Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2002 Impreza WRX. Just today I have noticed a loud clunking/popping noise from my front left suspension while turning left and returning my steering to straight, nothing while turning right. I bought the car about a month and a half ago and the person said they replaced all the struts right before selling it, but did not replace the strut mounts. There is a crack visible in the strut mount visible from the top. Does this sound like a strut mount issue? I checked the 12mm bolts (they were tight) I checked the 17mm bolt (it was tight). Just want some input before I start replacing parts.

·
BooSTIng
2,260 Posts
With the clicking/clunking while turning left I would check your left axle. That is usually a good sign of the CV axle going bad. If you are handy and like a DIY, jack your car up and support it with jack stands. Get under the car and grab the axle around the CV joint and move it up and down. IF there is more than a 1/2 inch of movement then your axle is done for.

If you have any mechanical know-how then replacing the axle is cheap and pretty easy (I would rate the difficulty around a 1 and 1/2-2 out of 5 stars).

·
BooSTIng
2,260 Posts
And when you say a crack in the strut mount that you can see from the top, are you talking about the top hat? I don't think a crack would give out a loud or noticeable clicking/clunking sound. But it should be replaced also if there is a crack in it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And when you say a crack in the strut mount that you can see from the top, are you talking about the top hat? I don't think a crack would give out a loud or noticeable clicking/clunking sound. But it should be replaced also if there is a crack in it.
Yes sorry, the top hat. Im just wondering if that crack somehow allowed moisture to get in the bearing in the strut mount?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the clicking/clunking while turning left I would check your left axle. That is usually a good sign of the CV axle going bad. If you are handy and like a DIY, jack your car up and support it with jack stands. Get under the car and grab the axle around the CV joint and move it up and down. IF there is more than a 1/2 inch of movement then your axle is done

If you have any mechanical know-how then replacing the axle is cheap and pretty easy (I would rate the difficulty around a 1 and 1/2-2 out of 5 stars).
The issue is, it's not a consistant pop (like it isnt coming from the axle spinning while turned) it seems like it is from the actual stress of rotating the tire (almost like something is binding and freeing up as I turn left and then return to center)

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
Get the car up in the air and yank around on the wheel.. see if there's any play. From the description it could be a number of things.. CV joint, ball joint, control arm (02-03 model year front control arms are known to rust out). Hell, it could even be a loose wheel.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Get the car up in the air and yank around on the wheel.. see if there's any play. From the description it could be a number of things.. CV joint, ball joint, control arm (02-03 model year front control arms are known to rust out). Hell, it could even be a loose wheel.
Ok, I'll do that tomorrow and update with what I find!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I should also mention that I can get it to make the same noise by pushing down on the car above the drivers side front tire!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh jeese I didnt think it was related, but since I got the car it has had memory steer. Turns out the #1 cause of this is worn and binding strut bearings! Guess I know what im doing this weekend!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I figured I would come back and let yall know what i figured out! Turns out I had loose Lugs and failing strut mount bearings!

·
Premium Member
6,716 Posts
So I figured I would come back and let yall know what i figured out! Turns out I had loose Lugs and failing strut mount bearings!

A loose wheel will do it every time. :p

For the top hats, I recommend these: https://www.rallysportdirect.com/part/top-hats/whi-kca409-whiteline-com-c-caster-camber-adjusting-strut-mount?gclid=Cj0KCQjw28_XBRDhARIsAEk21FjCRYWHsOs6QqSUEM-ggByn_Al8Ejkr9W3CldNcJUJP0TmIJ9f5zhMaAov4EALw_wcB

While I was at it I would go ahead and replace the rear top hats with Group N ones, but that's just me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts