Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clutch Chatter Problem When Cold

I am having a problem with clutch chatter and am curious if anyone else is too. If anyone else has had this problem fixed, please tell me how it was accomplished.

When my car is cold and the ambient temperature is below 60 degrees, I get a significant amount of clutch chatter when starting out in 1st gear. Once the car reaches normal operating temperture, the problem goes away. Additionally, if the outside temperature is warmer and the car is cold, I do experience any chatter problems.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yup, I get it too. But like you said, it goes away once the car warms up. I just rev a litle higher when starting off in first gear and I've been able to avoid the clatter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Clutch sudder.

What is it with the Impreza's and Clutch sudder? My 2.5RS shudders whenever I shift gears. If I give it some gas just before I let up on the cluch, I can usually get it to shift smoothly ;but if I give it some gas and let off the clutch at the same time, the car shudders. My MR2 would never shudder, even if I shifted hard and did drop cluch lauches.

I took the Impreza to Subaru (It's under warranty), they took the trans off and said everything looked fine. The mech drove it and said the shudder was normal. ....Normal?....I don't think its normal but why would a mech lie about that? It's a warrantee job. I don't foot the bill and they still get paid.

Just to point out, I know how to drive a stick. I've been doing it for the past 5 years. I've raced my MR2, and mastered smooth shifting with it. I only get the sudder on the Impreza. Why?

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
When I first got my WRX, a guy with an old 2.5RS said, "Do you have the Subaru clutch shudder when it's cold?" I said, "Yup. So that's normal, then?" He said, "Yeah, all Imprezas do that." It doesn't bother me since it only does it the first couple of times I start out in the morning. After the clutch is warmed up, it's fine.

-Jim

·
Registered
3 Posts
well

Well it happens even when the car is not cold. It gets really annoying when I'm coasting in neutral from 5th gear and then have to re-engage 5th so that I can go again.

·
2,210 Posts
Re: Clutch sudder.

LtCommander said:
What is it with the Impreza's and Clutch sudder? My 2.5RS shudders whenever I shift gears. If I give it some gas just before I let up on the cluch, I can usually get it to shift smoothly ;but if I give it some gas and let off the clutch at the same time, the car shudders. My MR2 would never shudder, even if I shifted hard and did drop cluch lauches.

Have you driven AWD vehicles before? Some of what you are experiencing is probably drivetrain slop, which the WRX has plenty of. It's comparable to my Wrangler in fact, and is pretty normal for AWDs and some 4WD systems. My buddies AWD Eclipse did the same... Most noticeable when transitioning on and off the gas with the clutch engaged.

Some of the judder experienced on the WRX is due to the ECU playing around with the timing. Mine does this on cold mornings for the first few minutes of driving, and I believe it is also 'normal'. YMMV.

-Pace

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: well

LtCommander said:
Well it happens even when the car is not cold. It gets really annoying when I'm coasting in neutral from 5th gear and then have to re-engage 5th so that I can go again.
Why are you in neutral from 5th and then back into 5th? 5th gear is the tallest gear that puts the most strain on the clutch...it's the gear that you test the clutch for slippage...you gonna wear out your poor clutch doing that. :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
Yup, I have this too.
Once warm, all is well, and it does seem to help if you rev higher when starting out.
Anyone had warranty work done due to this?

G

·
Yep, my 2.5RS shuddered from 6k mi on and eventually had the clutch replaced at 15k mi. My WRX shuddered from 3k mi on and had the clutch replaced at 12k mi. Metric Subaru was good enough to replace them both under warranty. The RS had a shattered pressure plate as did the WRX.

I thought it was from the way I drove... I probably had 70 drop clutch launches logged on the RS and about 30 slip launches on the WRX. However, I've been on the new clutch on the WRX (which is supposed to be an updated, stronger part) for over 1k mi and I've purposefully been _extremely_ nice to it... no weird launching and very minimal spirited driving at all, and it repaid me by shuddering a bit yesterday morning. :(

The RS saw mostly city driving (lived in a small town) whereas the WRX sees a lot of highway and stop n go traffic (now I live in NYC).

~G, aka RidinLow

1 - 9 of 9 Posts