ClubWRX Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
I'm not arguing that a buyback should likely occur at this point, but that's not what is being discussed at this point. $1500 when OP decides to trade in seems reasonable, but a greater allowance, or buyback also seems reasonable considering what the OP has shared. In the range of appropriate actions it seems what SOA has offered at this point is within the range of acceptable offers. It's on the lower end and the OP should likely keep pushing for more, but realistically full buybacks are extremely rare and the OP may not be fully eligible.

I would encourage the OP to talk with a local ambassador and their local dealer. If others are able to help out they would be more likely to get closer to the buyback option they are looking for. The dealer can reiterate that they have tried everything and the issue is not the OPs fault, and an ambassador can possibly add a $500 coupon which would bring the current offer to $2k.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
You are right. A buyback should occur. 1500 is a slap in the face.

·
Registered
304 Posts
but realistically full buybacks are extremely rare

I would encourage the OP to talk with a local ambassador and their local dealer. If others are able to help out they would be more likely to get closer to the buyback option they are looking for. The dealer can reiterate that they have tried everything and the issue is not the OPs fault, and an ambassador can possibly add a $500 coupon which would bring the current offer to $2k.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Full buybacks are rare due to customers having a mindset similar to yours "well something is better than nothing". If the car had a minor issue that didn't make it inoperable, sure $1500 is fair but he didn't have the car for 4 months.

The dealer won't do jack because they get screwed in this deal. They get a car that they are going to have to list at a very minimal profit level if they list it at all. And they have to give up inventory. Yes SOA is going to reimburse the dealer whatever SOA gives to the buyer jjbut the rest of the transaction is just like buying any other car.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Yeah i had already spoke to the dealer and they basically told me to kick rocks and what subaru says is what the offer is. Probably because as you said the dealer would be the one losing out on the deal. They claimed to have "fought for me" in regards to the repairs on the engine but i know thats bull****. The soa rep sent an email back after i explained everything i went through in detail and how i was very disappointed. I told her basically if the offer didnt improve i couldnt see myself hopping back in a subaru and she basically copy and pasted the 1500$ line which tells me they dont really give a crap if i buy one or not. Im caught in the middle of a rock and a hard place. I might call SOA and try and get a different rep and see if i can talk to them because 1500 is nothing.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah i had already spoke to the dealer and they basically told me to kick rocks and what subaru says is what the offer is. Probably because as you said the dealer would be the one losing out on the deal. They claimed to have "fought for me" in regards to the repairs on the engine but i know thats bull****. The soa rep sent an email back after i explained everything i went through in detail and how i was very disappointed. I told her basically if the offer didnt improve i couldnt see myself hopping back in a subaru and she basically copy and pasted the 1500$ line which tells me they dont really give a crap if i buy one or not. Im caught in the middle of a rock and a hard place. I might call SOA and try and get a different rep and see if i can talk to them because 1500 is nothing.
They probably weren't all the way lying on the service part. From a service standpoint, they don't really care where the 12k comes from. And if they don't get SOA to help, they don't get that RO. Good Luck with the different rep though or stringing it up the ladder. I'd start tossing around the L word to see if that gives them any second thoughts on their offer. I don't see any reasons you shouldn't pursue a Lemon Law case, if you bought it new.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm not all that familiar with lemon law admittedly...but I'm finding it a little hard how a car with 65k miles and failed outside of manufacturer warranty can be considered a lemon from the legal standpoint.
my understanding is it only failed once within the warranty right? oil pump early on? and the 2nd time was technician retardation.

Also, interestingly enough.. who is working on your car? is it a subaru master tech? some JR dude trying to learn? Wonder if that could play a role here.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
The subaru rep responded with "I have reviewed your case, and your vehicle does not meet the presumption of lemon law. I apologize for your experience with your vehicle." probably because it was 3 weeks out of warranty. So i responded with
"Well saying my vehicle doesn't meet the "lemon law" is kind of a joke though considering it was only 1 month out of the warranty and the time its spent in the shop well up to should cover the 1 month it was out of warranty including one time i brought it in for a routine oil change and they said it needed a new engine. Including now after they put my car together with the new engine it threw a check engine light after they put it back together. I'm well aware of the class action law suit Subaru is facing regarding the 11-14 Subaru STIs for failed engine problems from the case Vicente Salcedo, et al. v. Subaru of America Inc., which i'm to understand has already come to agreement just waiting for the court date in march. I'm not asking for the moon i just want to be compensated for the value my car has lost for having to list it as having "4 engines put in it" and was even trying to give Subaru another chance by buying one of your newer vehicles. 1500$ just isnt enough when i have to pay like 35k for a new one including like 5% interest and my car still isnt paid off from the first time i bought it. I hope you see where i'm coming from."

·
Registered
304 Posts
So I checked earlier this morning and in Alaska they seem to only honor Lemon law within the first year. Every state is different. If this most recent failure is within one year of the last one I would still contact a lawyer. I can't speak for Alaska but in Texas, a new warranty essentially restarts the clock. So if the engine that was just pulled came with a warranty it might have restarted the timeframe. If it didn't come with a warranty and instead was still reliant on the factory powertrain warranty you might be SOL until this new engine fails

Edit: I do like your response though, level and clear headed but firm. So many people resort to yelling instantly these days. Yelling or making absurd demands rarely works but could be a last ditch effort.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Welp i've spoken to pretty much every rep now at SOA and they all tell me the same thing "1,500$ seems fair and is the most they will offer, its been reviewed by management." I guess there is no one else i can talk to since they tell me its a dead issue now with a 1500 band-aid. Its actually bull**** and I will not be buying another. TBH id rather they just paid me cash for it instead of credit.

·
Master linguitist
10,036 Posts
Welp i've spoken to pretty much every rep now at SOA and they all tell me the same thing "1,500$ seems fair and is the most they will offer, its been reviewed by management." I guess there is no one else i can talk to since they tell me its a dead issue now with a 1500 band-aid. Its actually bull**** and I will not be buying another. TBH id rather they just paid me cash for it instead of credit.
Honestly, with the problems you've had I don't know why your would fight for another one considering they have made it clear they don't give a crap. I don't k of that it's worth a lawyer because they can easily out spend you on the legal side of things.

Hopefully whatever you decide on gives you a better run than the STI.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Thanks man. I want to buy a new STI but at the same time I feel like that's saying hey you guys can do whatever you want pretty much. i'm leaning towards an Audi because i need the AWD and don't want to drive a soccer mom car

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yeah looking for AWD that's fun and fast enough always brought me back to Subaru and Audi basically. VW too If you like hatchback and the Golf R.. or if you want a manual but don't care hatchback vs sedan.

Since it seems you are looking for new and thought about the S4 maybe try the Alfa Romeo Guilia. I think that would tickle your fancy.. I couldn't afford it so I didn't even bother asking to look at one lol

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
No Alfa R dealer here or service. Theres not even an Audi dealer here it would have to be trucked 365 miles away when it needs work which isnt a big deal if they transport it. My choices are really limited to Golf R, 2019 Subaru Sti, some Audi, or a Legacy.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you don't mind a hatch honestly the Golf R is perfect. Same performance as the S3 without the 10k markup for the name. The 2018/19 have the virtual cockpit (which is awesome, my A4 loaner had it). The interior is on par with the S3, if not better because it's traditional rather than the "jet" air vents and hideaway screen. The backseat was more spacious than that of the S3.. I, myself, prefer sedans so while my senses said to get the golf instead, my heart wanted the S3

·
Registered
304 Posts
+ DSG is pretty dang sweet
..in an STI considering an STI then I'd grab the golf in a manual. Little slower but worth it. My stupid body just won't let me DD a manual.
Off topic: Driving the automatic Audi has been relatively pain free, even on bad days.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
The paddle shifts dont bother me much. I used to be one of those people who were like manual or bust but auto transmissions have come along way and now the only benefit to a manual is you can launch it and a more in-tune driving experience with the car. Still the auto trans can put down about the same or better times now. I can't see myself in a golf R i just am not a fan of the hatchbacks. I had to choose when i bought my sti between a blue hatch sti or a DGM sedan and i chose the sedan. So that basically rules out VW and ford and leaves mercedes, Audi, or Subaru.

·
Registered
304 Posts
GLA45 AMG is nice too. It's a SUV with around the same ground clearance as the WRX lol BTW the Golf R has launch control in the auto. And I think all Audi cars have it (the A4 had it and it got off the line better than my S3 even though it's not faster to 60)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess the FA started in the model year 2018 by what I'm reading. I didn't see this posting before I purchased my daughter a 2017 WRX. From what I have read here I believe this car has the EJ engine and would be prone to having the same engine problems? I purchased it with 15,000 miles as a CPO vehicle from the dealership so it is warranted to 100,000 miles. To answer the question about the $1000 they paid you was to keep you from going to a car attorney. The car attorney would take your case, but for $570 is it really worth it to sue them. reason I said $570 is because you would have to pay the filling fee to Lemon Law Guru.com and I think he charged me $430 for the filing fee. Bottomline is that cars are expected to go 120,000 miles without a HUGE amounts of trips to the dealership/service shop. The person with 3 engines has the repeat offender and my "guess" would qualify for the lemon law if you want them to pay you back for the car. Only Natan at Lemonlawguru could tell you for sure. Anyway, I hope I helped you understand where they came to the $1000 they paid you. Natan helped me 2 years ago return (for full refund) my wife's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee for emissions issues. Relative to Rallycross cars, I have a Ford Focus RS. I purchased a skidplate from the skidplate guy and I have purchased some Rally cross wheels and snow tires to race in the Stock class of CalRallyx stuff. I think the RS does a great job competing with Subaru STI. If you cross the WRX twin scroll with the STI, you have the RS. I think the ride is better than the STI and not quite as good as the WRX. That being said, I'm playing around with a DSC sport controller ($1050) to see if I can get even better ride quality on my RS. Happy trails and good Luck. Lee Lewis

61 - 80 of 103 Posts
About this Discussion
102 Replies
13 Participants
XJman
ClubWRX Forum
We invite you to join our Subaru Impreza WRX and STi community to discuss engine mods, builds, detailing, and more.
Full Forum Listing