ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to clay bar too much? I've been doing it almost every car wash lately and I read up on clay barring saying that it shouldn't be done too often. I also accidently rubbed dry clay without lube over a small area on the hood. However, I just lubed the dried clay and it came right off. Damage assessment? I couldn't see or feel any damage. Am I OK?

Dan

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you didn't lube that spot and ran the claybar over it, make sure you remove any clay that got left behind!! Otherwise it won't come off for a number of washes

·
Registered
177 Posts
You should only clay your car once or twice a year... at most three times. Regardless of what people say and what has been written about how clay bars won't damage your paint, with each application, you ARE taking off a bit of the clear coat.

I don't know why you were using it everytime you wash your car, but it is a very much waste of time, clay, and clear coat. The only time I use a clay bar on my car is when I can feel tiny, rough bumps on my paint after washing. And after claying my car, the paint becomes so damn smooth that I shouldn't have to clay it again for at least another year.

And of course, you're supposed to apply a safe coat of polish and wax over your paint to protect the newly smoothed-out paint from everyday-driving particles.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts