Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With stock tires, what is the best rpm to drop the clutch and not lose the tranny? I have heard around 3 grand but that does not work well for me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I like to keep the needle around 5000 to 5500 rpm. Then slip the cluth. I go a little slow at first and then the car starts to roll i usually just let it out faster.

·
Registered
30 Posts
this is my first standard car, so this is all more or less new to me. i am looking for a good technique for a good quick start. so it is not a good idea to just quickly as you can release (dump)the cluch around 5000 rpm? i guess i do not completly understand what is ment by slipping the cluch. when i do this (what i think is slipping the cluch)i tend to smell burning cluch. now i am sure that this is not a good thing. but when doing so i am not able to get a quick tire chirp in first or second gear.

What i am looking for is a more detailed description of some different techniques???

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't like launching my car...

In all the other manual trannies I've driven, I've never smelled BBQ clutch so much in my life as I do in the WRX. What I generally do is just make a fairly quick start, and then when I'm off the clutch I floor it. Yea, doesn't exactly make for great starts, but it's better than the nasty smell you get from slipping the clutch (which I'm certain does it absolutely no good).

·
Registered
30 Posts
well that makes me feel a little better. that it may not be completely me. i wonder if anyone else notices the samething.

·
2,210 Posts
If you're getting burning smells or plumes of white smoke, you're slipping too much. If you bog the car, you're not slipping enough. It takes practice. Find a deserted road in the middle of the country and try a few practice starts. Let your clutch cool some between each attempt.

-Pace

·
Registered
30 Posts
when you slip are you able to get your wheels to spin a little or at all. at least a chirp...and what is the key to chirping then going to second and is this ok for the car....

·
2,210 Posts
The only time I have chirped my tires on a dry start was on a rippled road surface. If the road is smooth and dry and you chirp off the line, then I'm guessing you are either running high HP or you dumped the clutch.

Chirping 'round corners is much easier and a lot of fun, though..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Slipping?

Ok i understand what dumping the clutch is...however...what is slipping the clutch? Is that just when u slowly let up on the clutch at like 5000 rpms? The reason i ask is I am semi-newbie 5 spd driver and I mean I can hold it down pretty good, but today I smelled some burning after I quickly shifted from 1st to 2nd. I ususally dont push the clutch all the way to the floor...but if you are trying to shift fast...how can u push it all the way to the floor and let it up nicely...actaully...should I give it gas....clutch...(with foot off gas)...shift and then let off the clutch nicely while giving it gas?? I am teaching myself to drive all over again...I dont have any friends that drive stick so I am on my own (well I have you all tho) ugh...i thought i could drive the 5 speed....i guess not :(

·
2,210 Posts
Well it's worth mentioning that it's surprisingly easy to roast the WRX clutch. I've had the puke-like burning smell several times, and at least once have engulfed my car in plumes of white smoke (got it bogged in deep snow).

If you're getting burning smells during normal shifting, then I think you are letting the clutch out too slowly after the shift. You can probably expect a little clutch odor during a nicely executed start though.

Anyway, dumping is just pulling your foot off the clutch as abruptly as you can. Slipping is anything less than that, but IMO you ideally want to balance the clutch and throttle so that your RPM's stay fairly static until you have the clutch all of the way out. I like to keep my engine revolutions around 4500rpm during quick starts. I find this to be trickier with a turbocharged motor.

The guys who are experienced at running quarters can probably dissect the perfect start for you in minute detail. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts