ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i changed my Sturts about 4 months ago or so because they were completely blown out at 110,000 miles, and i thought they were the reason that my car was clunking when ever i entered a shopping center parking lot or going over a good old WI road full of pot holes :mad: But i guess it wasn't the whole problem. The car clunks a lot less and handles 10 fold better with the kyb agx struts but now i want to get rid of the last of the clunks. I've been told that it could either be my top-hats or my end-links. I didn't change my top-hats with the sturts because of the price but now i'm wondering if I should of done that. Any input would be helpful, also i looked at the endlinks and they look slightly worn.... not sure if i would go to a new stock endlink or if anyone knows of some endlinks for under 75.00

Thanks in advance,

Mike

·
Moderating on the run!
12,481 Posts
before going through the expense of new tops better to eliminate any other possible sources

it could be end links, simply disconnect one side and drive the same roads- clunk still there- it's not the links, clunk gone replace

check the jack in your trunk- this often loosens and makes a clunk noise, same w/ the spare tire

check the rear seat supports (must remove the rear seats) these often come loose and clunk too

last give the strut top nut a little (not lots!) zap w/ an air gun, these OFTEN don't get fully seated causing a clunk

if after checking all the above, it's a chance it is a strup top that failed (doesn't happen often, but occasionally)

sometimes it also helps having someone in the rear seat while driving around the offending roads w/ his/her ear trying to determine the location of the clunk- this will often reveal/eliminate certain things

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for all the tips, i hope it is just the sway bar end links and not the top hats:)

·
Moderating on the run!
12,481 Posts
no problem- make sure you post up when you discover the culprit- helps us make diagnoses in the future

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
will do, and hopefully i'll be posting it was just the end links.

·
Registered
52 Posts
clunks can come from numerous parts, especially on a higher mileage car, start with **** tops! Cause everyone loves ****s! Anyways, thats the MOST LIKELY cause, however, all the other causes here well may be the reason, also dont rule out subframe-um bushings! Theyre normally a lighter clunk but more feel to it, hope ya gets 'er fixed man!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts