ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 WRX 5 speed. I'm putting the motor back in soon and I need a new clutch, I need something that can take a beating from the launch control. Any suggestions what brand/type?

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
Stock transmission? If so, you're already asking for a gearsplosion. If it's upgraded, then go with something with a little more bite, but NO pucked clutches if you intend to drive on the street at all. Something like the Exedy Stage 1 or ACT Heavy Duty Street clutch kits should do the trick.

If you're on a stock transmission and you're launching a lot, heaven help you. Go with an OEM replacement in that case.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL..it is a stock tranny with a stage 2 motor and exhaust. Ive been hearing a lot about how bad the tranny is in this year..2003..I haven't driven the car yet cuz I bought it wrecked and then i found out the valves where bent and I just got the motor back together and I'm waiting to find the right clutch. Yes I plan on launching alot so I might as well put a stock clutch back in and burn it off and save the tranny.

Thanks man

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
Just budget for a new trans now. You will need one in the next 3 months

·
Good news, everyone!
3,856 Posts
LOL..it is a stock tranny with a stage 2 motor and exhaust. Ive been hearing a lot about how bad the tranny is in this year..2003..I haven't driven the car yet cuz I bought it wrecked and then i found out the valves where bent and I just got the motor back together and I'm waiting to find the right clutch. Yes I plan on launching alot so I might as well put a stock clutch back in and burn it off and save the tranny.

Thanks man
You're welcome, but like GarrettKoonsman said, start saving up for a tranny swap or build. Drivetrain abuse is not something Subarus handle well in stock form.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts