 100k if not more. Depends on how much you slip it vs. letting it engage then hitting boost.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Good question. All that was stated above is pretty true I think. I got 100,000 miles out of my 86 Accord clutch and probably more before the car died.

BUT we are talking about the WRX here. The AWD/slip the clutch to save the tranny for our good launching here. I have 25,000 miles on my car with not too many launches (maybe 30-40) and a couple of really bad clutch burning ones and I am going to replace it here pretty soon (lightened flywheel) so I will know how much of it's left.

I would say it all comes down to how you drive it. I know of one person who wore down their stock clutch so bad that they couldn't even shift anymore at about 10,000-12,000 miles.

If you drive like a grandma there is no reason it shouldn't last 100,000+ but I don't think too many of us actually drive like that ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Before I got my MY00 RS, I asked a couple of mechanics about this and both said that the life expectancy on a Subaru clutch is on average HALF of FWD & RWD vehicles. I sold that car with 7500k and a newly replaced clutch under warranty. Now have a WRX and at 5000k, I'm waiting out the periodic "clutch shudder" 'til I can upgrade to a street performance clutch. Ya gotta love the car to deal with these things! :D Oh, I autox so...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I guess when you race autox or aggressive driving, normal equation
is out the door. Tires, clutch and brake pads all wear out fast.

I went thru a set of RE71 in a year racing my Egale TSI back then.
So just go play and replace what ever wears out :D

Speed costs :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yargk said:
How long will a WRX clutch last under normal use (no racing)? My girlfriend is getting a WRX and is concerned.
Yargk, back to your original post...if she wants it for normal use ( can a WRX be used for normal use?:rolleyes: ), then maybe an auto would cause less concern? ;) :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
this is my first clutch...

I hadn't driven a stick as a day-to-day driver before this and I'm getting alot out of the clutch. I thought by now because of my inexperiance with MT's and my lack of EVER driving an AWD I would be on my second clutch atleast by now (6900 miles). I also drive ALOT in the cities, mainly Newark, and Dwtn Jersey City (some Manhattan but I usually support the Path).

Now a question:

What street clutch would you guys recommend? Advanced Clutch or Centerforce? I drove a Stang for a week (car sitting for friends ROCKS!) with a centerforce and that ting is barnone. It catches quickly and sticks like a mother! It's so difficult to hold down that it almost MAKES you a better shifter. I think couple that with the short throw I have I should have a pretty boostful car.

What setup would you guys recommend? Is there another clutch I should be looking at?

Lux

·
Registered
310 Posts
You need more research, a strong clutch put more stress on the
tranny. I will talk to someone that have done it and see what the
result is :)

Btw you might want a lighter fly wheel to help the launch. Since
it will not cost that much more to install once you have it apart.

·
Registered
90 Posts
an upgraded clutch will damage the transmition? damn. When i got my car in december i started racing it in the bronx every weekend, and sad to say i droped the clutch in 8k DOH! thats what i get i guess, but the fly wheel conects to the drive shaft right? er wait is that the clutch? Hence the name NEWbie, nways what would anyone recomend for clutch and flywheel replacement? and rumble could you post your findings that would help me out alot if you could thanx

·
Registered
310 Posts
newbie967 said:
an upgraded clutch will damage the transmition? damn. When i got my car in december i started racing it in the bronx every weekend, and sad to say i droped the clutch in 8k DOH! thats what i get i guess, but the fly wheel conects to the drive shaft right? er wait is that the clutch? Hence the name NEWbie, nways what would anyone recomend for clutch and flywheel replacement? and rumble could you post your findings that would help me out alot if you could thanx
Flywheel connects to the engine. Clutch plate connects to the
tranny. When you depress the clutch you are moving the clutch
plate away from the flywheel/engine. Racing clutch and lighter
flywheel transfer power faster to the wheel so it put a higher
load on everything. Speed costs :D

Drop clutch or slide clutch still wears out your clutch faster then
normal driving for sure. Also powershift ( no lifting of gas pedal
when shifting ) is also bad for the clutch and tranny.

Racing put a heavy load on the engine and tranny period. Why do
you think race cars get reqular teardown to rebuild everything,
cause thing breaks or just wears out. Also serious racers have
track cars ( not street legal ) for SCCA, rally, autoX etc to maximize
the performance since the car is dialed for the type of racing they
are participating in, not for everyday driving.

Enjoy racing but learn how to win and still drive the car home in
one piece :)

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
NOSS,

How the hell did you put 7.5 million miles on your 2.5RS in less than two years?!?!?! :D

-Jim

NOSS said:
Before I got my MY00 RS, I asked a couple of mechanics about this and both said that the life expectancy on a Subaru clutch is on average HALF of FWD & RWD vehicles. I sold that car with 7500k and a newly replaced clutch under warranty. Now have a WRX and at 5000k, I'm waiting out the periodic "clutch shudder" 'til I can upgrade to a street performance clutch. Ya gotta love the car to deal with these things! :D Oh, I autox so...:rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
hypothetically, a clutch should last the life of the automobile assuming it is driven well it's entire life. 100,000 is generally the basic number though as most cars of the past died somewhere around there, or were sold. fact is, no one is perfect. and in the WRX, it does breed a bit more of an aggressive style. :D

i don't see how an AWD drive system would affect the tranny. if you're executing the clutch release and the gas properly, it should be the same as any other hydrolic clutch.

dR

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
dark_rex said:
hypothetically, a clutch should last the life of the automobile assuming it is driven well it's entire life. 100,000 is generally the basic number though as most cars of the past died somewhere around there, or were sold. fact is, no one is perfect. and in the WRX, it does breed a bit more of an aggressive style. :D

i don't see how an AWD drive system would affect the tranny. if you're executing the clutch release and the gas properly, it should be the same as any other hydrolic clutch.

dR
dr,

The AWD system is basically twice as much drivetrain to start from a stop than a FWD or RWD automobile. To say that a Subaru clutch will only last half as long as a "traditional drivetrain" clutch seems like a bit of an exaggeration to me. I fully expect to get 60,000+miles out of my clutch including rallying and drag racing.

-Jim

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
dark_rex said:

dR
You're right, because, 4WD trucks basically have similar clutch life as their RWD counterparts.

Jim, they way you drive, it's going to last more like 30,000 miles. 60,000 miles plus, is extremely optimistic.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Jim!! I'm apalled!

you don't think it's more stress on the clutch to drive a car of X wieght from two wheels rather than four?!?! the clutch is still trying to move X lbs no matter what. it should be easier on the clutch and tranny by that arguement.

four wheel drive trucks is a good example. my father's fleet has had 4WD pickups with original clutches. most of the people driving them are total monkeys or late teenagers. they average 300K plus miles. many have had engine swaps and OE clutches were left in there for the new block.

i want a good answer to that one. i can't just leave that one be.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
tan said:
Jim, they way you drive, it's going to last more like 30,000 miles. 60,000 miles plus, is extremely optimistic.
We shall see my diesel driving friend, we shall see.

dr,

Vehicle weight and clutch surface area are the most important mechanical aspects of clutch wear.

Just as a near apples to apples comparison:
A Z-28 weighs only slightly more than a WRX.
Both cars driven with equal enthusiam, I guarantee the Z-28 clutch will last longer.

I'm not going to argue with you. It requires more torque to drive a mechanically more complex drivetrain, especially from a dead stop. If this isn't the case, why do we see such high driveline HP losses compared to our rear- and wrong-wheel-drive friends?

-Jim

1 - 20 of 27 Posts