Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the skinny.

My car falls in the VIN range for the defective clutch for the USDM rex. I have the noise, and all the tests per SOA (from I-Club) point to that is my problem.

Three weeks ago i dropped it off at Natick Subaru, who sucks by the way, and they were unable to diagnose the problem. they also failed to fix my window, which makes a horrible squeal when put down. imagine my frustration when i got in the car to pick it up, they didn't diagnose the clutch issue, and i put my window down for a smoke, and the thing whines at me.

so i dropped it off today, took a tech out for a ride to make sure that they at least heard it. He heard the noise, described it as sounding like a loose shroud or heatsheild.. I said, "exactly." Wish me luck, i hope to hell they fix this thing soon.

anyone in the New England area had the decel noise fixed? Natick Subaru has no idea what i'm talking about, and as many times as i insist that they call SOA, and they will be enlightened with what i am talking about, they fail to solve or recognize the problem.

stay away from Natick Subaru's Service Dept. I know this is slander, but they suck in my experience.

tips, suggestions, advice would be much appreciated. I just want betty to be healty :)

dR

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have exactly the same problems. I haven't taken it in yet, I wanted to formulate my plan first. Weird that we have the same window noise too. I assumed it was just my windows and they were wet or something. Do you have the list of VIN's affected by the clutch decel prob? Or the range anyway?

Hope your baby gets healthy... Hope mine does too..

-Tim

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tastes like burning!!! LOL

i love ralphy!!

"I've got grass hoppers taped to my back"

here's the link to the i-club thread. it's huge, but if you have the problem, i would reccomend reading the whole thing.

I-club Thread on Decel Noise

Heres some of the vital information

Here is some good info posted by Red Rocket on another thread….. good to know!

Vin. Numbers & Symptoms.
- Rattle under de-cel usually in 3rd gear, 4000-2000 Rpm usually.
- Increase rear tire pressure 4 psi, decrease front 4 psi, should get louder. Do the opposite, should get quieter.
- If the last six digits of you VIN are lower than 515611, you have the old type clutch from the factory. If your motor number is less than 331738 (white tag, hard to find), you have the old clutch from the factory.
- The official subaru tech line fix (as of today), is IF your car HAS the OLD clutch parts as indicated by the VIN and Motor numbers, IT IS TO BE REPLACED BY THE FOLLOWING PARTS:

30100AA790 - Disc
30210AA530 - Cover (pressure plate)
12342AA050 - Flywheel
800610740 - Bolts

thx to redrocket on i-club.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the info....

My VIN does not fall below that range... Ill have to play with it some more sand see if its really going to bug me. I seem to notice it most when coming off boost. hmm.. time to go for a drive.

What about the windows? Do you think they will be able to get the squeel to stop? I would imagine they are just going to lube it somehow... although it may be an alignment problem.

Thanks again...

-Tim

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they lubed my window last time and it did nothing. not even for an hour.

i told them i want a new window motor. we'll see if they do that.

check your engine code, a lot of times the engine codes don't match the VIN code progression exactly, just depends when they come off their respective lines.

i know a number of people on i club had too high a VIN, but the engine code was right in the range. mine has both in the range.

dR

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These tags are directly below the Blow Off Valve on the front of the Intercooler. The best place to stand to look at these, is next to the driver's front tire.

Note:
I found 2 tags in this location on my WRX. One I think is the Engine code and the other I think is the Trans Code. My Engine code (B254931) was stamped into the block and my Trans code (566826) is on a White sticker. The white sticker is very easy to spot with a flash light. These 2 codes are inline and parallel with each other, and they about less than 2 inches apart. They are right side up and readible if you are standing in front of the car, facing the windshield. The white sticker is closer to the Firewall than the stamped engine code is, and the the sticker is on a lower piece on metal relative to the engine code.

dR

ps. hey jim, do you like my new footer? :D

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
something SOA wants you to do is....

call the 800 number, request to open a case file, so that SOA folks in Cherry Hill, NJ can track your problem and the dealership's corrective actions.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I had the decel noise fixed on my car. I'm the king of Subaru defects. Now my 4th gear synchro is gone and they are refusing to fix it unless I turn my car back to stock, Subaru service pretty much just sucks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
DR, I agree with Tan. Call SOA and tell them the difficulty your having with the dealer. They will contact the dealer directly and then you will see how quickly your problems will get resolved. I had to do this when the dealer told me the clutch noise was "normal".

·
Registered
242 Posts
KnightWRXRider said:
I had the decel noise fixed on my car. I'm the king of Subaru defects. Now my 4th gear synchro is gone and they are refusing to fix it unless I turn my car back to stock, Subaru service pretty much just sucks.
Knight, I pm'd you.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's funny, some lady just called me from subaru to ask how my service was earlier this month.

poor lady, i kind of unloaded all the crap and problems i've had with them all at once. she was real nice and reassuring about taking care of it.

anyone got that SOA number? i'm calling it as soon as betty is back in my hands today.

dR

·
Registered
785 Posts
My car goes in next Saturday. Guess I'll be driving a Legacy GT Limited for the day. :eek:

Nice car, but not quite the kick the REX has.

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wrxinthehouse said:
My car goes in next Saturday. Guess I'll be driving a Legacy GT Limited for the day. :eek:

Nice car, but not quite the kick the REX has.
i got screwed then!! i'm in a corrolla DX!!!!

you think THAT is slow? :))

dR

·
Registered
785 Posts
Man, sorry to hear that. Your subie dealer didn't put you in a Subie while you wait?! What kinda dealer is that. Makes you appreciate Betty that much more though huh?

·
Banned
7,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wrxinthehouse said:
Man, sorry to hear that. Your subie dealer didn't put you in a Subie while you wait?! What kinda dealer is that. Makes you appreciate Betty that much more though huh?

omg, i miss her so much! :) they're keeping her overnight. i hope she's okay....

dR

1 - 20 of 32 Posts