Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put on an xpel clear bra and for those of you who would rather do it yourself than let some monkey touch your car, I have some tips.

First off, let me just say that after working with the hood of the car I can state with absolute certainty that the paint Subaru uses is the thinnest $hit in the automotive industry. I have 8K on my car and the front end was loaded with little chips. I spent about 3 hours using touch-up paint and filling in chips one at a time. After letting it dry overnight I wetsanded the high spots with 2000 grit. Using ZERO pressure on the paper you should be able to just drag the paper back and forth and take out the high spots while barely scraping the paint. After not even sanding long enough to get rid of the factory orange peel I went through the clear and into the pearl coat in two areas.

On to the xpel:
First off, don't do this alone. You need a second set of hands to hold the slip solution bottle and keep everything soaking wet to prevent adhesion. It is also helpful to have a second set of eyes to look for bubbles. Your work area should be insanely bright, but do not do this outside - the only bubbles I have are around tiny pieces of dirt and outdoors would only make it worse. When you squeegee, take very short, overlapping strokes starting at the middle of any curve. The most difficult area on the hood is the concave curves by the headlights. This is another time when a second set of hands is very helpful. DO THE HOOD LAST. The small pieces are easy and give you a good feel for how the material stretches.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would like to add some comments if you dont mind.

First, do not install in the sun. Have at least two bottles of solution at all times. Install the fenders BEFORE the hood so the line up will be correct. DO NOT grip in to the adhesive side too much, try to do all your aligning by using the top of the material as best as you can.

There are a lot more tips an tricks to do a proper install. The MOST important is have patience.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts