ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I started having an odd clunking a few weeks back while turning into my office parking lot that I could feel in the pedals/shifter. Did some research and decided the first/cheapest thing to check was my front axles. Both inner CV boots were torn although there was still grease on the knuckles. I replaced both axles with GSP brand from Advance Auto over the Thanksgiving holiday.

Unfortunately the problem has persisted and probably gotten more noticeable at times. It is beginning to seem like there is a link between this and the occasional transmission whine I've been experiencing for a few months. Sometimes this whine will be very audible and I can almost feel that the car isn't driving right and then suddenly I'll get one of these clunks and the transmission whine will become MUCH quieter - almost to a normal level. So this kind of makes it seem like the thing is having trouble between gears or something?? Happens almost exclusively in lower gears - 1st, 2nd...

What's my next step in troubleshooting this? Would changing the transmission fluid and putting in a bottle of that goop thats supposed to help shifting, etc. help?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad CV. Basically I'd examine the CVs and see if there's any play in them. If the noise only happens when turning, that would point me towards a bad CV.

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I replaced a front axle on a car with a cheapo one like you bought and it failed within the first 5 miles or so. I'd check them over to make sure the same thing didn't happen to you. In my case the entire axle basically came apart, but thankfully the problem started at low speeds on local roads so it didn't destroy my car like it would have if it had happened on the highway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just looked at them again and everything seems fine. they are nice and tight with only 2 or 3 millimeters of play on the axle between the wheel and the center diff...i think thats good?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
How many miles on your car? Have you ever done a front diff or tranny flush?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
I'd start right there with new tranny and diff fluid. Subaru OEM is what you want.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I need a transmission flush or would a do it yourself fluid change do the trick? Also is the differential fluid change a similar difficulty task or do I need to take it to a shop?

·
Registered
6,751 Posts
It's always better to do a flush to get as much of the old fluid out as possible, but in reality you can get probably 90-95% our yourself. I think that would be fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What about the differential fluid? I was under the impression that the diff shared fluid with the transmission?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok so i drained the transmission and replaced the fluid and got a couple of big metal pieces out during the process... :( i guess its only a matter of time before the transmission dies i'm sure. so i guess my next step is to figure out the cheapest way to replace the tranny once it goes

IMG_20111217_193900.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts