ClubWRX Forum banner

101 - 103 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'd personally go to a few local dealerships to get a buy price and then ask what's the wiggle room for trade. No need to tell the dealer the history (after working in the car sales industry I have no remorse for not disclosing things to any dealer because no matter how good, they aren't telling you the whole story ever)

If those figures are to your liking, sell it and walk away. If not, then go your route above. The advantage of buying from a person is full disclosure (for honest sellers). So XJman offered good advice of telling them exactly what's going on, provide records if you have them. If you sell it to a dealer once paperwork is done (3-5 business days later) you can tell them about the engine warranty (if it's transferrable).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I figured i would post this and maybe help someone out who has dealt with similar issues to me and maybe someone is closer to this than me. So basically long story short i bought my Sti in 2013 over the course of 44k miles and 5 years its had 3 engine replacements (no not due to maliciousness on my part or running it out of oil). The first one went at 5k miles due to a failed oil pump, the 2nd due to metal shards found in the oil during a routine oil change, the 3rd was just 2 months ago and pushed a rod straight through the block. My luck of course my warranty had expired a month prior so i say ill take it to the dealer anyway and see what they say. They quote me 12000$ (no thats not a typo) for everything to be fixed. I told the guy hey i don't just have 12k laying around my house so i decide to talk with subaru and explain my case. I tell them hey this is engine #4 there has to be something wrong with the car to have that happen (especially since this engine had 14k miles this time at failure). The lady said well we need to do a tear down and find exactly what went wrong. It takes a month before someone finally gives me a direct answer what went wrong and subaru says well we can pay for half of the cost and you pay the remaining 6k, i tell them no this wasn't my fault i shouldn't have to pay a dime. She speaks with the district rep and they come to the conclusion that subaru will pay for 11k of it with me picking up the remaining 1k. While this deal was still not what i wanted i also learned of a class action lawsuit against subaru for the 2012-17 wrxs and stis with EJ motors in them. Where it says that subaru had already agreed to terms of extending the warranty to 8 years and 100k miles and repaying any repairs anyone with a subaru would have had to make along with rental car expenses, the whole 9 yards. So i mention this to the subaru rep and the dealer i was talking to and everyone treats it like i was talking about voldemort in harry potter and say "I can't discuss this with you" or "we don't know yet because it hasn't settled". Apparently the court case is set for a final hearing in february on the 20th (court case Vicente Salcedo v. Subaru of America Inc). If it stands this would be huge for anyone who has suffered like i have with a car they truly enjoyed. For the mean time i agreed to pay the 1000$ with assurance when the class action settles ill be repaid just so i can get my car back and stop driving this rental. I found it equally upsetting though that the subaru rep responded her last email with "we stand by our product" when they clearly didnt 100% in this situation or even acknowledge that there is a court case out there. With the new engine i have a 12m 12k mile warranty to at least last me until the lawsuit finalizes and either unload my car or make plans to keep it.
Is this class action also relevant to 2017 with a 2.0 L engine? Mine just blew up the other day. Everything is stock in my car and I am not under my warranty anymore. Im just trying to find someone who has some personal knowledge of this and can help me with Subaru dealing with them paying for my engine to be fixed. Thank you

101 - 103 of 103 Posts