Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good News, Subaru does cover the clutch for the first 36k miles starting in 2001 (called and verified). But, the problem here is that they will not cover abuse. Like if the flywheel gears are chipped, etc. Nor will they cover cars with heavy mods like a boost controller and such. For anyone who has changed their clutch, or tranny (you know who you are), can you tell any signs of abuse like a damaged flywheel? Is there any other stock parts that can be damaged due to abuse from the tranny/driver? If my flywheel is damaged, I may be wasting my money since they said I would have to pay for the job.

My main symptom is that the car slips when I give it gas in 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear. I only notice a slip when shifting after burning up the clutch a bit while racing. Normal driving, there are no signs of slip, grinding, and clutch shudder.

Check out the Subaru Site and look under warranty.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I only notice a slip when shifting after burning up the clutch a bit while racing. Normal driving, there are no signs of slip, grinding, and clutch shudder.
My friend gets that too in his CRX. I don't your clutch is TOO bad off right now. Otherwise, it would start slipping in the higher gears all the time.
Slap me if I'm wrong though :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
So you've been racing it, now the clutch slips and you want a free new clutch? It sure doesn't sound like you have a defective clutch.

No wonder SOA is denying warranty claims all over the place...

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's more like a need a new clutch to keep my car at its optimum for the winter. Otherwise, I would get my lazy a$$ out there in the cold and replace it myself with a better clutch :).

·
Thinking Man's Engine
1,598 Posts
enduroshark said:
So you've been racing it, now the clutch slips and you want a free new clutch? It sure doesn't sound like you have a defective clutch.

No wonder SOA is denying warranty claims all over the place...

:rolleyes:
The fine print....not really...if you read the warranty manual, it does specifically state that abuse, modifications, etc...will void the warranty.

If you upped the boost....that does void the clutch warranty

·
Registered
266 Posts
Speaking about clutches, I have about 22k miles on my clutch. I slip the clutch just enough to avoid the loud clunk in the rear. But after about 3 AWD-highRev-Super-Slip Launches. I can really feel my clutch starting to wear down. Alot faster then my Honda. If i start driving like I did in my Honda (depressing the clutch as soon as possible after shifting), will that help clutch life? ~Regardless of the loud clunk in the back.

·
895 Posts
i get major clutch slip all the time now - 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th - anytime i wanna go fast, i can't floor it unless i want clutch slip. i desparately need a new clutch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts