Subaru WRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

While performing a stupid parking lot manuever, I made enough of a ruckus to get a patrol car's attention. I received a citation for "Spinning wheels". This is in Maryland.

Thing is this. He wrote on the citation "no points". My question is this: can the officer do that? If so, that is good for me, because it appears that there is usually 1 point for this. Help?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've always heard that you can't be cited for something you do in a parking long because you are not on public roads.

Maybe he was just trying to scare you? :confused:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The citation does have a fine on it of $50,

Just that I still don't know how the officer can decide whether points or no points can be applied to the citation at the scene. I thought only the judge did that.

FYI, it was nothing overly wreckless. Got back from a concert. Totally empty parking lot. I try to drive very cautious when other people are around.

·
Registered
424 Posts
From Officers that I know and have spoken too. You can do "dougnuts" in front of him on private property and as long as you aren't putting bystander's at risk, the cop CAN'T give you ticket. The can proceed with other measures if the OWNER of the parking lot files a complaint, or calls the police to have you removed.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
jmussetter said:
From Officers that I know and have spoken too. You can do "dougnuts" in front of him on private property and as long as you aren't putting bystander's at risk, the cop CAN'T give you ticket. The can proceed with other measures if the OWNER of the parking lot files a complaint, or calls the police to have you removed.
You are in California, he is in Maryland. MD is a pretty strict state.

You bring up a valid point though, if you wanted to go to court to argue (which costs you time and aggravation) you do have a strong case.

Just pay the fine.

-Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts