ClubWRX Forum banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Yeah i haven't paid anything yet since i still don't have the car back from the dealer, apparently it failed emissions the minute they put the new engine back in so they had to order more parts and a new exhaust. They sent me the coupon for 1500$ but i replied thanks but i'm going to consult a lawyer before i accept or use this just to see what it stirs up. Worst case i could wait until the class action gets settled. I don't think its worth it to sue at this point but you never know i'm gonna chat with a local lawyer i know and see what he knows. If the class action will refund any of the lost value i'm going to probably suffer by replacing multiple engines and extend my warranty then i think it would be worth it to just wait. I'm going to make sure when i pick up the car that i have in writing "this will not void any future claims or class action settlements" so they don't try and hold it over my head. They said the car is supposed to be done sometimes this week and SOA informed me to keep all my receipts. We shall see what happens. Thanks for the info.

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
I guess the FA started in the model year 2018 by what I'm reading. I didn't see this posting before I purchased my daughter a 2017 WRX. From what I have read here I believe this car has the EJ engine and would be prone to having the same engine problems? I purchased it with 15,000 miles as a CPO vehicle from the dealership so it is warranted to 100,000 miles. To answer the question about the $1000 they paid you was to keep you from going to a car attorney. The car attorney would take your case, but for $570 is it really worth it to sue them. reason I said $570 is because you would have to pay the filling fee to Lemon Law Guru.com and I think he charged me $430 for the filing fee. Bottomline is that cars are expected to go 120,000 miles without a HUGE amounts of trips to the dealership/service shop. The person with 3 engines has the repeat offender and my "guess" would qualify for the lemon law if you want them to pay you back for the car. Only Natan at Lemonlawguru could tell you for sure. Anyway, I hope I helped you understand where they came to the $1000 they paid you. Natan helped me 2 years ago return (for full refund) my wife's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee for emissions issues. Relative to Rallycross cars, I have a Ford Focus RS. I purchased a skidplate from the skidplate guy and I have purchased some Rally cross wheels and snow tires to race in the Stock class of CalRallyx stuff. I think the RS does a great job competing with Subaru STI. If you cross the WRX twin scroll with the STI, you have the RS. I think the ride is better than the STI and not quite as good as the WRX. That being said, I'm playing around with a DSC sport controller ($1050) to see if I can get even better ride quality on my RS. Happy trails and good Luck. Lee Lewis
The 2015 and newer WRX all are equipped with the FA20F engine. The STI is the only one still trudging along with the EJ257.
Yeah i haven't paid anything yet since i still don't have the car back from the dealer, apparently it failed emissions the minute they put the new engine back in so they had to order more parts and a new exhaust. They sent me the coupon for 1500$ but i replied thanks but i'm going to consult a lawyer before i accept or use this just to see what it stirs up. Worst case i could wait until the class action gets settled. I don't think its worth it to sue at this point but you never know i'm gonna chat with a local lawyer i know and see what he knows. If the class action will refund any of the lost value i'm going to probably suffer by replacing multiple engines and extend my warranty then i think it would be worth it to just wait. I'm going to make sure when i pick up the car that i have in writing "this will not void any future claims or class action settlements" so they don't try and hold it over my head. They said the car is supposed to be done sometimes this week and SOA informed me to keep all my receipts. We shall see what happens. Thanks for the info.
I genuinely believe you've got far more patience than I do. I loved my WRX however I wouldn't even humor getting another one after the problems you've had.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
304 Posts
The STI is the only one still trudging along with the EJ257. I genuinely believe you've got far more patience than I do. I loved my WRX however I wouldn't even humor getting another one after the problems you've had.

I'm experiencing one issue with my car, and I already doubt I'd buy that brand in the future lol unless I move and the dealer experience is WAY different. I would have fought for a buyback the first time lol "New engine?! Nah I'm good, give it to the next owner"

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
That would really surprise me. There is no way the EJ as it sits would be viable for another generation of vehicle considering emissions and efficiency regulations.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Also side note ive been debating taking Subaru to small claims court for the lost resale value of having so many engines, repairs, towing, ect. Ive been talking to a lawyer and some other people and they seem to think its the best course of action to get my money back.

·
Registered
180 Posts
you certainly can. Make sure you go get a proper appraisal.

and the whole EJ thing hasn't come directly from subaru XJ, but with the S209 being released with bigger injectors, reinforced rods, and a bigger turbo to make that 341, I'd be a little surprised if the 2020 revealed something else.

Of course, this opinion is pure speculation. They could very well give the EJ one last hurah and a little house cleaning of engines before releasing an FA variant as well.

Just seems to be less likely of that with the s209's recent reveal.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Not sure if this is a viable idea or not . . . but have you considered a WRX with the FA engine instead of the STI. Maybe it's me being a Pollyanna, but it seems like the un-modded WRX engines seem to be pretty stout overall.

Of course, you may be soured on Subaru which would be understandable at this point.

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
Also side note ive been debating taking Subaru to small claims court for the lost resale value of having so many engines, repairs, towing, ect. Ive been talking to a lawyer and some other people and they seem to think its the best course of action to get my money back.
That's an interesting angle. It actually makes sense because this process has generally tanked the value of your vehicle to the point the 1500 they are offering you doesn't cover even a fraction of the loss of value of a vehicle with multiple engine replacements

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not sure if this is a viable idea or not . . . but have you considered a WRX with the FA engine instead of the STI. Maybe it's me being a Pollyanna, but it seems like the un-modded WRX engines seem to be pretty stout overall.

Of course, you may be soured on Subaru which would be understandable at this point.
It's not a terrible idea, I feel the new WRX would be highly comparable to a 13 STI. Should actually feel peppier down low but it Won't have the top end grunt of the STI without a tune though. Speaking for myself, numbers would have to be literally perfect for me to go back to Subaru after this though..

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Well finally i got my car back today. Part of me is happy and part of me knows theres alot stuff still to come. Plus the customer service guy saying "oh well you can turn around and sell this car to some military guy for cash in hand" kinda rubbed me the wrong way. Am i supposed to say "hey this is engine #4 then get my cash in hand.

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
My honest opinion is to shop around locally for them. Find out what they are going for and shoot for it. Disclose the new shortblock and let them offer a few less than asking.

We both know some guy with more money than brains will pay new car retail for a 5 year old sti.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
you mean a few less than blue book? Theres no Stis around for sale in my year, only a 04,05,07, and a 2015. Yeah i'm sure i could rope someone into it especially consider its got a 1 year warranty on the new engine.

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
No not rope. Tell them the issue at hand. Offer it for sale at book value in perfect condition. You should get more than you owe and walk away clean.

You get out of a bad situation, a person gets a car at their terms.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts
About this Discussion
102 Replies
13 Participants
XJman
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing