ClubWRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured i would post this and maybe help someone out who has dealt with similar issues to me and maybe someone is closer to this than me. So basically long story short i bought my Sti in 2013 over the course of 44k miles and 5 years its had 3 engine replacements (no not due to maliciousness on my part or running it out of oil). The first one went at 5k miles due to a failed oil pump, the 2nd due to metal shards found in the oil during a routine oil change, the 3rd was just 2 months ago and pushed a rod straight through the block. My luck of course my warranty had expired a month prior so i say ill take it to the dealer anyway and see what they say. They quote me 12000$ (no thats not a typo) for everything to be fixed. I told the guy hey i don't just have 12k laying around my house so i decide to talk with subaru and explain my case. I tell them hey this is engine #4 there has to be something wrong with the car to have that happen (especially since this engine had 14k miles this time at failure). The lady said well we need to do a tear down and find exactly what went wrong. It takes a month before someone finally gives me a direct answer what went wrong and subaru says well we can pay for half of the cost and you pay the remaining 6k, i tell them no this wasn't my fault i shouldn't have to pay a dime. She speaks with the district rep and they come to the conclusion that subaru will pay for 11k of it with me picking up the remaining 1k. While this deal was still not what i wanted i also learned of a class action lawsuit against subaru for the 2012-17 wrxs and stis with EJ motors in them. Where it says that subaru had already agreed to terms of extending the warranty to 8 years and 100k miles and repaying any repairs anyone with a subaru would have had to make along with rental car expenses, the whole 9 yards. So i mention this to the subaru rep and the dealer i was talking to and everyone treats it like i was talking about voldemort in harry potter and say "I can't discuss this with you" or "we don't know yet because it hasn't settled". Apparently the court case is set for a final hearing in february on the 20th (court case Vicente Salcedo v. Subaru of America Inc). If it stands this would be huge for anyone who has suffered like i have with a car they truly enjoyed. For the mean time i agreed to pay the 1000$ with assurance when the class action settles ill be repaid just so i can get my car back and stop driving this rental. I found it equally upsetting though that the subaru rep responded her last email with "we stand by our product" when they clearly didnt 100% in this situation or even acknowledge that there is a court case out there. With the new engine i have a 12m 12k mile warranty to at least last me until the lawsuit finalizes and either unload my car or make plans to keep it.

·
Master linguitist
10,105 Posts
That’s bull in my opinion. 14k on an engine that suffers a catastrophic failure is entirely a defect in the engine itself.

I’ve seen all kinds of speculation about the cause of this, but there is an obvious design flaw somewhere in the lubrication system. Under or oversized oil passages, inadequate pump, inadequate filter allowing the bypass to remain open, poor pickup/pan design.

I’m curious as to what specific to the 2012 would have changed to exclude anything prior though. As far as I’m aware nothing at all changed on the lubrication side of things.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Yeah, I happened to read about this yesterday. Truly troubling. This is going to hurt Subaru significantly. And, if they knowingly cut corners, it should.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
How the FFF is this 12K? I'm also skeptical of them quoting your 12k, but then also saying they don't exactly know what needs to be replaced until they break the motor down. Will it really cost 12k for a new motor? Don't most people pay between $5,000-$6,000 for the dealership to repair a blown motor? Or, is this case different, because of the nature of the failure?

·
BooSTIng
2,618 Posts
Please keep us posted on the outcome JB, as I am curious as well. I thought about taking this route with my STi, as I just spun a rod bearing with only 57k miles. But my car is pretty modified and im sure they would point the blame at all of modifications, so I haven't even bothered.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be unusually high labor costs but im not too sure on the exacts i just know when they said 12k my butthole clenched and was like nope. thats what i thought too XJ that nothing really changed from 11 to 12 but maybe there was some change i dont know about.

·
Registered
180 Posts
if you like the platform, fix it and trade it for a 19. They have "technically better ringlands" so supposedly they're a better motor...although it's really more marketing then anything.

Otherwise, hold onto it and see what's revealed in 2020. If its an FA motor, you're golden.

if its not, buy something else.

·
Registered
180 Posts
they both have their cases of "i did absolutely nothing and blew up"

the nice thing at least with the EJ is there is tons of information on how to prevent x. I'm inclined to believe the majority of people who have blown up an EJ pushed too much power through it, or didn't do some of the mods that benefit the engine - stock power or not.

Regarding the FA, I think there are less cases year-over-year then the EJ. My understanding w/ the FA is you're more or less good as long as you keep your wheel torque under 350 and if you run flex to keep at/around e50; no more.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wouldn't say "golden" is the wording i'd use to describe anything subaru related at this point. to be honest the way the dealer and SOA handled the entire ordeal was kind of bull and if i wouldn't have called the lady out on knowing about the class action she wouldn't have said a word. i'm caught between a rock and a hard place because i want another Awd car thats fun to drive so i looked at an audi S4 but there isnt a shop that works on audis here so i would need to take it 365 miles for service. I am not a fan of the golf R, and maybe ill look at getting a new STI but at this point im kind of spent on the whole idea and may just drive my car around til it blows up again.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sadly the VW dealership is also 365 miles away. The 2 car companies that arent sold here :( that and jaguar. I looked into a jeep, Legacy, Sti. so far havent made up my mind but we will see if i can sell the car after i get it back.

·
Registered
180 Posts
part of me wonders if you're doing something wrong too. There aren't many stories of people going through THIS many engines.

Mind if I ask what type of oil you use, how frequently you change oil, and if you let the car warm up properly in those cold alaska winters?

I know that with my oil cooler covered in 20-48* weather, my car still takes about 5 minutes of sitting to get coolant to 150~ and another 10-12 minutes of driving for oil to reach 180.

Being as sensitive as the car is, if you're not allowing it to warm up properly, or are beating on it within a few minutes of driving, this could lead to some failures as you go.

Not saying its your fault of course since the STI has no inherent way to measure these values accurately. and Yes, I still retained the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger.

·
Master linguitist
10,105 Posts
part of me wonders if you're doing something wrong too. There aren't many stories of people going through THIS many engines.

Mind if I ask what type of oil you use, how frequently you change oil, and if you let the car warm up properly in those cold alaska winters?

I know that with my oil cooler covered in 20-48* weather, my car still takes about 5 minutes of sitting to get coolant to 150~ and another 10-12 minutes of driving for oil to reach 180.

Being as sensitive as the car is, if you're not allowing it to warm up properly, or are beating on it within a few minutes of driving, this could lead to some failures as you go.

Not saying its your fault of course since the STI has no inherent way to measure these values accurately. and Yes, I still retained the stock oil/coolant heat exchanger.
Oh yes there are. I don’t know what planet you live on. This isn’t remotely unheard of. In fact this isn’t the first thread about this topic on this forum.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts