Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. I know this is the wrong message board for this post but I find that you guys are 1)very knowledgeable and informative 2)unbiased unless we're talking about the WRX
Can't get a WRX. It's too pricey for me.
So I'm looking into either the SiR or the SE-R Spec V. Can't get a VW GTI 1.8T because it's also a little pricey. I live in Edmonton, Canada so the cars are little more money here.
Some info about me:
I'm 27 and i'm not into modding or racing my car. I'm into cars that are more stealth (that's why I liked the WRX)
I'm leaning towards the SiR because I like the style both inside & out, but its also more money for less power and torque.
The SE-R is definitely more bang for the buck but I can't get over the styling. The rear end is ugly and reminds me of a neon or plymouth breeze? I'm also not crazy about the looks because it reminds me of an 18 year kids car (no offense!) I have a feeling that in couple of years I will get tired of the style.

Any of you unbiased WRX owners can give me some advice as to what would make a better buy?

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
sounds like you made the decision for yourself. Don't get the SE-R if you think it looks ugly - you'll probably always think that. Go with the Si-R. I think they both look alright

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for you reply.

yeah i know its seems i made a decision already but I always like getting a different opinion, in case I'm not thinking about something that I should be or if my emotions are getting in the way.
Tell me straight out which ones suck and why.

·
Registered
907 Posts
What the heck? SiR in US????

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
hehe. in Canada they badged the car as an SiR. Since we're a smaller market they often package a vehicle with certain options.
for example. In the states the spoiler and heated seats on the WRX are an option. Up here they come standard, but it doesn't always mean a better price though

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My price range is max $26K (Cdn)
There is alot of cars in this price range,all of them in the entry class. i.e. Corolla, Focus. The Civic SiR is definitley alot more money than those ones

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know....
have you had any problems with the car. I have been reading about alot of paint problems.

·
: : J-Lovin Moderator: :
556 Posts
Dude If I were you, I would find a Acura Integra Type R. I love those things. Especially in white!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok guys. thanks for you input but I really need to know about these 2 cars. The Integra Type R is nice but its not on my list.

·
Registered
223 Posts
There have been a bunch of comparisons done between the SI, Spec V, and GTI. Check out Road & Track, Car & Driver, Motor Trend, SCC, etc. I think the Spec V is more fun to drive and gives you more performance out of the box, but looks seem to be more important to you anyway. For what it's worth, Hondas have better resale value.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gee, does it seem that I'm all about the looks? I sure hope not because I really like the WRX even though the looks aren't that great.
The sentra has blase styling but good performance
The Civic has not bad looks but the performance could be better
Its a pretty tough call.

·
Registered
110 Posts
PhreeZe said:
Dude If I were you, I would find a Acura Integra Type R. I love those things. Especially in white!
I think they even come Milano Red in Canada!!! I miss my Milano Red Si :rolleyes: But on to bigger and better things I guess...

For those of you that don't know, the SiR in Canada is the Si here. They even get silver ones :mad: An Si with bolt-ons can run ~15.1 which isn't too shabby. I would get one over the SE-R. The SE-R is actually a slower car :rolleyes:

·
Registered
907 Posts
Spidey said:
ok guys. thanks for you input but I really need to know about these 2 cars. The Integra Type R is nice but its not on my list.
Picky list...the ITR is one heck of a car! Shame on you :mad:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The SE-R comes in Aztec Red, but yes the SiR does come in Silver.
I know i'm picky but i'm hesitant to get a used Integra Type R for one they will be hard to find up here and two, they will likely be modded and driven hard. no offense but I won't buy a 2nd hand
WRX. its too risky to know what the driver did to it or how it was treated.
Is the Matrix worth getting? or how about the GTI.
The Celica is outside my price range and although I like how it looks, I wouldn't drive one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Matrix is a mini-minivan. The GTI 337 is badass! The 1.8t is ok too though.

Lol... The Matrix actually has an 8200 rpm redline... the 02 Celica GTS was reduced to only 7600... naughty Toyota!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was in the same situation before I bought my WRX. I test drove the SE-R spec v, the U.S. Civic SI, and the RSX type-s. Pound for pound I thought the best of the bunch was the SE-R. If my memory serves me correctly the spec-v comes standard w/ 6 speed trans, 17” wheels, front DIFFERENTIAL, and a 2.5 inline four that has neck breaking torque down low. As far as styling I agree with you that the SE-R does need a$$ implants for its saggy rear end. Maybe you can get past that.

As for the Honda my test drive of the new si left me disappointed mainly due to the fact that I owned a 99’ si which was more fun to drive. Besides, every one and their mama has a Honda.

The bottom line is that you should buy the car that leaves a bigger smile on your face. If you can’t make up your mind maybe you should wait awhile and save a little more $$$ and buy a WRX. That’s what I did.

·
: : J-Lovin Moderator: :
556 Posts
Aright Spidey if I were you I would do this, FIND A INTEGRA TYPE R. Haha seriously dude the engine is very strong. Even if the owner drove it hard, if you bought it and took care of it, it will be as good as new. But since you dont want the Integra Type R for some odd reason, I would go for the VW GTI 1.8T. If you chip it, oh man its gonna be some fun for you. Here's another option for you, The new Celica GT. My friend has one, man is it nice. Aggressive looks with a very nice interior. Of course he had the action package so that made the exterior very nice. The Celica GT can be bought for $20,000 US money.

Jason

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is gonna be like throwing goldfish to the piranas, but I would look into the SVT Focus. On the track it will smoke any of those cars you listed. I even know a couple guys who hang with WRX's (stock ones that is) on the Road courses despite being outpowered. The motor in the SVT has a very similar tq curve to a turbo motor, its very suprising, peaking at 170/145. At 17,995 US, its a pretty damn good deal too. And there is a blower on the way boosting it to at least 230 crank hp, and even better it may be offered as dealer installed (warrantied) option.

PS my friend just got a 337, it is indeed badass looking, still breaking it in and yet to really open it up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts